bodypilot90

Chevy volt real cost 250k to tax payers

More volts sold? did you miss the part about GM buying them back because people are scared they might become a well done steak? the buy back will raise the cost per car.

That problem was a bit overstated, but they made the offer to anyone that was not comfortable with it. You can't build a car brand behaving otherwise. Nevertheless, that issue is resolvable, and entirely different car models can still make use of these batteries.

Problem solved? last weak they were barbequing customers and this week the problem is fixed?

Which customers are you referring to? The concern came from a fire that initiated *3 weeks* after a crash! And that involved crash test dummies. Humans, I'm pretty sure, would get out a bit sooner.

The issue of battery packs certainly is a significant concern wrt crash proofing a car. And li-on batteries do have flammability issues - lithium in its pure form burns in air. But I don't think this Volt problem is going to be of great concern to the current owners, who are proponents of the concept. If the problem became worse, it could impact the ability to reach out to a greater sales market. But they only need to sell another 10,000 cars to make that math fall to 100k and then under.

>Problem solved? last weak they were barbequing customers and this week the
>problem is fixed?

How many of their customers have been barbequed? I recall 119 deaths and 1400 injuries due to tire separation on the Ford Explorer before they got around to a recall; is this worse than that?

" All mine comes from solar. "

Friend of mine did that for $30,000, at $200 per month that takes 150 months, 12.5 years, to break even.

Not saying to not do it for some things.

All of mine in Phoenix is nu---clee----er !
( For those people in Ree - oh --- Lin--- dah. )
:)But it makes me proud that you guys realize that electricity does not originate in wall sockets. You are fairly advanced people.

>All of mine comes from coal.

Hmm. Where do you live?

Whether 100% true or not
today there has to be a coal,hydro, gas or nuke plant on line to back up all of the green generation from wind or solar.

Many people do not understand this and the enviros do not like to talk about this fact

I do wonder though,
If we put a 100k of these cars in CA today, is there enough generation to cover the increased load?

I am not trying to exagerate the speed but I am curious as to wether or not the grid and generation fleets could keep up
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

I was referring to pure steam powered, not a plant that uses another source to drive the steam turbines as the coal and nuke plants do.

There are pure steam powered turbine power generating plants around the US. Industrial plants tend to like them a bit.

Not a single person was injured by a Volt, instead they had one that caught on fire weeks after a crash test in the test course. Where did you get that people were getting injured by their cars?

Not a single human has ever been killed by a piranha, either. At least anything documented. Doesn't mean you'll find me swimming with them.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I was referring to pure steam powered, not a plant that uses another source to drive the steam turbines as the coal and nuke plants do.

There are pure steam powered turbine power generating plants around the US. Industrial plants tend to like them a bit.

What fuel generated the steam?
Abraham Lincoln

How do you get steam ?

I do wonder though,
If we put a 100k of these cars in CA today, is there enough generation to cover the increased load?

without a doubt.

Peak power usage in CA is 45,000 megawatts. This is summertime, when the ACs are running hard, and rolling blackouts are possible. (Today, the load is 27,000 MW, with 37,000 available)

It appears that with 120V power, the charger for the Volt requires just around 1KW of power for 7 or so hours. So 100k of these = 100,000 KW, or 100 MW. That's a blip, and since most people will charge it overnight when demand plunges, a complete non issue.

Not a single person was injured by a Volt, instead they had one that caught on fire weeks after a crash test in the test course. Where did you get that people were getting injured by their cars?

Not a single human has ever been killed by a piranha, either. At least anything documented. Doesn't mean you'll find me swimming with them.

You did do 18 skydives, however.

I do wonder though,

without a doubt.

Peak power usage in CA is 45,000 megawatts. This is summertime, when the ACs are running hard, and rolling blackouts are possible. (Today, the load is 27,000 MW, with 37,000 available)

It appears that with 120V power, the charger for the Volt requires just around 1KW of power for 7 or so hours. So 100k of these = 100,000 KW, or 100 MW. That's a blip, and since most people will charge it overnight when demand plunges, a complete non issue.

Is the volt the electric only car?

I know I could look it up but you seem to know about these cars
Abraham Lincoln

Also

based on electic costs and the distance it can travel

what is the fuel cost per mile?
Abraham Lincoln

Well there was one!

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/12/09/2538698/bolivian-teenager-commits-suicide.html

The problem is that if it happens while driving it takes time to stop the car and get out. I know nobody has been hurt yet but it will happen.

The problem is that if it happens while driving it takes time to stop the car and get out. I know nobody has been hurt yet but it will happen.

Which is different than an engine compartment fire in a gas car, how?

- Dan G

I know I could look it up but you seem to know about these cars

Not really, but it took less than 5 minutes to confirm that their power draw is not that significant in a state with nearly 40 Million people.

As to your other questions, it depends. How much your power costs, how close you are to higher price bands of power, and of course, how your commute compares to the battery only range of the car. 7 KWhours costs around 80 cents here at the lowest price tier. That would be under 3 cents per mile.

More volts sold? did you miss the part about GM buying them back because people are scared they might become a well done steak? the buy back will raise the cost per car.

That problem was a bit overstated, but they made the offer to anyone that was not comfortable with it. You can't build a car brand behaving otherwise. Nevertheless, that issue is resolvable, and entirely different car models can still make use of these batteries.

Problem solved? last weak they were barbequing customers and this week the problem is fixed?

How many people have been burned by electric cars? How many by gas powered Pintos?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.