CarpeDiem3

Gun and Ammo Tax

News story: http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/15644719-418/cook-county-mulling-violence-tax-on-guns-and-ammunition.html

Good idea! Let those who want to cling to their guns pay the costs associated with gun-clinging. The rest of civilized society that chooses to live without guns and violence, shouldn't have to pay for what the gunnies do.

News story: http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/15644719-418/cook-county-mulling-violence-tax-on-guns-and-ammunition.html

Good idea! Let those who want to cling to their guns pay the costs associated with gun-clinging. The rest of civilized society that chooses to live without guns and violence, shouldn't have to pay for what the gunnies do.

only if Alcohol and car owners pay the same tax.

Both of those kill more than firearms every year.

And since its America and everybody is overweight you can include McDonald's, Burger King and every other fast food joint in there also. They kills thousands yearly.

ETA: I guess you don't consider Switzerland a civilized society? Their government issues assault rifles to its citizens.

Dumb idea. People will simply drive out of the restricted area to make their purchases.

I'm curious about something. What do you use to "Seize the Day," a Starbucks Gift Card?
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

I'm curious about something. What do you use to "Seize the Day," a Starbucks Gift Card?

By wasting not a single moment. It means giving my all, being the best I can possibly be. It means dropping what still holds me back, dissolving the resistance to what I am and to what I can be. It means to free myself from what I am not and to set free that which I am.

How about you? A bible?

Probably several user names. I've seen the same asinine crap from dreamdancer/skydivejonathan. He's certainly not "seizing the day" with his grasp on the English language.

Sorry, I don't know who those people are. If I sound like someone else it's probably just because many people share common beliefs.

What's wrong with my use of the English language?

Probably several user names. I've seen the same asinine crap from dreamdancer/skydivejonathan. He's certainly not "seizing the day" with his grasp on the English language.

Sorry, I don't know who those people are. If I sound like someone else it's probably just because many people share common beliefs.

What's wrong with my use of the English language?

I doubt that you don't know who that individual is. Whatever, I think that you're a troll.
The best things in life are dangerous.

Both of those kill more than firearms every year.

And since its America and everybody is overweight you can include McDonald's, Burger King and every other fast food joint in there also. They kills thousands yearly.

And lets not leave out the swimming pool tax. You know how many people drown in them things every year. ;)

By wasting not a single moment. It means giving my all, being the best I can possibly be. It means dropping what still holds me back, dissolving the resistance to what I am and to what I can be. It means to free myself from what I am not and to set free that which I am.

How about you? A bible?

I like your response.

Yes, I feed the cats, make espresso coffee, turn on my laptop, unfurl the American flag on my porch and reach for my Bible.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

There is already a very large excise tax on alcohol and on gasoline. I'm surprised that you want a similar tax on ammo, but OK.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Yet another person (or sockpuppet) who can't think this one through, or just doesn't care about the truth and will do anything to achieve the goal of banning gun ownership.

a 9mm bullet costs perhaps 12-15 cents purchased by the case (1000), and 20-30 cents purchased by the box (50). If one were going to the range to practice - with the goals of maintaining safe handling practices and accurate shooting, he might fire 100 rounds.

Tax proposals have ranged from 10 to 50 cents a round. Let's go with the smallest. The effect of it is to nearly double the cost of practice...in the name of what, exactly? Reducing gun violence and injuries by discouraging safe gun experience? Brilliant!

Now consider instead the mugger who uses a gun to rob people, be it on the street or the Kwicky Mart. He relies on the threat of force and close proximity, but generally does not actually need to fire. And if he does, is he concerned in the slightest if he misses and hits a bystander? Is he concerned about the $1 in taxes that his 10 round magazine cost him? He'll commit a number of robberies for that dollar.

And then you have the gangsters who might actually use the gun on a more frequent basis. We already know that they don't practice - they shoot the wrong people all the time when they spray bullets from their cars. Why would it improve now? And as these people are also dealing drugs, they have little trouble getting bullets from an outside source, or just paying the tax as cost of 'business' along with caddies and gold grille work.

So at best, the outcome is that the legal shooter buys from out of the county, and the local businesses suffer, and perhaps the county/city loses some money administering the tax enforcement.

At worse, you increase the number of accidental shootings and some people die because they're unable to successfully defend themselves in an actual incident. Some law abiding citizens will just be taxed more for the actions of others. These costs will be heaviest of the lower income groups, both for the regressive nature of the tax and because they're less able to dodge it.

And how about the churches? I mean they have their own amendment about laws just like us "gunners".

Churches should pay tax just like any other business. Absurd that they should be given a pass. And contributions to churches should be tax deductible as "charity" only to the extent that the money goes to a real charity, not to keeping the pastor living in luxury or putting up fancy buildings.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

How about you? A bible?

I like your response.

Yes, I feed the cats, make espresso coffee, turn on my laptop, unfurl the American flag on my porch and reach for my Bible.

I like yours too. We can each carpe diem in our own way, and be blessed in our freedom which allows us to do so.

------------------------------------------------------

The rest of civilized society that chooses to live without guns and violence

Interesting...my father is a 1st Lietenant Sherrif for the past 30 years. He has an arsenal of weapons and I own several myself. I am not a hunter and only choose to shoot at targets. So you wanna lump US into that category of GUNS AND VIOLENCE?

You sir are an idiot. Now go crawl back under the rock you came out of.

Interesting...my father is a 1st Lietenant Sherrif for the past 30 years. He has an arsenal of weapons and I own several myself. I am not a hunter and only choose to shoot at targets. So you wanna lump US into that category of GUNS AND VIOLENCE?

I'm okay with sheriff's and other agents of the government having guns. They've been vetted, well-trained, and can be trusted to use them responsibly.

I'm even okay with you having guns, as long as they're not assault weapons or other guns designed only for killing a lot of people real quick.

No need to resort to name-calling.

I'm okay with sheriff's and other agents of the government having guns. They've been vetted, well-trained, and can be trusted to use them responsibly.

I'm even okay with you having guns, as long as they're not assault weapons or other guns designed only for killing a lot of people real quick.

No need to resort to name-calling.

So exactly how do YOU define what is an assault weapon is
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

CCW holders have records that compare quite favorably to your typical metro police department.

BTW, didn't see you respond to my post on the idiocy of ammo taxes. Got any answers?

BTW, didn't see you respond to my post on the idiocy of ammo taxes. Got any answers?

Are gas taxes idiocy?
Cigarette taxes?
Liquor taxes?
Hunting licenses?
Fishing licenses?

Those are revenue streams that help pay for the costs associated with those activities. No different than an ammo tax.

Are gas taxes idiocy?
Cigarette taxes?
Liquor taxes?
Hunting licenses?
Fishing licenses?

Those are revenue streams that help pay for the costs associated with those activities. No different than an ammo tax.

Though none of these are constituitional protected activities, what I'm really interested in is why you want to decrease public safety while accomplishing nothing positive. Why do you want to make sure criminals have the upper hand?