JohnRich

Anti-Gun Starbucks Boycott

News:
Starbucks' "Pro-Gun" Policy Prompts Gun Victims' Advocate Group to Launch Nationwide Boycott on Valentine's Day 2012

"A nationwide boycott of Starbucks stores and its products will be launched on Valentine's Day 2012. Its goal is to eliminate the risk of guns in public places and ultimately to bring sane gun laws to the U.S.

"This boycott is being called by the National Gun Victim's Action Council (NGAC), a network of 14 million gun victims, the faith community including the: Episcopal Peace Fellowship, United Church of Christ, Fellowship of Reconciliation (46 peace fellowships and 43 affiliate fellowships), secular groups working to reduce gun violence and many of the organizations that support passing sane gun laws.

"WHY STARBUCKS? Currently, Starbucks allows guns and assault weapons to be openly carried in its stores (in 43 states) and concealed and carried in its stores (in 49 states)..."
Full story: National Gun Victim's Action Council

Actually, Starbucks company policy is to comply with the laws of the states in which they operate. Since 49 states have concealed carry laws, then Starbucks allows citizens with concealed carry license to patronize their stores. Pretty simple, actually. Starbucks respects the laws of the states in which their stores operate, and the rights of the citizens of those states.

But that isn't good enough for this anti-gun organization. They want Starbucks to create a company policy to ban gun carry in their stores, even though it's allowed by state law. And since Starbucks won't do that, they feel that they deserve to be boycotted in protest.

Why single out Starbucks, I wonder? Will they call for a boycott of every other business that also respects state gun laws?

It seems to me that if they don't like concealed carry, then they should attack the state legislation which allows it, rather than private businesses which operate within that law.

I hope that Starbucks sticks to their guns and refuses to yield to these yokels, and that the boycott flops. And in order to help it to flop, gun owners can choose to visit Starbucks on that day to counteract the anti-gun boycott, with a pro-gun buycott.

Note to self: Go to Starbucks on Feb 14th. Make sure I tell them why (I don't usually pay that mcuh for coffee that isn't all that great).

There are pro-gun groups that are doing a similar thing here in Wisconsin. Supporting those that choose not to restrict gun rights, not supporting those that don't.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

"This boycott is being called by the National Gun Victim's Action Council (NGAC), a network of 14 million gun victims, the faith community including the: Episcopal Peace Fellowship, United Church of Christ, Fellowship of Reconciliation (46 peace fellowships and 43 affiliate fellowships), secular groups working to reduce gun violence and many of the organizations that support passing sane gun laws.

Wow - they have 14 million gun victims in America? Did we start letting in Iraqi war refugees?

But that isn't good enough for this anti-gun organization. They want Starbucks to create a company policy to ban gun carry in their stores, even though it's allowed by state law. And since Starbucks won't do that, they feel that they deserve to be boycotted in protest.

The slightly longer back story, if memory serves, is that Pete's Coffee asked the open carry advocates in California to cease, and Starbucks welcomed them.

Damn, that still won't decrease the lines in Sbux.

If I were Stateside, I'd go to SB to support that... it sure wouldn't be for the over-roasted, over-brewed burnt tasting coffee.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Damn, that still won't decrease the lines in Sbux.

If I were Stateside, I'd go to SB to support that... it sure wouldn't be for the over-roasted, over-brewed burnt tasting coffee.

Ditto.
It's funny to me how people blindly follow fashion fads. I have no clue as to how Starbucks became fashionable.

Maybe it's that "If it costs a lot, it must be good" thing.
Or, maybe it's the "Look at me! I can afford to pay big bucks for crap product!"

I dunno.
I think I'd at least go in to tell them I support their policy of abiding by state law but I'd be hard-pressed to actually buy anything.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I have no clue as to how Starbucks became fashionable.

Drive thu - Dirty Chai - Pumpkin cream cheese muffins...

Comming soon - overpriced Starbuck shots...for hunters with some class.:)
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

Note to self: Go to Starbucks on Feb 14th. Make sure I tell them why (I don't usually pay that mcuh for coffee that isn't all that great).

There are pro-gun groups that are doing a similar thing here in Wisconsin. Supporting those that choose not to restrict gun rights, not supporting those that don't.

