lawrocket

Malala Yousafzai - The turning of the tide?

Anyone here following this story? For those of you who don't know, Malala Yousafzai is a 14 year old girl in Pakistan who has been blogging and speaking out against the Taliban's moves to deny education to women. The Taliban was eventually expelled from her area - in no small part due to her work with the BBC.

Two days ago, a Taliban gunman got onto her school bus and shot her twice. The Taliban said if she lives they'll go back after her.

There seems to be some rumblings that the people of Pakistan have just been slapped into reality. Assassination of a 14 year old girl is apparently something that they are not finding to be acceptable anymore.

This seems to be hitting even harder than when Bhutto was assassinated. I'm thinking there will be some bloodshed, and a lot of it will be going the other way.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

You are more optimistic than I am. It was only recently that they were trying to execute a young mentally retarded christian girl who was framed for desecrating a Koran.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

One can only hope this will shake things up, but people there have been bending over and accepting whatever these misogynistic thugs give them for a looooong time. I don't see the murder of yet another female, regardless of her importance, having much of an effect.
Provoking a reaction isn't the same thing as saying something meaningful.
-Calvin

I don't know whether this will turn the tide against the Taliban or not. I do know that it is only going to change when the people of that community want it changed. The U.S. is largely powerless to stop it, as our actions in Iraq and Afghanistan have shown. We can suppress it (which may be worthwhile) but not extinguish it.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

better chance of meeting jesus...these people are fucktarted!

oddly iran is more liberal than these fucktards!
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

>Assassination of a 14 year old girl is apparently something that they are not finding
>to be acceptable anymore.

It will take more than that - but sadly the Taliban will have no qualms giving them more incidents like this. But yes, the tide is turning, and this time it's coming from inside. Which is where it _should_ be coming from.

Anyone actually watching would have noticed that the tide has already turned but too many people still have their heads in the sand while shouting about Muslims not speaking out to notice that they have been for quite a while. (Not intended at you Lawrocket)
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

It's a terrible thing when education is denied only because of one's gender.

It's interesting that the act of withholding education is really not the issue, but the violence to stop it is.

The irony of someone running for public office in the US, proposing the same judicial capital punishment for mis-behaving children here, gets no media play.

It's interesting that the act of withholding education is really not the issue, but the violence to stop it is.

Indeed. Why people value human life more than education is a real baffler. :S

The irony of someone running for public office in the US, proposing the same judicial capital punishment for mis-behaving children here, gets no media play.

It's getting media play. It would, of course, get more if he or someone else followed through with it. There is another term for what he proposed - honor killing. And we hear about those every now and then

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Been listening off and on. Today a bunch of Christian schoolgirls held a vigil for her, because even though she's not Christian, she's a girl in Pakistan.

I don't know where they live in Pakistan, but depending, that, too, might have been mighty bold.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

One can only hope this will shake things up, but people there have been bending over and accepting whatever these misogynistic thugs give them for a looooong time. I don't see the murder of yet another female, regardless of her importance, having much of an effect.

It may not be fair to characterize them as bending over. The other side is crazy mad and has absolutely no morals about committing horrendous acts of violence. The meek don't fare well against the ruthless in a basically lawless world.

It may not be fair to characterize them as bending over. The other side is crazy mad and has absolutely no morals about committing horrendous acts of violence. The meek don't fare well against the ruthless in a basically lawless world.

Nobody fares well against the ruthless in a basically lawless world.

Straight out of the "Usual Suspects". The Taliban is willing to kill their own wives and children if it suits their aims. And then they will go kill the people they are mad at. And their families. And their friends. And people who owe them money.

And the government and the police aren't able or willing to stop them.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Anyone actually watching would have noticed that the tide has already turned but too many people still have their heads in the sand while shouting about Muslims not speaking out to notice that they have been for quite a while. (Not intended at you Lawrocket)

A very valid point.

I wonder how much Western media plays a part in encouraging heads coming out the sands?

There's certainly a vast quantity of gutter press publishing stories that'll pop certain peoples heads back in...and deeper.

'for it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "chuck 'im out, the brute!" But it's "saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot.'

Unfortunately, our involvement is probably making things worse.

Sometimes it occurs to me that some of these nations would have matured past the current point if we would not have played a role in their history.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Sometimes it occurs to me that some of these nations would have matured past the current point if we would not have played a role in their history.

You mean like giving aid to a poor needy country which their crooked leaders stole to build mansions and have the great things in life so their people can see them propped up over them so they blame the US for the abuse their own leaders perpetrate upon them when likely they would have had to pull themselves up on their own if allowed to long ago?

stuff like that?

amazing what good intentions....er......:S

I mean, it's amazing what "making political gestures to retain and grow power over our own ignorant voting base" does in both unnecessary spending and long term harm to foreign countries' populations.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants