JohnRich

Germany announces plans for gun registry

Maybe he doesn't want it.
Not everyone does.

Perhaps, but he strikes me as one of the reasons why many people think Americans are ignorant of the world outside the US.

Perceptions are based on how and where someone is brought up

I dont look at your country the way you do, nor do you look at mine as I do

But yours is not any better or worse IMO

It is just different
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

So you just can’t say what you think?
Well that is a real step up you got to admit.

In the Dutch situation there probably won't be juridical consequences if you deny the holocaust in an informal setting. And if you do it more public it might eventually result in a juridical slap on the wrist. But I think everyone should be able to speak their mind if that doesn't lead to dangerous situation. (yelling fire in a theatre et al)

As for first amendment restrictions?

I will take ours over yours ANY day

But you wouldn't know the restrictions of our "first amendment", so you're essentially making a blind choice.

and nothing wrong about supporting your country and reality

but you have to condem anothers country

I don't condemn the US of A, I'm just glad I'm not an American.

In the Dutch situation there probably won't be juridical consequences if you deny the holocaust in an informal setting. And if you do it more public it might eventually result in a juridical slap on the wrist. But I think everyone should be able to speak their mind if that doesn't lead to dangerous situation. (yelling fire in a theatre et al)

Agreed, mostly the same here

But you wouldn't know the restrictions of our "first amendment", so you're essentially making a blind choice. true, you got me here. I made a generalization to myself that could be in error

and nothing wrong about supporting your country and reality

but you have to condem anothers country

I don't condemn the US of A, I'm just glad I'm not an American.

And I am glad I am
Abraham Lincoln

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6.5 million Jewish people who formerly resided in Germany or German occupied territories would disagree if they were still alive.

And big US companies and families happily financed the whole thing.

Actually, the Vatican underwrote the regimes in Italy and Germany at the time.

Yeah so? Just because another party is also guilty doesn't mean US companies and families had no involvement.

Ford-Werke
Dulles Family
Bush Family
Walker Family
Rockefeller Family
IG Farben and its American subsidiaries.

The list goes on quite a bit.

It is just different

IIRC you were pissing all over the "weak minded" Euros a couple of posts ago.....

But OK, you're right.

It is just different

IIRC you were pissing all over the "weak minded" Euros a couple of posts ago.....

When talking about a law telling other what they can or can not think

I know you posted about it being more about public conversation but, that does not change the fact that any law like this stinks of political correctness

Regardless of how offensive some may view it
Abraham Lincoln

Nonsensical? Freedom of Speech? WTF are you talking about?[sly:D
Redacting history seems to have been elevated to a Euro art form. Euro newspapers are full of reports of goofy crap daily about the war.
Here, we see you trying to refight the war. No matter how many times Euro's try to bend history, you still lose.

6.5 million Jewish people who formerly resided in Germany or German occupied territories would disagree if they were still alive.

And big US companies and families happily financed the whole thing.

Actually, the Vatican underwrote the regimes in Italy and Germany at the time.

Yeah so? Just because another party is also guilty doesn't mean US companies and families had no involvement.

Ford-Werke
Dulles Family
Bush Family
Walker Family
Rockefeller Family
IG Farben and its American subsidiaries.

The list goes on quite a bit.

I agree wholeheartedly.

I was referring to the seed money that put the Fascists in Italy and the NSDAP in Germany on the map.

In the early '30s, Communists were ascendant in Italy as they were in various other countries. Their platform of absorbing the Vatican into Italy proper and redistributing its wealth was viewed, quite correctly, as a threat to the Church.

A Devil's bargain was struck, in which a great deal of money (reportedly 100,000,000 gold Marks or equivalent) was supplied to the parties committed to the demise of Communism.

This influx of cash was pivotal to the ascendance of the Fascisti & NSDAP, who were then supported by anyone wishing to do business in those countries.

