jgoose71

Canada withdraws from the Kyoto Protocol

Canada has formally withdrawn. If they didn't they would face $13 billion in fines. It's kind of like withdrawing from a college class before you fail it to not wreck your GPA.

The hilarious part (not mentioned in this article) is China blasting Canada. They say they should be exempt while Canada needs to comply.

A lot of people are saying that the other big reason they are pulling out is because the energy sector will never allow Canada to ever get to the required level of Green house gasses under the Kyoto protocol again. They have to pump their new oil sands reserve to the U.S. to fuel Al gores private jet and Obama's around the world campain trips in Air Force One.
http://www.france24.com/en/20111213-canada-withdraw-kyoto-protocol-harper-kent-climate-change-durban

Edited to Add: We'll shut down our own ability to drill, but we'll place such high demands on other countries that they have to withdraw from agreements....
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

the problem with these climate summits is the same problem the UN has with global policies. There are no 'binding' contracts. there are no 'rules' that can be enforced.

It's a giant circle jerk for everyone involved. A bunch of countries get together and decide on stuff and then there is no 'god judge' or 'god court' to oversee it. So some countries block things that are detrimental to them, the other countries promise stuff and never deliver or come up with reasons to delay implementation, and now everyone is on Canada's shit because they have backed out of it.

I'd be interested in seeing a list of promises made and broken within Kyoto for all the countries that signed onto it.

I am disappointed yes, but when Kyoto was signed I was already thinking "what a fucking waste of money."

Look at aid for Haiti.....dozens of countries promised billions of dollars - looks good for a news sound bite, but few have delivered squat.

Canada only contributes about 2% of all the world's GHGs and Alberta home to the ever so hated Oil Sands by Lefties is not even remotely close to being the biggest emitter of GHGs in Canada (look to the coal fueled power plants or millions and millions of cars in Toronto and Montreal if you want to see who is emitting most of the GHGs). But never forget ...

Blame Canada, Blame Canada

The Leftist media is going bananas with the news that the Conservatives have pulled Canada out of this wealth transfer scheme. Funny, the Liberals who signed on to Kyoto did absolutely nothing towards cutting back the GHGs for the 8 years that they were in power after signing the accord. But don't let facts get in the way of your arguments. What a joke Kyoto was.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Canada only contributes about 2% of all the world's GHGs and Alberta home to the ever so hated Oil Sands by Lefties is not even remotely close to being the biggest emitter of GHGs in Canada (look to the coal fueled power plants or millions and millions of cars in Toronto and Montreal if you want to see who is emitting most of the GHGs). But never forget ...

Are you sure about this? On per capita basis, Canada is much greater emitter than the US. This seems to be true for all of the major energy producers.

On per capita basis, Canada is much greater emitter than the US.

Have you ever been to Canada? Do you have the slightest idea of what life is like in Canada in the middle of winter? Do you possibly think Canadians could live the green "zero emission" life style Kyoto kooks are demanding when the temperatures dip into the -30s. Fossil fuels are burned to keep one from freezing to death in a country that has more in common with Siberia than anywhere else.

Canada only contributes about 2% of the total worldwide GHGs.

On per capita basis, Canada is much greater emitter than the US.

Have you ever been to Canada?mperatures dip into the -30s. Fossil f Do you have the slightest idea of what life is like in the middle of winter

Well, only Vancouver, at Thanksgiving. I did get in the water, however.

I love how people use "Al Gore flies in a jet plane and therefore he is a hypocrite" line. Reminds me of this:
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/313442_10150894221915500_717370499_21258206_1453787454_n.jpg

Anyway, not surprising at all for Canada to be gone from Kyoto. Canada has the 2nd biggest oil reserve in the world with the Tar Sands so Canada would have exited Kyoto even if Liberals were in power.

The Climate problem imo is not the science, but rather a lack of feasible plans to implement them. Nothing can replace China's coal nor is there any feasible plan to relay the windy/solar U.S areas (midwest-southwest) to the cities in the northeast.
Kyoto doesn't seem to recognize the economic factor.

Japan will be next to get out because it is economically unfeasible for them too.

Edit:
http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2011/12/carbon-emissions
Interesting chart if anyone is interested.

Anyway,
cheers and hugs
Shc

Just remember why Canada's per capita contribution is higher than the USA's or most other nations. It's not because we have oil in the ground. It's because it's cold up here for more than half the year and people burn fossil fuels to keep from freezing to death. :o

Just remember why Canada's per capita contribution is higher than the USA's or most other nations. It's not because we have oil in the ground. It's because it's cold up here for more than half the year and people burn fossil fuels to keep from freezing to death. :o

I'm, curious, but haven't looked this up: How does Canada's contribution compare to, say, Scandinavian countries which have roughly similar climates, economies and standards of living?

I'm, curious, but haven't looked this up: How does Canada's contribution compare to, say, Scandinavian countries which have roughly similar climates, economies and standards of living?

That would be interesting to see. However, before the stats are produced, we should keep in mind a fundamental difference as well for the comparison: just moving durable goods around here (3,854,000 sq.mi.) is quite unlike moving durable goods throughout Sweden (174,000 sq.mi.)

John

The whole Global Warming Climate Change hoopla has nothing to do with 'science' or "preventing catastrophic human-induced climate shift"

It's all about grant money

How on earth do people still believe that Climate Change has nothing to do with science?

Saying climate change won't lead to "catastrophic changes" is one thing (the models used are somewhat debatable), but to say that the science doesn't back it up is just being in denial.

Next thing you know, people will say Earth is flat again.

Next thing you know, people will say Earth is flat again.

Why do you think the Earth was flat previously?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Because Climate scientists change the data when it doesn't fit the theory instead of the reverse.

Pretty sure he meant that climate change is still based on science, whatever that science is. Unless of course you think a divine being is responsible for changes in climate.

Because Climate scientists change the data when it doesn't fit the theory instead of the reverse.

Pretty sure he meant that climate change is still based on science, whatever that science is.

He specifically mentions the models in his post. Nice try.

Unless of course you think a divine being is responsible for changes in climate

Yes, I'm *so* convinced that it's actually due to some divine being that I discuss data and theory instead.

Think you can get any more lame for the next attempt?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

As John said above population density is a large contributing factor. Furthermore I think it is a misnomer to suggest that the weather in Scandinavia is much like Canada's. Large parts of Denmark and Norway are like Vancouver with much less like Alberta. Sweden and Finland are a bit colder but still nowhere near the same. Greenland is perhaps a bit better comparison. While it is true that both regions' populations tend to crowd around the moderate bits (Toronto and Vancouver in Canada) the proportion of population and particularly economic activity that occurs within the area under the continental air mass and, more particularly, the Arctic air mass is much higher in Canada. Most of Canada has a climate like Siberia. Comparing their energy consumption per capita (and correcting for income) would be more appropriate.

Scandinavia produces an enormous amount of hydroelectricity, and a great deal of their heating is electric, so I would expect them to have a far smaller "heating" pollution level from hydrocarbons per capita than Canada. However, there is a lot of domestic wood-fired heating, so there is still pollution, most likely with a higher particulate loading than for the same amount of heat with hydrocarbons.

They also have enormous gas fields just off shore, but don't use any of it; it all gets shipped to mainland Europe.

It's all about grant money

I have had research grants to work on understanding transmission of malaria, Dengue Fever, and Chagas' Disease. Do you believe that I invented those diseases, and spread them around the world, just to get grant money?

I suppose in your myopic world it doesn't even bear considering that scientists get grants to work on real-world issues. Perhaps you're just projecting?

Don

Scandinavia produces an enormous amount of hydroelectricity, and a great deal of their heating is electric, so I would expect them to have a far smaller "heating" pollution level from hydrocarbons per capita than Canada. However, there is a lot of domestic wood-fired heating, so there is still pollution, most likely with a higher particulate loading than for the same amount of heat with hydrocarbons.

They also have enormous gas fields just off shore, but don't use any of it; it all gets shipped to mainland Europe.

Wood is a hydro-carbon essentially. However it doesn't count towards the co2 footprint because it (presumably) is regrown.
Canada also has massive hydroelectric production (not nearly as much as Norway per capita), but we sell most of it to the Americans. We also sell most (all) of our petroleum production to the US. The big problem we have in a Kyoto style world is that our country is not developed yet. We are placed in the "developed economy" group because the development we have is wealthy. However most of our land is not occupied. If we accepted Kyoto we would have to limit immigration only to those rich enough to purchase the price of their future carbon footprint at the door. Not a problem for developing economies in the third world. Not as much of a problem for countries with stagnant or declining population bases. Big problem for us.
The truth is Kyoto was over the day Bush said it was. Our government of the day made a little political hay with it but never put in any measures to live up to it. The current gov would have pulled out years ago but they just got the majority needed to do so. Kyoto was never going to solve anything. Treaties that allow the problem to get worse while some are asked to pay the price are simply not going to work.

I have had research grants to work on understanding transmission of malaria, Dengue Fever, and Chagas' Disease. Do you believe that I invented those diseases, and spread them around the world, just to get grant money?

This has been the plot of many big production movies.

The effects of malaria are readily seen, btw. As opposed to predicted floodings and other dire consequences, with a long history of failed predictions.