StreetScooby

Budget Cuts Could Pull Navy Out of The War on Drugs

Yup. The war on drugs has been over for a very long time. Drugs won.

No one won.

On one side there is the government who has been waging the "war" (as declared by Nixon) since 1971, and has yet to win.

On the other side are the citizens who have been on the receiving ends of the governments attacks on civil liberties wrapped in the cloak of the "War on Drugs".

Then there is the collateral damage to the citizens and governments of Central & South America as a result of making millionaires out of criminals.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Yup. Real, as in real expensive.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/06/opinion/branson-end-war-on-drugs

"Here we are, four decades after Richard Nixon declared the war on drugs in 1971 and $1 trillion spent since then. What do we have to show for it?

The U.S. has the largest prison population in the world, with about 2.3 million behind bars. More than half a million of those people are incarcerated for a drug law violation. What a waste of young lives."

The U.S. has the largest prison population in the world, with about 2.3 million behind bars. More than half a million of those people are incarcerated for a drug law violation. What a waste of young lives."

How many young lives would be wasted if drugs were NOT restricted?
- Fud

What makes you think drugs are "restricted"? Just about anyone can get just about any drug they want. An unfortunate few get busted, and the taxpayers pick up the tab for lengthy incarceration. And people continue to do drugs. The war on drugs has been a complete and insanely expensive failure. It is amazing to me that the taxpayers don't get this.

From the article I cited:

"Have U.S. drug laws reduced drug use? No. The U.S. is the No. 1 nation in the world in illegal drug use. As with Prohibition, banning alcohol didn't stop people drinking -- it just stopped people obeying the law.

About 40,000 people were in U.S. jails and prisons for drug crimes in 1980, compared with more than 500,000 today. Excessively long prison sentences and locking up people for small drug offenses contribute greatly to this ballooning of the prison population."

Just came across this.
Sounds like the CNO(?) isn't messing around here...
LOL...

http://news.usni.org/2013/03/04/budget-cuts-could-pull-navy-out-of-the-war-on-drugs

It's about time, we lost this one.

Yup. The war on drugs has been over for a very long time. Drugs won.

If we can't even manage to keep drugs out of our prisons, good luck on keeping them out of a "free" society.

- Fud

Fewer.

Hard drug use went down after Portugal decriminalized all drugs. Overdoses are less likely when product strength is known. When legal ways to get high are available there isn't much point to sniffing paint or trying whatever the chemists concocted this week to work around legal restrictions.

- Fud

Fewer.

I don't know, if you make all drugs legal, a whole bunch of people who restrain themselves from taking them for fear of the legal consequences, are then going to feel free to go ahead and experiment. When you remove all negative consequences, more people are going to do it.
-Fud

I don't know, if you make all drugs legal, a whole bunch of people who restrain themselves from taking them for fear of the legal consequences, are then going to feel free to go ahead and experiment. When you remove all negative consequences, more people are going to do it.

-Fud

I think the overwhelming majority of people that smoke crack will ever stop and ponder the legal ramifications of what their doing. Would you shoot heroin if it were legalized?

The argument your making is always based on the presumption that the vast majority of others, if given the opportunity, will make a poorer choice than yourself.

- Fud

Do you think Prohibition was a great success then?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

- Fud

Do you think the thousands of lives that have been lost due to drunk drivers is OK?

I guess it's not OK for a person to get a gun and go on a rampage, but OK to get behind the wheel of a car and wipe out innocent lives in Kallendville.

Yep, a bunch of "optional" drug-related activities are going to get cut. Border patrol enforcement, drug smuggling interdiction, foreign drug task forces . . . it will be interesting to see how it shakes out, whether we think the savings are worth it.

- Fud

Do you think the thousands of lives that have been lost due to drunk drivers is OK?

I guess it's not OK for a person to get a gun and go on a rampage, but OK to get behind the wheel of a car and wipe out innocent lives in Kallendville.

If you have to resort to non sequiturs it means you lost already.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

- Fud

If you have to resort to non sequiturs it means you lost already.

If you have to resort to your normal weaseling without being able to come up with a response, then it's clear you have lost.

it will be interesting to see how it shakes out, whether we think the savings are worth it.

Agreed. I'm assuming the CNO (Chief of Naval Operations, which is a really powerful position in the Navy) is involved in these decisions. Just like the decision to leave carriers docked. Very potent statements on their part. If I had to guess, I think he's mad ;)
We are all engines of karma

>The way I see it, we have laws. Like them or not, break them and you pay the penalty.

Agreed. But what's happening is that the Navy (and several other organizations like the DHS) are saying "yes it's illegal but we just can't afford to go after people." That will lead eventually to a de facto legality.