ryoder

12yo girl: 1, Intruder: 0

The thing that got me was they life-flighted his ass to the hospital? I would have put him in an ambulance and taken the scenic route!
In every man's life he will be allotted one good woman and one good dog. That's all you get, so appreciate them while the time you have with them lasts.

- RiggerLee

Aren't there laws against leaving a loaded gun in the home accessible to a kid?

Not applicable in this case according to this site. How would you have liked to see this event play out?
Provoking a reaction isn't the same thing as saying something meaningful.
-Calvin

Dont you know it is better to have a 12 year old killed,raped,kidnapped, tortoured or whatever than have them defend themselves. They should just wait for a grownup to come help them.Good on th at litle girl for not listenig to our pusified subsection of society.
Handguns are only used to fight your way to a good rifle

Dont you know it is better to have a 12 year old killed,raped,kidnapped, tortoured or whatever than have them defend themselves. They should just wait for a grownup to come help them.Good on th at litle girl for not listenig to our pusified subsection of society.

It's just common sense that loaded weapons should be made available to children who are left unsupervised by their parents.

It's just common sense that loaded weapons should be made available to children who are left unsupervised by their parents.

Depends on the kid and depends on the parent. What would you have liked to see happen in this case?
-Calvin

Depends on the kid and depends on the parent. What would you have liked to see happen in this case?

You wont get an answer but, Isn't it obvious? They are happy she was able to defend herself but now they want her parents jailed for teaching her how to do it. That means she would spend her teen years in a foster home where she will likely be molested. Typical nutty left wing ideology.

A 12 year-old child got access to a gun? And someone got hurt?[:/]

The parents will be prosecuted, right?

Oklahoma, I doubt it.

On the other hand some bottom feeding shyster will probably sue to get some cash for the "victim".;)

James

Andy9o8!!?

Just kidding.:)
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Of course I'm glad the girl is alive, but your argument is based on emotion.

Its kind of like saying if an unrestrained child survives a high speed ejection in a MVA, since I favor mandatory seat belt laws,I would rather have seen the child die being buckled in.

Never mind that for probably every instance of a child shooting an intruder, 100 left alone with guns will accidently shoot their siblings, parents, and friends.

That means she would spend her teen years in a foster home where she will likely be molested. Typical nutty left wing ideology.

I think a FEMA re-education camp would be cheaper.

Yeah, but then we would need to create a brand new government agency to "oversee" the operation. Probably could start out with a budget of $100 million with increases as they stepped up enforcement. :D

Damn, my comments have been short enough thus far--the least you could do is read them before replying. What part of saying that parents are capable of teaching and kids are capable of learning proper handling of firearms is emotional?

Even before I was 12 I knew where my dad kept the 1911 and I knew how to use it. You know what happened? Nothing. So whose argument gets shot to shit just by that example? Not mine.
-Calvin

Damn, my comments have been short enough thus far--the least you could do is read them before replying. What part of saying that parents are capable of teaching and kids are capable of learning proper handling of firearms is emotional?

Even before I was 12 I knew where my dad kept the 1911 and I knew how to use it. You know what happened? Nothing. So whose argument gets shot to shit just by that example? Not mine.

I think the greater good is that no child should ever be left alone with a loaded gun.

Viva la difference.

I think the greater good is that no child should ever be left alone with a loaded gun.

Viva la difference.

Why not? My dad taught me to shoot when I was 8 years old. I had my first rifle when I was. 10. I've never shot anyone. Never had an accident either. If parents would take the time to teach their children about gun safety before buying a gun, there would be fewer problems.

Viva la difference.

Times are sure different, today. WhenI was a kid, my folks would leave me alone and there were guns in the house, primarily for hunting. My dad showed me all about them and I got to shoot each one under his supervision. I never gave them a second thought when they were home or away. The story in this thread can be 'what-iffed' all day long. what happened happened. To me, the girl did the right thing and saved her own life. Also, I get the idea she knew how to handle the pistol in her hands. You can bet your last dollar, someone will come along and file a lawsuit. What is lacking in this country is common sense. Just a little too much knee-jerk though.

Chuck

How do you know the gun was loaded? Do you have another news source that definitively states that it was loaded? The supplied news source here only states that the mother told her daughter to go get the family gun and go hide in the closet. There is a chance that the family have already trained their daughter safe operating procedures for firearms (which includes the knowledge of how to load it).

Seems to me this is a good news story. A man with a history of criminal activity against young girls breaks into a home and actively seeks out the child in the closet and your reaction is "No child should ever be left alone with a gun". Yikes ... how about people who commit prior crimes against children should not be allowed to walk free in society looking to prey upon their next victim.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Times are definitely different. I grew up in gunphobic Canada and I knew where the guns and the ammo (we didn't keep loaded weapons in the house until a bit later) were by the time I was twelve. I was also left alone at times when I was twelve (I believe that is still legal today).