FWIW, many of the people who either supported or tolerated the Third Reich considered many of their unbelievable excesses to be simply unbelievable - until disbelief was no longer possible. The propaganda films showing how humane was their treatment of people being "relocated" were not to convince their detractors, but to reassure their supporters that they were too "civilized" to be suspected of barbarity.

Would that that was the case.

BSBD,

Winsor

Maybe he doesn't want it.
Not everyone does.

Perhaps, but he strikes me as one of the reasons why many people think Americans are ignorant of the world outside the US.

How about the people that think there'll be "3 dead on the sidewalk" anytime a gun is present? Are they ignorant, too, or do they get a pass for being European?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Sounds like a First Amendment restriction to me.

But you wouldn't know the restrictions of our "first amendment", so you're essentially making a blind choice.

And yet you *THINK* you know so much about ours that you can compare the two?

I'm just glad I'm not an American.

Full agreement, there.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

And yet you *THINK* you know so much about ours that you can compare the two?

Shhhhhh, he's on a roll...I've talked to him enough to see his ignorance imbedded by the media...

....but he certainly has a better grasp on our culture than we do theirs, but that's simply because we don't really give a shit. They seem to have a preoccupation with us, similar to the jealously of weaker siblings.

I can't blame them, though...we still rule the world, especially though media...we've made our bed and it's open to all...we are whores, the great Satan.
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

....but he certainly has a better grasp on our culture than we do theirs, but that's simply because we don't really give a shit.

[BAM]That's fine with me, of course, being ignorant isn't illegal or something. The problem is that Americans are relatively ignorant AND have a tendency to meddle in everyone else's business AND a tendency to whine afterwards about how everybody hates you.[/BAM]

....but he certainly has a better grasp on our culture than we do theirs, but that's simply because we don't really give a shit.

[BAM]That's fine with me, of course, being ignorant isn't illegal or something. The problem is that Americans are relatively ignorant AND have a tendency to meddle in everyone else's business AND a tendency to whine afterwards about how everybody hates you.[/BAM]

Sort of like you and Cristel talking about gun stuff, you mean?
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Sort of like you and Cristel talking about gun stuff, you mean?

Discussing things =/= meddling. Try again.

Yeah, about that discussion...maybe you can show where you or Christel got to anything higher-brow than "Shut up stupid Americans"?
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

maybe you can show where you or Christel got to anything higher-brow than "Shut up stupid Americans"?

I quote myself from post #77:

But I think everyone should be able to speak their mind if that doesn't lead to dangerous situation.

And because that's definitely higher brow than (and in fact the opposite of) "Shut up stupid Americans" you'll predictably change the subject again.

maybe you can show where you or Christel got to anything higher-brow than "Shut up stupid Americans"?

I quote myself from post #77:

But I think everyone should be able to speak their mind if that doesn't lead to dangerous situation.

And imagine that... that's pretty much how the First Amendment works over here!

And because that's definitely higher brow than (and in fact the opposite of) "Shut up stupid Americans" you'll predictably change the subject again.

Sorry - guess the decent bits got lost in the constant litany of posts like #6:
"As long as there aren't German toddlers shooting other German toddlers, at least those ignorant Krauts can comfort themselves with the thought they do better that the Yankees."

Or #7:
"No they don't, now go back, read the sentence you quoted again, but this time try to understand it. It can be a bit hard, I know, but if you really concentrate on those 16 words, you might eventually discover what it really says. "

Or #22:
"Yes, and in the United States of Bigotry, Negroes had to ride in the back of the bus until, when? 1965? Whatever your problem with the Nazis was, racism wasn't it. "

Shall I continue?
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Are they serious? Do they think is someone is in possession of an illegal firearm they will just come forward and register it?

It means Police can ask on the radio for quick check on someone if they find a firearm in the possession of that person.

Well here in Spain the police don't have to bother with a radio check.
If I'm walking down the road with a shotgun or rifle slung over my shoulder all they ask for is
my firearms license and the guns unique registration certificate which I am obliged to carry
whilst carrying a fire arm in a public place.

I for one have no problem with my guns being in a gun registry.

Gone fishing