BillyVance

Explosions at the Boston Marathon finish line area today

Press conference with mayor, governor, and PD head right now.

Only facts they'll give: two bombs. Fatalities. The JFK is has not been conclusively linked. JFK was incendiary or a fire, unlike finish line devices. They refuse to admit or deny suspect in custody. No mention of additional unexploded devices (again no admit or deny)

It sounds like someone is being "guarded" at Mass Hospital. Possible person of interest/suspect.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

A guy standing next to the blast said it originated from a trash can. Many leg injuries including one guy who got both legs blow off. Other injuries. I'm surprised there would be trash cans there as they can be used to harbor backpacks with explosives.

Yes, why would you possibly need those at a major event with thousands of participants and spectators? Large crowds never generate any waste. :|
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

A guy standing next to the blast said it originated from a trash can. Many leg injuries including one guy who got both legs blow off. Other injuries. I'm surprised there would be trash cans there as they can be used to harbor backpacks with explosives.

Yes, why would you possibly need those at a major event with thousands of participants and spectators? Large crowds never generate any waste. :|

In London we had all our buns removed in public spaces and transport hubs as people kept putting bombs in them.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

In London we had all our buns removed in public spaces and transport hubs as people kept putting bombs in them.

Please tell me you meant "bins". The other image is just too horrible.

Please tell me you meant "bins". The other image is just too horrible.

Have you got any idea of how much damage you can do with a well placed cream bun? :o

I think the devices were plenty powerful enough considering the security that has been in place for the race, however I agree that I don't think this is going to be a simple matter of picking up a Saudi who was in the blast radius.

Any brown person will do.

wow, so far this is the only type of suspect assumptions in the thread.

that being posters assuming what other people will assume the suspect will be - pre-emptively calling out racism before any even show up. it's quite a statement

crazy mind reading

however, CBS is currently regularly making references to 'right wing' groups "not that we are making any connections at this time" ((wink wink))

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I was in Tokyo a couple weeks ago and was amazed at how clean the streets were...nearly zero litter, yet I never found a single public garbage can, and I was actively looking for one. Quite the trick, I tell ya.

The couple cities I visited in Taiwan also had substantially less litter than the US. Public trashcans were available, but quite separate from each other (in Keelung, at least, the trash collectors run every day, playing music suspiciously like an ice cream truck. They'll only pick up trash in specific bags that they sell...color-coded to reflect size/price).

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I wonder how next Sunday will be at the London Marathon.

or tomorrow at Thatcher's funeral...
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Interesting that the secondary detonated so quickly after the first.

No it's not...it's in the terrorist handbook.

One goes off and as emergency personnel head in to rescue the other(s) go.

'Or' the 1st one also can tend to funnel panicked people toward the secondary ones.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I'm surprised there would be trash cans there as they can be used to harbor backpacks with explosives.

So can backpacks.

Around DC... No backpacks or coolers and purses are searched. We're heading to that for all major assemblies of people. More rights gone due to assholes.

8 year old boy confirmed as 1 of the 2 dead.

As a parent this just breaks my heart.

Ditto... As a parent, it also pisses me off. >:(
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Interesting that the secondary detonated so quickly after the first.

No it's not...it's in the terrorist handbook.

One goes off and as emergency personnel head in to rescue the other(s) go.

'Or' the 1st one also can tend to funnel panicked people toward the secondary ones.

The 2nd bomb was a block away. Though the 3rd one that didn't explode was right by the finish line IIRC
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I'm surprised there would be trash cans there as they can be used to harbor backpacks with explosives.

So can backpacks.

Around DC... No backpacks or coolers and purses are searched. We're heading to that for all major assemblies of people. More rights gone due to assholes.

Which assholes are you talking about?
- The assholes who plant bombs or,
- the scared-shitless 'Mericans and their asshole politicians that are gonna make laws and ignore the constitution?

One bomb is much more effective than any number of votes at changing a countries political aims.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

The general news coverage is piss poor, lots of footage due to the nature and location of the event and devices position on the course. However the drive for 24/7 news channels has led to air time being filled with total drivel. Speculation, news anchors talking shite and giving their uninformed opinion on matters of security and even wound management! Just because facts are currently thin on the ground doesn't give media outlets the right to make them up.

You're out-of-country aren't you?
What you describe is SOP for 'Merican media.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

So can backpacks.

That's the idea, right? Blow some shit up and we stumble all over ourselves to do something...spend billions of dollars and strip rights. I'm tired of the assholes "winning".

Fingers crossed it's the saudi kid and not "home grown".

This shit is infuriating on many levels. IED's are common in camel fucking shit stain mid eastern countries but not the US. The fact that a child was killed disgusts me. The fact that explosives were used makes me mad (explosives can be used far more constructively like I use them in my job).

Maybe we should regulate the shit out of explosives. If we did then these nutters wouldn't blow people up... Wait...
Muff #5048