jgoose71

Time to register/ban Pressure Cookers?

>I could go on and on but if one is determined one may create a great deal of mischief with common house hold items.

Exactly! Knowledge+Hatred fed determination=Very hard to stop.
This kind of violence hasn't been uncommon in the world for as long as I can remember.
I'm 50 years old.

Guns are designed to kill people,....

You want to re-write that with a little more fact and less emotional scare tactic?

Guns are designed to accelerate pieces of lead. Just like cars are designed to turn gasoline into CO2. QED.

Don

Guns are designed to kill people,....

You want to re-write that with a little more fact and less emotional scare tactic?

Guns are designed to accelerate pieces of lead. Just like cars are designed to turn gasoline into CO2. QED.

Don

Non sequitur. Guns are designed to propel a projectile from the barrel with precision. Automobiles are designed to turn an energy source into forward movement on the ground.

Using your fossil fuels into water and carbon dioxide is more equivalent - and equally ridiculous - to turning kinetic energy into heat and high pressure. (It also ignores diesel, biofuel, and other gas alternative vehicles)

You had guns right, but went full ridiculous on the car analogy.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Hi Paul,

This is not in reply to your posting.

It is just another dufus with a gun.

http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-city/index.ssf/2013/04/girl_shot_in_face_in_gun-clean.html

It now turns out that he was trying to get a job in some type of security position and was practicing his quick draw.

Some people should not be allowed to have access to guns.

JerryBaumchen

Training requirements that exist in only 6 states. Which means 88% of US states have zero training requirement. So do you believe expanding those requirements would have absolutely no impact on accidental deaths? Or just not enough? I'm not sure I'd be comfortable having the NRA effectively marketing direct to kids - I had a hard time taking their website as anything other than propaganda. I do feel that if you're a gun owner and a parent, you damn well should be teaching your kids firearm safety and storing the weapons securely. Anything less is just negligent.

for an Aussie you seem to have very specific knowledge of US requirements. Or did you get that off a political website? I question its accuracy and will also point out that California alone represents more than 10% of the population. Treating it at 2% is an error.

You're also quick to dismiss the NRA material, without having even viewed it. Seems a bit closed minded.

But yes, my opinion is that your (not really spelled out) proposal will have no measurable incremental impact on accidental shootings, but will burden millions.

Wikipedia was the source (take that as you will), scrolling through all the states requirements I only counted 6 states with mandatory training as a condition of purchase. The 88% just came from dividing 6 into 50, but in hindsight you're correct that isn't an accurate indicator of population per se.

RE: The NRA material, fair enough, I'd be open to reading what was proposed. I found their website to be over the top propagada, but that doesn't mean that's all they do... :P

With the last point, I guess we'll have to respectfully agree to disagree. It would be nice to see it trialled at least to see if there's an impact, and hey if I'm wrong the ditch the requirements. I know that's an unrealistic fantasy. Ah well... [:/]
You are playing chicken with a planet - you can't dodge and planets don't blink. Act accordingly.

With the last point, I guess we'll have to respectfully agree to disagree. It would be nice to see it trialled at least to see if there's an impact, and hey if I'm wrong the ditch the requirements. I know that's an unrealistic fantasy. Ah well... [:/]

we have trialled it - states like CA, all hunter safety courses, etc. Should be no shortage of data to prove or disprove the value without having to spend billions 'just to see.'

Training requirements that exist in only 6 states. Which means 88% of US states have zero training requirement. So do you believe expanding those requirements would have absolutely no impact on accidental deaths? Or just not enough? I'm not sure I'd be comfortable having the NRA effectively marketing direct to kids - I had a hard time taking their website as anything other than propaganda. I do feel that if you're a gun owner and a parent, you damn well should be teaching your kids firearm safety and storing the weapons securely. Anything less is just negligent.

for an Aussie you seem to have very specific knowledge of US requirements. Or did you get that off a political website? I question its accuracy and will also point out that California alone represents more than 10% of the population. Treating it at 2% is an error.

You're also quick to dismiss the NRA material, without having even viewed it. Seems a bit closed minded.

But yes, my opinion is that your (not really spelled out) proposal will have no measurable incremental impact on accidental shootings, but will burden millions.

Wikipedia was the source (take that as you will), scrolling through all the states requirements I only counted 6 states with mandatory training as a condition of purchase. The 88% just came from dividing 6 into 50, but in hindsight you're correct that isn't an accurate indicator of population per se.

RE: The NRA material, fair enough, I'd be open to reading what was proposed. I found their website to be over the top propagada, but that doesn't mean that's all they do... :P

when was the last time you saw a gov't repeal something because it didn't work. It took us about 20 years of fighting to get the canadian gov't to repeal the long gun registry, and we're still fighting provincial firearms officers who don't believe repealing that law effects their agendas...
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

I own practically every kitchen gadget out there, but never felt the need for a pressure cooker before. Seeing that ad, it almost makes me want to get one. :$:D

Better stock up before the "ban". :D

I've hear that if you want to make proper stock, that is the best tool. B|
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

I own practically every kitchen gadget out there, but never felt the need for a pressure cooker before. Seeing that ad, it almost makes me want to get one. :$:D

Speaking of stocks. I'm wondering if I should call my broker and buy Waring or GE stock? :ph34r:

Speaking of stocks. I'm wondering if I should call my broker and buy Waring or GE stock? :ph34r:

You jest, but it wouldn't surprise me if there is a temporary upsurge in the sale of these. Which will get used a few times and put in the basement because they take up too much counter space just like rice steamers and bread machines.

:D
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

You jest, but it wouldn't surprise me if there is a temporary upsurge in the sale of these. Which will get used a few times and put in the basement because they take up too much counter space just like rice steamers and bread machines.

Yep, right next to the rowing machine and the stair-stepper.

Maybe, in your house, but our rowing machine actually gets used. And when it's not, we stand it up and it looks like a piece of art. :)
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Maybe, in your house, but our rowing machine actually gets used. And when it's not, we stand it up and it looks like a piece of art. :)

Would you like to buy one?.....Cheap? :D:D

How about a stationary bicycle? Only used as a coat rack.