kallend

ACA upheld

>If you fail to pay your estimated taxes on time and are assessed a PENALTY >by the IRS, is that a tax? Yep. A while back I was driving too fast and ended up with a speed tax.

Hope you paid it. Wouldn't want the IRS after you for a speeding ticket.

I wonder if you'll be required to submit proof you have health insurance. In Ohio liability insurance is required to get a driver's license. You check a box that says in effect "I have liability insurance". No requirement to prove you have coverage. It's a joke.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

If you fail to pay your estimated taxes on time and are assessed a PENALTY by the IRS, is that a tax?

What does that penalty go toward?

Beer and popcorn, I expect.

You think GSA will get the money? :D

Beats me, I just wrote the check.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

>Hope you paid it. Wouldn't want the IRS after you for a speeding ticket.

I doubt they would! Heck, the IRS doesn't even bug me about my property taxes, state income taxes or sales tax. (Or that speed tax.)

Unless all those things aren't taxes to the GOP?

Heck, they would probably leave you alone if you lived in Massachusetts and didn't pay for your Romneycare.

If you fail to pay your estimated taxes on time and are assessed a PENALTY by the IRS, is that a tax?

What does that penalty go toward?

Beer and popcorn, I expect.

In that case, no taxes for me!
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

>In Ohio liability insurance is required to get a driver's license. You check a box that
>says in effect "I have liability insurance". No requirement to prove you have coverage.

Sounds like you agree on the principle (you can be required to have forms of insurance) and just have issues with the details.

Then why not just have the gov't subsidize medical insurance for those who truely can't afford it? That's what they are going to do under this plan anyway. It what the gov't always does for people who can't manage to feed themselves, put a roof over their heads etc.

You could ask Mr. Etch-a Sketch Mitt Romney. His Romneycare is almost indistinguishable from ACA.

That lie got blown out of the water upthread - should rightly be called "Patrickcare".

Ummm, wut?

First, I couldn't find the reference "upthread".

But regardless, the Massachusetts health care insurance reform law passed the Mass. General Court (what we call our legislature) in 2006 and was signed by then-Governor Romney on April 12, 2006. Governor Patrick didn't even get the nomination to run as the candidate for the Democrats until September of 2006; he was elected Governor of the Commonwealth in November 2006.

While I think Sal DiMasi (then the Speaker of the House) did a lot more to push it through the General Court, it's completely disingenuous (that's a polite way of saying bullshit) to give credit and/or blame to Gov. Patrick considering he wasn't in office until well after that.

<-- Neutral on the ACA.

Sorry, it's in the "What's so wrong" thread.

Have you been caught lying AGAIN?

No, that's *YOUR* gig.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

>Heck, they would probably leave you alone if you lived in Massachusetts and didn't
>pay for your Romneycare.

Well, aside from garnishing your pay to pay your bills. And increased taxes. From a presentation Romney gave on the topic:

=========================
For those who do not comply:

- Loss of personal tax exemption
- Withholding a portion or all of an income tax refund for deposit in a state personal healthcare expense account
- Other penalties are under consideration

For those without coverage who use medical services:

- If unable to pay, provider may request payment from the state personal healthcare expense account
- If the bill exceeds the account balance, an appropriate wage withholding plan will be established
- Other "free rider" provisions are under consideration

=========================

Where does it say the IRS will come after you?

Not too sure about that, but if you owe over 5k I believe you can't get a passport...which to me is infinitely worse despite my love of popcorn.

I think the Supremes dubbing it a tax has settled the argument. Now, individuals can be taxed for failing to buy a product. Selective taxation based on actions other than purchases. Interesting.

I'm reminded that France considered taxing obesity a few years back. Seems reasonable to me. How far out are we?

How about a tax for being overweight, not showing up for your 3x per week exercise sessions, smoking, drinking and all other things that might increase the cost of your healthcare? Seems the first thing we need to do is eliminate the tax deduction for children. Each one costs the healthcare system more money. Maybe we should start taxing children?
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

It doesn't matter what I think, at this point. It;s a tax. As a matter of law. I've already written that. But I see no limitation to its usw.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Then why not just have the gov't subsidize medical insurance for those who truely can't afford it? That's what they are going to do under this plan anyway. It what the gov't always does for people who can't manage to feed themselves, put a roof over their heads etc.

You could ask Mr. Etch-a Sketch Mitt Romney. His Romneycare is almost indistinguishable from ACA.

Except for the small matter that it was on the state level and not the Federal.

And I don't think it was a multithousand page bill that MA had to pass to find out what was in it either.

And... oh why am I even wasting virtual breath?
You stop breathing for a few minutes and everyone jumps to conclusions.

I think the Supremes dubbing it a tax has settled the argument.

How about this for a slightly better working theory about the situation;

Roberts understood a 5/4 split down party lines would forever taint the Supreme Court. He also understood that millions of people in the US actually were suffering under the status quo system. He wanted to do the right thing by Americans, but didn't want to give Obama a 100% win. By tagging it with the word tax, it gave him the out he was seeking. He could do the right thing for 35 MILLION people, but also give the GOP a buzz word they could use from this point forward with which to bludgeon the 44th Administration and Democrats in general.

History will see Roberts as not the biggest prick who ever sat in the chair, 35 MILLION people get better healthcare than they ever could have and the GOP gets its talking point.

All just by calling the moon the sun.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

It doesn't matter what I think, at this point. It;s a tax. As a matter of law. I've already written that. But I see no limitation to its usw.

Exactly. That was my point above. You can now be compelled to do anything through use of taxation. If you don't want to do it, we just raise the tax to a level you cannot bear. There are no limits to taxation that I can think of. Theoretically, you could be taxed beyond 100% with no legal recourse.

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

I like what I've read about the guy, but he's wrong. Settled by the SCOTUS. It's a tax.

He also understood that millions of people in the US actually were suffering under the status quo system.

Yeah, and now we're on our way to everyone suffering...christianity could've picked up the tab, but you people are to obstinate to allow that.

He also understood that millions of people in the US actually were suffering under the status quo system.

Yeah, and now we're on our way to everyone suffering...christianity could've picked up the tab, but you people are to obstinate to allow that.

Wrong thread, the one your looking for is 2 threads down.

Wrong thread, the one your looking for is 2 threads down.

True Christain obstinance adds value to life and society...atheistic and Catholic obstinance debases it.

So does the Democrat candidate.

True... but the irony meter is off the scale that the only Republican in the country that does not believe it's a tax, also happens to be the presumptive Republican nominee.