tkhayes

End of the war in Iraq

Did anyone notice today that the war in Iraq officially ended? Obama said he would do that, but even the left seems to be amazingly silent about it.

Certainly I would think that this would be an election promise 'kept' and would be in the front lines of their campaigns, but no, they do not seem to get it as far as tooting their own horn.

Not that I am overly pleased with BHO particularly or tooting his horn, just sayin'....

This was predicted under the Bush administration.

Between the success of the 2006 surge and the end of the SOF agreement, it was going to happen under this president, no matter who it was.

You won't see to much of it because people would try to give credit to Bush, where it rightly belongs.

Ever notice how BHO's successes are usually a result of a Bush policy?
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

And this was a great policy. Cost us 1.5 trillion, over 4000 US lives, over 100k civilian Iraqi lives. Dancing in the streets in Iraq earlier today. Iran and Iraq exchanging bodies from their war, on their way to becoming allies. Yes, lets give Bush all of the credit for the Iraq war.

Not that I'm saying anything good about BHO -- I am not.

I'm not arguing pro's or con's.

All I am saying is that in 2008, just before bush got out of office, it was predicted that the war would end in three years.

I guess Obama isn't trying to label the war his success......yet.....
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

All I am saying is that in 2008, just before bush got out of office, it was predicted that the war would end in three years.

Promising to end something 3 years in the future, when someone else has to do it, is like promising to take care of the deficit AFTER the next election. It's an empty pledge with no responsibility to follow through.

I guess Obama isn't trying to label the war his success......yet.....

He can fairly and honestly call getting out of Iraq his success. We know it wouldn't have happened if McCain had won.

He can fairly and honestly call getting out of Iraq his success.

If by "his success" you mean upholding the SOFA that Bush signed that stated the military would be out by 2012, sure.

We know it wouldn't have happened if McCain had won.

Ah, "that old familiar lie".

McCain would have been bound by the same SOFA - lets quit confusing a discussion of presence like in Germany, Italy, Japan etc with "100 years war", m'kay?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

You won't see to much of it because people would try to give credit to Bush, where it rightly belongs.

hmm, so Bush predicted the war would end in 2011 when he was still in power in 2008? Never heard THAT before....I thought it was 2003....??

Bush was so fucking wrong with all aspects of this war, I cannot believe he could take any credit except for taking the credit for starting it. And if he takes the credit for starting it then he should also be taking the blame for starting it.

Ever notice how BHO's successes are usually a result of a Bush policy?

My point was that I think it would be a great opportunity politically for BHO to take the credit for righting a terrible wrong by the previous administration.

...like a homeless vet to spruce up the electio...

I'll accept homeless vets, even take care of them over spending the money to keep them at war. It is far cheaper to put them in school and feed/house them than it is to have them at forward operating bases around the world.

I get that from Republican Congressmen when they talk about military budget cuts...."what about the jobs??"

Everyone forgets that before they were soldiers, they were people. 'people' get an education, start businesses, get jobs, contribute in other ways. You'd think the only thing they are capable of doing in their lives is being a soldier - and that would be pretty sad commentary on the way our military prepares their (our) people for the world.

you missed my poitn as usual, so I will state is again:

Bush was so fucking wrong with all aspects of this war, I cannot believe he could take any credit except for taking the credit for starting it. And if he takes the credit for starting it then he should also be taking the blame for starting it.

No need - we all know that everything bad that happens in world is due to Bush or Republicans, you don't need to repeat it ad nauseam.

And if he takes the credit for starting it then he should also be taking the blame for starting it.

Then, since BUSH signed the SOFA document which mandated the withdrawal of the troops, HE should be getting the credit and not Obama...right?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Sorry, we aren't going to forget left-wingers like Harry Reid declaring the war was lost and we needed to turn tail and slink away in the night. We aren't going to forget "General Betrayus". We aren't going to forget opposition to the Surge. Now the left-wingers want to claim credit? Give me a break.

And this was a great policy. Cost us 1.5 trillion, over 4000 US lives, over 100k civilian Iraqi lives. Dancing in the streets in Iraq earlier today. Iran and Iraq exchanging bodies from their war, on their way to becoming allies. Yes, lets give Bush all of the credit for the Iraq war.

Not that I'm saying anything good about BHO -- I am not.

What he said.

And every republican Presidential candidate with the exception of Ron Paul, oppose our pullout from Iraq.

And no, McCain would never have agreed to leave if he were president.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIDXLgWKQBU

You really don't see why we should maintain a presence in Iraq? Seriously??

Nope. As in: Fuck no.

The US went there because G. W. Bush was bamboozled into proving himself to his chicken-hawk staffers, showing-up his dad and assuaging his Oedipus complex.

The result was endless blood, as well as the squandering of so much treasure that, yes, the US is still the only modern, industrialized country in the world without universal national health care coverage. In the meantime, the Halliburtons of the country get richer and fatter, while the ranks of the under-employed and uninsured.... well, that speaks for itself.

It's a shame and a disgrace; but just like Saudis who see nothing wrong with beheading women for sorcery, many average Americans are simply oblivious to the shame and disgrace. And many of them post on blogs, repeat FoxNews sound bytes and loyally go to the polls on Election Day and vote for More Of The Same®. And so it goes.

You really don't see why we should maintain a presence in Iraq? Seriously??

We go and destabilize the area and now we have to stay to keep it stable? I guess it's the old " if you broke it, you bought it" argument The vast majorityof Americans, including Republicans want us out.

Theres a better argument for staying in Afghanistan.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-57323525-503544/poll-three-in-four-back-iraq-troop-pullout/