I never got to charbucks. But I will on the 14th.
--
Rob

Ditto.
It's funny to me how people blindly follow fashion fads. I have no clue as to how Starbucks became fashionable.

Not too hard to figure out - Coffee Americano dominates the land, is watered down swill (imo, as a infrequent cappucino drinker). If you prefer something a bit stronger, you have to go looking for it. Starbucks was among the first to meet that demand. Other's have emerged since, everyone gets to find one that meets their taste profile.

Apparently it's become vogue to bash Starbucks' coffee.

*Become* vogue? No, Starbucks has *always* sucked.

Poser fags.

Pretty harsh...even *I* wouldn't call SB customers that.

:P
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Wow - they have 14 million gun victims in America? Did we start letting in Iraqi war refugees?

If one person gets shot, how many victims are there? I am quite sure the definition of victim is malleable enough to include anyone who wishes themselves included.

"Well, I know someone who knows someone whose uncle was shot and injured once 10 years ago, and when I heard about it I was saddened for a minute, so I too am a gun violence victim."

I guess we are all victims of cancer and automobile violence too.

Apparently it's become vogue to bash Starbucks' coffee. "Ooh, it's burnt." Poser fags. These are the same people who refer to Budweiser as "beer". Oh, BTW, I have 2 bags of Starbucks in my kitchen, Cafe Verona and Sumatra, and they kick ass.

I have a hard time believing millions will pay $4+ for coffee, wait in long lines, or drive out of their way from the interstate highway (road trip with my mom) to find a Starbucks if they didn't like the coffee. There's no high price validation feedback going on here.

When I was at Cal I lived a half block away from the original Pete's coffee. It also didn't grow into a nationwide brand by being a ripoff.

Heck, it's vogue to bash anyone who is successful or popular. Mob rules!

FIFY
Successful and/or popular has little to do with the mob mentality.
Witness:
-religion
-politics
-Bradley Manning
-Pluto
-Shah
-Kallend

Can you say that about
-Platform shoes
-Spike heels
-Corsets
-Mullets
-Leisure suits
-$500 jumpsuits
-Beamers
-Harleys
-ad infinitum
???

Good or not....$4 for coffee? Really?
Think of the starving children.

More like about $2 for a basic cup of their daily blend. Same goes for their various competitors, like the gourmet coffee kiosk at the mall, etc. Given a choice between that and $1.25 for s cup of some shit, yeah, I'll pay the 2 bucks for a cup of good coffee.

Starbucks-lovers are the new repressed darkies. Here's your card, you animals.

Given a choice between that and $1.25 for s cup of some shit, yeah, I'll pay the 2 bucks for a cup of good coffee.

Given that choice I'd have to go with you.

Starbucks-lovers are the new repressed darkies. Here's your card, you animals.

Bring back the dark ages. Make your own.
:D:D:D

Starbucks is the new religion!
Bash away!

Weapons have had their shot in the dark. Religion is getting old. Starbucks is the new bashing vogue.
:D:D

Can you say that about
-Platform shoes
-Spike heels
-Corsets
-Mullets
-Leisure suits
-$500 jumpsuits
-Beamers
-Harleys
-ad infinitum
???

Good or not....$4 for coffee? Really?
Think of the starving children.

$4 gets you a really big mocha...with a fairly alarming number of calories if you use milk and get the whipped cream on top.

As for the others:
any shoe ware can be good on the right legs, or with the right skirt.
do people pay for mullets?
do people pay a whole $4 for leisure suits?
bmw cars or motorcycles? The latter are a very good value for the high mileage rider - I put 72k on my first one.
harleys - well, got no answer for you there, other than to each his own.

Apparently it's become vogue to bash Starbucks' coffee. "Ooh, it's burnt." Poser fags. These are the same people who refer to Budweiser as "beer".

Even if your team wins, if you drink Bud Light while watching the Superbowl you are a loser.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

"WHY STARBUCKS? Currently, Starbucks allows guns and assault weapons to be openly carried in its stores (in 43 states) and concealed and carried in its stores (in 49 states)..."

Cool, right I'm off for an expresso, if you see me on the news can someone phone the Metropolitan police and explain please. Ta
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Very true, the modern day culture of begrudging everyone who has more than you, be it money, career, education, talent. Pretty sickening and pathetic, its becoming an international obsession.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca