wmw999

It doesn't help your cause to write like an illiterate twit

Yeppir :D. It's not just SC. I'm helping to put together an SAT study class, and what we're told to expect in terms of language from supposedly college-bound high school juniors is kind of scary.

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Wendy – I so agree with you. Ever read reviews online? Product reviews, etc? My wife noticed something: how many bad reviews are written by people with awful spelling and grammar. We have pretty much decided to judge the quality of a product based upon the reviews. And we judge the veracity of the reviews based upon the apparent idiocy of the reviewer.

I think it’s generally a given: if a person writes, “this struller ways to much to push in a hilly nayborhood and the cup holder don’t hold a Big Gulp. It also took my b/f 3 times to assembel it right cuz the directions were printed in 5 different langedges – their should be only English directions…” then I can probably consider the product to be exactly what I’m looking for.

Took the BF to the only Michelin starred restaurant in Oakland for his most recent birthday. Serious foodie experience - multi-course chef's menu with wine pairings. I'm the first to admit that's not our normal type of place, but we liked it for a special occasion.

Reading through the Yelp reviews, though, it was remarkable to me how many people who fancied themselves very serious food critics spent quite a bit of time in their reviews talking about how the food hit (or didn't hit) their pallet or palette.

Sigh.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Wendy – I so agree with you. Ever read reviews online? Product reviews, etc? My wife noticed something: how many bad reviews are written by people with awful spelling and grammar. We have pretty much decided to judge the quality of a product based upon the reviews. And we judge the veracity of the reviews based upon the apparent idiocy of the reviewer.

I think it’s generally a given: if a person writes, “this struller ways to much to push in a hilly nayborhood and the cup holder don’t hold a Big Gulp. It also took my b/f 3 times to assembel it right cuz the directions were printed in 5 different langedges – their should be only English directions…” then I can probably consider the product to be exactly what I’m looking for.

I've recently built a UAV (drone is a bad word these days) and participate in a forum that helps others who are doing the same. It's truly incredible how many people think that the components they bought are defective, when upon investigation it turns out that either they didn't read the manual at all, or completely misinterpreted what they read. The literacy standard in the general population is quite abysmal.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Sorry, I guess I have to be so picky at work that I don't care when its my own private computer postings. Also, my hand cramp up a lot so after a while I just get tired of fixing something if I make a mistake.
:$

No matter how slowly you say oranges it never sounds like gullible.
Believe me I tried.

Younger generations seeing paragraphs, well written or not, don't get read.

This is exactly what this thread is about: What the holy hell does that mean?

:D

Simple: a block of type longer than 140 words doesn't get read. More than what the mind can tolerate. The twit generation. But this about grammar and spelling I suspect not amount of copy.

Simple: a block of type longer than 140 words doesn't get read. More than what the mind can tolerate. The twit generation. But this about grammar and spelling I suspect not amount of copy.

My original rant was most definitely about grammar and spelling.

And you forgot the verb that makes a sentence, a sentence. Just as the subject and object in your earlier sentence-like construct don't match what comes in the middle.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

>What value might the review have if that were the case?

It would be of greater value than an incomprehensible review by someone who used the product.

Not all poor grammar or bad spelling is incomprehensible. Hence, I'll go with the experienced comprehensible text even if there are misspellings.

Lets not forget the satirists use of an intentional misspelling, something that could be overlooked as being satirical by a reader. No what I'm talking about?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satiric_misspelling

The thing about satire though is it's only satire if it's recognized as such by others. Otherwise it's simply a failed attemp. Kind of like jokes in general; if nobody laughs, then by definition they aren't funny.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

>Hence, I'll go with the experienced comprehensible text even if there are misspellings.

Our brains can correct lots of misspellings. Indeed, it's not misspellings that are the biggest cause of confusion - it's poor sentence structure. For example:

"But this about grammar and spelling I suspect not amount of copy."

No misspellings there. However, it is completely incomprehensible without making significant assumptions. One reader might assume that meant "people who copy don't exhibit good grammar." Another might assume that meant "this is all about the grammar and spelling, not about the word count." Who's right? No one knows.

>Lets not forget the satirists use of an intentional misspelling

That's not what is happening here.

Reading through the Yelp reviews, though, it was remarkable to me how many people who fancied themselves very serious food critics spent quite a bit of time in their reviews talking about how the food hit (or didn't hit) their pallet or palette.

Sigh.

Have a look in the skydiving forums and see how many people talk about the break lines.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

>I can comprehend. Reason: I've been following along and know the context. So
>whose brain can't comprehend.

Well, see, that's the point. If only the author understands it - it's piss poor writing.

Everybody assumes you know what you wrote. The ability to write is the ability to let _others_ know what you are talking about. And as Wendy mentioned, if a poster can't do that, it doesn't really help their cause.

>I can comprehend. Reason: I've been following along and know the context. So
>whose brain can't comprehend.

Well, see, that's the point. If only the author understands it - it's piss poor writing.

Everybody assumes you know what you wrote. The ability to write is the ability to let _others_ know what you are talking about. And as Wendy mentioned, if a poster can't do that, it doesn't really help their cause.

I'm laughing. I said I can comprehend the sentence you composed, you as author, and me as reader. Look back up there. That's the sentence you composed with poor grammar.

So the reader has no responsibility to attempt to understand the message? And what writer carelessly composes a sentence so that the reader can't understand?

Or better: What writer purposely composes a sentence to confuse the reader?

OH MY GOD..... Billvon:)

>So the reader has no responsibility to attempt to understand the message?

No, the reader's responsibility is to read what is written, not to try to "fill-in-the-verb" to puzzle out what the author intended. The author's responsibility is to write coherently.

>And what writer carelessly composes a sentence so that the reader can't understand?

After reading this forum - apparently a lot.

Pull on you're break toggles to flair the canopy.

Loose the attitude bro, or people will think you have a screw lose.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

I'm laughing. I said I can comprehend the sentence you composed, you as author, and me as reader. Look back up there. That's the sentence you composed with poor grammar.

Actually it's a quote from one of your posts (#34).

I can infer what you mean, maybe. There's no guarantee, because it can mean:

But this about grammar and spelling I suspect not amount of copy

It could mean that it's about grammar and spelling and not the amount of writing. OR it could be about the amount of copying that's done (i.e. unattributed copy). I think that an is was left out of the first part of that sentence.

Ya know -- I've spent way more time trying to figure out what the fuck this sentence is trying to say than you invested in composing it. That doesn't make you godlike in your ability to hold your audience's interest, however.

Wendy P.

>So the reader has no responsibility to attempt to understand the message?

No, the reader's responsibility is to read what is written, not to try to "fill-in-the-verb" to puzzle out what the author intended. The author's responsibility is to write coherently.

>And what writer carelessly composes a sentence so that the reader can't understand?

After reading this forum - apparently a lot.

An unintentional spelling error is not intended miscomunications.

I agree, often the reader can't comprehend no matter any prose. The reader and writer bare equal responsibility for communications especially on a web forum.

I don't believe that to be the case here in SC.
We have a very rare collection of superior intellect and perfect people here.
Surely they have put you in your proper place a time or two, no?

Age, eyesight, lighting, alcohol, humans. We ALL make mistakes. In everything we do.

Most of us anyway.