Nataly

Why do singles pay more tax??

Can someone please tell me why I should pay more taxes than if I were married??? Do I cost more in healthcare or benefits??? Do I get extra privileges???
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

you're sounding a bit Libertarian here

prepare to be insulted by the usual crowd for that

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Can someone please tell me why I should pay more taxes than if I were married??? Do I cost more in healthcare or benefits??? Do I get extra privileges???

Are you asking this based on French tax policies? Many of us will only be familiar with US ones.

here, in the most simplistic view of income taxes, you quite often pay more as a married couple in the US if both work. This is due to the smaller standard deduction for married persons. And the Obama proposals to increases taxes on couples with income over 250, or singles with income over 200 clearly penalizes dual income couples in the high cost of living states.

Are you asking this based on French tax policies? Many of us will only be familiar with US ones.

here, in the most simplistic view of income taxes, you quite often pay more as a married couple in the US if both work. This is due to the smaller standard deduction for married persons. And the Obama proposals to increases taxes on couples with income over 250, or singles with income over 200 clearly penalizes dual income couples in the high cost of living states.

From what I understand, you married yanks have the option to file separately or jointly... In theory, I think this means you should either pay the same or get some kind of benefit, but you shouldn't be paying more than the singles...

In France, a married couple files jointly. A person who earns little or no salary will reduce the tax paid by their partner as a consequence. Kind of odd that your spouse would be viewed as your "dependent" in a way... But I fail to see how this is justified/fair...
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

perhaps, but for when both spouses work, it'll end up that they'll likely pay at the rate of the higher one or the combined

And married doesn't pay as single - they may choose to pay as "married filing separately" that way uncle sam still has the ability to use a special table to still jack the rate of the spouse with the lower income (i.e., there are cross referencing requirements if you do that - in other words, they still take into consideration your marital status)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

But I fail to see how this is justified/fair...

in what world do tax policies relate to those two words?

But I fail to see how this is justified/fair...

in what world do tax policies relate to those two words?

Apologies. Don't know what I was thinking!!!

Not sure how accurate this is, but it doesn't make bachelor(ette) life sound all that appealing for you 'merkuns... http://www.cracked.com/article_17063_5-reasons-being-single-sucks-even-more-than-you-thought.html
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

From what I understand, you married yanks have the option to file separately or jointly... In theory, I think this means you should either pay the same or get some kind of benefit, but you shouldn't be paying more than the singles...

married filing separately isn't quite the same as single. So again the result is often a higher tax bill. This is perhaps no small reason why so many couples in California are unmarried (owning a house together is a marriage of different sorts, and much harder to get out of).

That said, in the longer run, there are considerable benefits. If you're married for 10 years then when it comes time to collect Social Security you have access to your spouse's benefits which could mean more. In terms of inheritance laws should your spouse die you gain a huge advantage in stepped up cost basis.

In France, a married couple files jointly. A person who earns little or no salary will reduce the tax paid by their partner as a consequence. Kind of odd that your spouse would be viewed as your "dependent" in a way... But I fail to see how this is justified/fair...

www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2014568;search_string=fair%20tax;#2014568

www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4234953;search_string=fair%20tax;#4234953

www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3362944;search_string=fair%20tax;#3362944

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

A friend got great financial advice from an expert the other day

"whatever your marital status is now......don't change it"

The big question should be,why do those without children pay more than those with them?
With the obvious problem of over population,it seems that you should reward those who choose not to have children with huge tax breaks.

The problems with Social Security/Medicare in the long run stem from people not having enough children. They are the ones that will be paying the way when we retire. So again, it's short term vs long term picture.

short term being social security and long term being insufficient fresh water and food for the growing population?
It seems to me that over population = more expensive food,power,water,less of everything to go around.
What good will social security be,if there is nothing left in the way of resources(food,water,ect)?
As far as the original post of couples vs singles,I do not know why anyone would want to get married unless they are planning a family.
So I think married should pay more to head them off at the pass.
But thats just my opinion.

So are you hinting that you are looking for a guy to lower your taxes?:ph34r:

How un-romantic (and very accountant-y) of you to suggest this!!! :D:D
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

The big question should be,why do those without children pay more than those with them?
With the obvious problem of over population,it seems that you should reward those who choose not to have children with huge tax breaks.

The fact is that people often pay for things they don't directly benefit from... If we paid for only what we personally use, some would not be able to afford to live...
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

I do not mind tax dollars being used for infrastructure(roads,parks,ect),or for people who are disabled.
I do have a problem paying a higher tax rate than parents so their kids can eat breakfast,lunch,and to go to school and all the other things that parents should pay a higher tax for.
If you can not afford to take care of them,then do not have them.

As far as the original post of couples vs singles,I do not know why anyone would want to get married unless they are planning a family.

financially? As discussed, there are many financial gains in the big picture. Social reasons - pretty of them as well. The institution has existed in human societies for several millenia, and it show up independently in diverse populations, so if you don't understand why, perhaps some study is in order.

I understand that primitive and superstitious societies not only promoted marriage,but required it for sexual relations between men and women.
But in modern science enlightened societies,it seems to have a hard time staying afloat,as the divorce rates reflect.
History also shows that marriage seemed to work better when women had very few if any rights or powers compared to men.
In many old cultures,it was ok if the man had relations with with other women,but the women were looked down upon for either sleeping with the married man,or cheating on the husband.
In fact it was common for women to be put to death for adultery.
It seems that children would benefit the most from the institution of marriage,as it would most likely help create more security and stability for them in a traditional family structure.

(and very accountant-y)

A man after your own heart! ;)

If she shows me her tax forms, I'll show her mine.B|
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.