airdvr

Teed off: Golf star Phil Mickelson may bolt California over taxes

WTG Cali!

California voters in November approved Proposition 30, which, in addition to raising the state sales tax, carries a menu of new tax brackets that hit millionaires like Mickelson hard. For income exceeding $1 million, the state rate jumped to 13.3 percent from 10.3 percent. For Mickelson, who earned roughly $60 million in 2012, that would be a tax increase of more than $1.8 million.

"If you add up all the federal and you look at the disability and the unemployment and the Social Security and the state, my tax rate's 62, 63 percent," Mickelson said. "So I've got to make some decisions on what I'm going to do."

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2013/01/21/golfer-phil-mickelson-plans-drastic-changes-over-new-tax-rate/#ixzz2IfvfVZzS
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

The man is an idiot.

He's bitching about an additional 3% state tax when he already could have moved to Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Washington or Wyoming and lowered it by 10.3%.

I'm guessing here, but I think he's just another one of a long line of celebritard blowhards who say shit like this when something doesn't go their way and then . . . do nothing.

Wasn't Rush Limbaugh supposed to live in exile in Costa Rica if Obama won?
http://dailycurrant.com/2012/11/07/limbaugh-moving-costa-rica/

"America I did not come to this decision lightly. It"s something I've thought long and hard about. Two weeks ago I made a silent promise to myself that if Obama won, I'd leave the country. And I plan on making good on that promise."

Okay . . . sure.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

>Do you think there may be a point in the future where big tech companies like Apple
>consider vacating SV and relocating elsewhere?

Near future? Probably not; it's still a very fertile environment for high tech startups - and California in general is very supportive of that environment.

Long term? Probably. Such environments move around with time, and much of what makes a business/technology center is the population - and over time that will migrate away.

>Do you think there may be a point in the future where big tech companies like Apple
>consider vacating SV and relocating elsewhere?

Near future? Probably not; it's still a very fertile environment for high tech startups - and California in general is very supportive of that environment.

Long term? Probably. Such environments move around with time, and much of what makes a business/technology center is the population - and over time that will migrate away.

The tax breaks that evil corporations like apple get to woo them to stay in place off set some.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

The man is an idiot.

He's bitching about an additional 3% state tax when he already could have moved to Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Washington or Wyoming and lowered it by 10.3%.

I'm guessing here, but I think he's just another one of a long line of celebritard blowhards who say shit like this when something doesn't go their way and then . . . do nothing.

Wasn't Rush Limbaugh supposed to live in exile in Costa Rica if Obama won?
http://dailycurrant.com/2012/11/07/limbaugh-moving-costa-rica/

"America I did not come to this decision lightly. It"s something I've thought long and hard about. Two weeks ago I made a silent promise to myself that if Obama won, I'd leave the country. And I plan on making good on that promise."

Okay . . . sure.

He did move his operation from NYC to FL, costing NYC and NY millions of dollars in tax revenues.

He did move his operation from NYC to FL, costing NYC and NY millions of dollars in tax revenues.

I know it's semantics, but it didn't "cost" NY or NYC anything. It wasn't their money to begin with. If they lost an opportunity due to crappy policy, yeah, I agree with that. (I just want to make the point)

counting chickens and all that is one of the problems the feds have when looking at tax policy etc - we're better off not falling into that trap in casual conversation. It's predicated on the assumption that gov owns everything and we're lucky to keep what they allow. I'm not a fan of that attitude - no matter how prevalent it might be nowadays. It leads to statements about tax cuts equaling 'spending' - it leads to the idea that an increase in spending below projections can be called a spending 'cut', etc etc etc. it's idiotic...

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I know it's semantics, but it didn't "cost" NY or NYC anything. It wasn't their money to begin with. If they lost an opportunity due to crappy policy, yeah, I agree with that. (I just want to make the point)

counting chickens and all that is one of the problems the feds have when looking at tax policy etc - we're better off not falling into that trap in casual conversation. It's predicated on the assumption that gov owns everything and we're lucky to keep what they allow. I'm not a fan of that attitude - no matter how prevalent it might be nowadays. It leads to statements about tax cuts equaling 'spending' - it leads to the idea that an increase in spending below projections can be called a spending 'cut', etc etc etc. it's idiotic...

I believe that, according to the government, any monies or capital not hoovered up and put into a fund of some kind is called a "Tax Expenditure".

So in their minds, it did "Cost" them.

Definition:
Revenue a government foregoes through the provisions of tax laws that allow (1) deductions, exclusions, or exemptions from the taxpayers' taxable expenditure, income, or investment, (2) deferral of tax liability, or (3) preferential tax rates.

I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

When your cumulative tax bill totals more than 50% I would wonder who I am working for.

I quit picking up extra money with small consulting projects in the mid 1990s when I realized I wasn't allowed to keep even half that money

31% federal
6.2% FICA
6.2% employer's share of FICA
5% state
1.45% Medicare
1.45% employer's share of Medicare

51.3% total

When your cumulative tax bill totals more than 50% I would wonder who I am working for.

I would wonder about pronoun agreement. ;)

grammar nazi :P

We prefer the term, "grammar smart ass." Notice the ";)."
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

New title - Somebody no ones even heard of in Cali bitches a bit about the high taxes and cost of living and the huge daily commute he has to make just to break even

not a lot of press there either, but he likely resonates with Phil a little bit - even if it's just for discussion

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Why do you think Tiger Woods moved from his native California to Florida? If I'm going to save millions a year in taxes, I'm sure going to think about it. Phil has his own jet, so travel shouldn't be an issue.

He's since backed off those comments a little, but I hope he does it. The idiots who run the state of California need to take note. There's only so much people will accept.
There are battered women? I've been eating 'em plain all of these years...

As an employee of one of his sponsors I wish he would just keep silent.

Ha. Apparently, he got the message from your boss: he's apologized.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1496131-phil-mickelson-offers-apology-for-tax-comments-sunday-at-humana-challenge?hpt=hp_t3

Yep...its 2013. So many things you're not allowed to talk about anymore.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

what an asshole - some reporter asked a question and he answered it honestly

how dare he?

doesn't he realize that you are not allowed to talk if you make a lot of money?

As an employee of one of his sponsors I wish he would just keep silent.

Ha. Apparently, he got the message from your boss: he's apologized.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1496131-phil-mickelson-offers-apology-for-tax-comments-sunday-at-humana-challenge?hpt=hp_t3

Yep...its 2013. So many things you're not allowed to talk about anymore.

It's pretty much always been a no-no to bite the hand that feeds you.