CarpeDiem3

Australia: Life Sentences for Gun Trafficing

News: Government pushes ahead with firearms laws

Quote: "THE federal government is pressing ahead with plans to create new aggravated offences for trafficking firearms or gun parts across state and national borders. "These new offences will carry a maximum penalty of life imprisonment," Mr Clare said in a statement. Life sentences are a part of a major reform package announced in June to tackle the illegal weapons market. Federal and state ministers have also agreed to develop a national firearms register and a ballistics identification network..."

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/breaking-news/government-pushes-ahead-with-firearms-laws/story-e6frg13c-1226522914093

Yeah, this is a good move! Lock 'em up forever, and watch illegal guns, and the murders committed with same, plummet. I'm glad to see that someone is serious about the scourge of guns. We need to do this in America too.

News: Government pushes ahead with firearms laws

Quote: "THE federal government is pressing ahead with plans to create new aggravated offences for trafficking firearms or gun parts across state and national borders. "These new offences will carry a maximum penalty of life imprisonment," Mr Clare said in a statement. Life sentences are a part of a major reform package announced in June to tackle the illegal weapons market. Federal and state ministers have also agreed to develop a national firearms register and a ballistics identification network..."

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/breaking-news/government-pushes-ahead-with-firearms-laws/story-e6frg13c-1226522914093

Yeah, this is a good move! Lock 'em up forever, and watch illegal guns, and the murders committed with same, plummet. I'm glad to see that someone is serious about the scourge of guns. We need to do this in America too.

We dont really have a "Scourge":D:D:D:D:D
Guns are not hat big of a deal here.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Wow, you actually posted something regarding the TRUE issue with guns... those being illegally obtained and used by criminals. Now please just change your stance on those weapons legally owned by law-abiding citizens and let's go have a beer.
In every man's life he will be allotted one good woman and one good dog. That's all you get, so appreciate them while the time you have with them lasts.

- RiggerLee

We dont really have a "Scourge":D:D:D:D:D
Guns are not hat big of a deal here.

You must be incorrect, otherwise the government wouldn't be looking at creating life sentences for gun crimes. That's a serious response to a serious problem.

But I'm glad to hear that the criminals aren't hiding their guns in their hats.

we already have reasonable penalties on the books for firearms offences, what happens when it goes to court though is a different matter.

http://www.thecourier.com.au/story/1139926/man-jailed-for-six-months-afer-stockpiling-black-market-weapons/?src=rss

In Vic the maximum penalty depending on category firearm is 2-7 years jail and $12000-$60000 fine

JR? Is that you buddy?

Was that directed at me? If so, I don't know who "JR" is. I've also been accused of being someone named "DD". And then there was a third one that I can't remember. Gosh, I don't know why all these people think I'm someone else. I'm just a new guy here.

JR? Is that you buddy?

Was that directed at me? If so, I don't know who "JR" is. I've also been accused of being someone named "DD". And then there was a third one that I can't remember. Gosh, I don't know why all these people think I'm someone else. I'm just a new guy here.

LH who was MN was also JR

Yeah, this is a good move! Lock 'em up forever, and watch illegal guns, and the murders committed with same, plummet.

Only in your fantasies.

After Jamaica banned handguns in 1974, used warrant-less searches, introduced special gun courts, held secret trials, and handed out mandatory life sentences their murder rate sextupled and still runs 60 per 100,000 people.

JR? Is that you buddy?

This is developing into a real obsession.
Truth be told - I'm D.B. Cooper! :P

JR? Is that you buddy?

This is developing into a real obsession.
Truth be told - I'm D.B. Cooper! :P

And they say The S.C. has no sense of humor! :D

I beg to differ!
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

As I noted that does not work and even if it did we could not afford the high prison costs (California hemorrhages $45,000 a year for each of our convicts) given stagnant wages and tax collections.

Maybe we could try summary execution? When police find people with a probable illegal firearm they could confiscate the gun and use it to shoot the perpetrator in the head on the spot thus eliminating the problem without even requiring the tax payers to cover the bullet used.

In theory Americans and others living under legal systems derived from British law (starting with the Magna Carta issued in 1215) cannot be punished without due process although fortunately we've evolved more permissive legal interpretations for the trying times we live in. Last century we decided that it was more convenient to allow asset forfeiture for certain egregious (racketeering then drug) crimes without a jury trial and counsel provided for defendants who could not afford to hire their own attorney. Last decade we decided that we could imprison people without a trial as long as we first accused them of terrorism. Perhaps in the 2010s we can take this one step further and award special status to gun criminals so we can execute them on the spot without the trouble and expense of a trial.

JR? Is that you buddy?

Might be something to do with your troll'esq postings and lack of any profile information whatsoever.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Might be something to do with your troll'esq postings and lack of any profile information whatsoever.

That's funny, coming from another guy who also has an anonymous profile.

Not at all, my name and some skydiving details are on my profile. There are several people on this site who I know in person and have jumped with. I've also been around on here for a decade and plenty of people know my background. You on the other hand have pitched up in the last five minutes have nothing about your skydiving background on your profile and no name any wonder so many people have you down as a troll?
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

That's funny, coming from another guy who also has an anonymous profile.

Not at all, my name and some skydiving details are on my profile. There are several people on this site who I know in person and have jumped with. I've also been around on here for a decade and plenty of people know my background. You on the other hand have pitched up in the last five minutes have nothing about your skydiving background on your profile and no name any wonder so many people have you down as a troll?

You provide a first name only, no home DZ, and no city. You say you've been here 10 years but your profile says you've only been jumping 2 years. Hmmm. And your photo is a monkey. And this is what you claim gives you credibility? Oookayyy...

Anyone can put anything in their profile. It isn't verifiable. It means nothing. Credibility doesn't come from fancy claims in a profile. And yours provides nothing indicating any expertise with gun crime, the subject of this topic. And with onliy 118 jumps, you don't even have a lot of credibility to talk about skydiving.

So, what counts is facts and logic, not a profile. Judge by what is said, not by what is in a profile.

So if I were to judge you on what you post. I would say hows it going troll.

Suit yourself. But I would suggest that you should look at the totality of my messages, and not just the ones in this particular contentious forum. And just because someone disagrees with your position on things, doesn't make them a troll. This place would be pretty boring if we all thought the same and just parroted each other's thoughts.

Look under the monkey:

As for the profile I haven't updated it for years and move country a lot let alone DZ. But there are still real people here who I've jumped with, can you say the same?
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I see you guys are still feeding the little troll. Have you ever heard of the 'asshole vacumn theory'? It was something that a bunch of us bartenders in a small college town came up with many moons ago. Whenever one of our customers that happened to be an asshole quit coming in, another asshole would start coming in and take his place. It was like magic. The asshole that left would always be replaced with an asshole of equal, or greater asshole value. I guess it kept the balance in the bar cosmos. I think the same thing is happening here. We lose Shah, and he is magically replaced by the Carp. At least with Shah he could be good for a laugh once in a while. Not happening here. You have now all witnessed the asshole vacumn theory at work. One of the great mysteries of the universe.

Look under the monkey:

As for the profile I haven't updated it for years...

So, while claiming that profile info makes you credible, at the same time you admit that it doesn't necessarily represent the truth. Not even in your own personal instance. Thank you for reinforcing my point.

So if I put:

United Kingdom
Jumps: 118
License: B
In sport: 2 years

Just like you, which doesn't represent reality, would that make me more credible in your eyes?