JohnRich

Iran actress sentenced to one year in jail

News:
Iran actress sentenced to one year in jail

"Actress Marzieh Vafamehr has been sentenced to a year in jail and 90 lashes for her role in a film about the limits imposed on artists in the Islamic republic...

"The film tells the story of a young actress in Tehran whose theatre work is banned by the authorities. She is then forced to lead a secret life in order to express herself artistically..."
Full story: Breitbart.com

"Actress Marzieh Vafamehr has been sentenced to a year in jail and 90 lashes for her role in a film about the limits imposed on artists in the Islamic republic...

"The film tells the story of a young actress in Tehran whose theatre work is banned by the authorities. She is then forced to lead a secret life in order to express herself artistically..."

John, you know me & I know you. You have real & personal knowledge where I have been & where I haven't been.

My question to you is this...What could you possibly know about their culture???? Different parts of the world have their own cultures. You remind me of Joe McCarthy. Why don't you just leave the things you know nothing about to yourself?????? I appreciate your abilities to get out of the aircraft @ 10K and make an accuracy jump......Hmp......C'Mon Man.
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

John, you know me & I know you. You have real & personal knowledge where I have been & where I haven't been.

My question to you is this...What could you possibly know about their culture???? Different parts of the world have their own cultures. You remind me of Joe McCarthy. Why don't you just leave the things you know nothing about to yourself?????? I appreciate your abilities to get out of the aircraft @ 10K and make an accuracy jump......Hmp......C'Mon Man.

Yeah, John. It's not oppression. It's a simple issue of cultural differences. :S

And there is this guy too...
I like it how they lecture to others about human rights...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/oct/09/iranian-lashed-insult-ahmadinejad

An Iranian student activist has been lashed 74 times for insulting President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

Peyman Aref, a student of political science at Tehran University, was sentenced in March 2010 to a year in jail after being found guilty of propaganda against the regime for speaking to foreign media.

Aref, who was initially arrested in the aftermath of Iran's disputed presidential elections in 2009, was also sentenced to 74 lashes for writing an "insulting" letter to Ahmadinejad and given a lifetime ban on working as a journalist or membership of any political parties.

His jail sentence came to an end on Sunday but, hours before his release from Tehran's notorious Evin prison, Aref was told the lashing would be carried out.

"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."

Oh come on, it's not like they were trying for a seat on the human rights council while sponsoring/committing torture, terrorism, repression, etc.

Oops. My bad. Yeah they were.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Just because we've met before doesn't mean that you "know" me. You don't, and you should quit pretending to. You should also quit pretending to know what I know and what I don't know.

Back on topic.

So I take it you approve of whatever punishment Iran wants to inflict, upon whomever they choose, for whatever reason?

You should also quit pretending to know what I know and what I don't know.

Back on topic.

So I take it you approve of whatever punishment Iran wants to inflict, upon whomever they choose, for whatever reason?

Anybody got a clean rag? I need to wipe off the slimy irony that's dripping down.

"You should also quit pretending to know what I think and what I don't think"
FIFY
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Just because we've met before doesn't mean that you "know" me. You don't, and you should quit pretending to. You should also quit pretending to know what I know and what I don't know.

Back on topic.

The hypocrisy meter flew off the scale.
What outsiders think about the criminal justice system in Texas doesn't seem to bother you one little bit, but you feel entitled to comment on Iran's.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

...and just so you don't have to tell ME what I think, I'll tell you up front.

According to MY culture and upbringing, the action is deplorable.

According to theirs, maybe not...I don't define right or wrong for them.

I understand that you are railing against the action based on YOUR culture and upbringing.

I don't see anything in this thread, or the other related threads that you started, that admits to your recognizing a difference between the two cultures. So be it.

What else should I be thinking?

I don't think it's Iranian culture to beat women to pulp for absolutely no reason at all. I think it's due to the Iranian fundaloon government that bases itself on a particularly.. uhm.. interesting brand of the religion Islam. As I understand it a lot of Iranians loath their own leaders and theocracy.

What outsiders think about the criminal justice system in Texas doesn't seem to bother you one little bit, but you feel entitled to comment on Iran's.

Meh. Don't think I know of any examples in Texas where someone was put in jail for a year for a performance that mocked Governor Parry. And the legal system in Texas certainly offers defendants a better chance than the one seen by the Berkeley hikers in Iran.

Meh. Don't think I know of any examples in Texas where someone was put in jail for a year for a performance that mocked Governor Parry. And the legal system in Texas certainly offers defendants a better chance than the one seen by the Berkeley hikers in Iran.

I fail to see why that is relevant. It's still a Texan who feels entitled to criticize another nation's system while defending his own state's flawed system. Being jailed for a year is better than being railroaded into a death sentence.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I fail to see why that is relevant. It's still a Texan who feels entitled to criticize another nation's system while defending his own state's flawed system. Being jailed for a year is better than being railroaded into a death sentence.

Are you sure you want to compare executions of Texas and Iran? From Wiki:

Notable executions

* January 24, 2011: Iran executed political prisoners Jafar Kazemi and Mohammad Ali Hajaghaei for allegedly taking photos and footage of the Iranian election protests as well as chanting slogans promoting the People's Mujahideen of Iran (PMOI), a banned opposition group.[14]
* January 29, 2011: Iran executed dual Dutch-Iranian citizen Zahra Bahrami on disputed drug trafficking charges. Iranian authorities initially arrested her for her participation in the December 2009 Ashura protests. In protest of her execution, the Dutch foreign ministry decided to freeze all contacts with Iran,[15] and later recalled the ambassador.[16]

History shows wrongful or disputed convictions all over the world. But Texas isn't executing political prisoners just a year past the 'offense.' It still takes 10-20 years for a death sentence to occur, with lots of appeals options.

Irrelevant. It's still hypocrisy for a Texan to criticize Iran's criminal justice system when Texas's is so flawed. JohnRich should start his crusade in his home state.

Good job staying on track and not letting kelpy distract you with BS.

I don't think it's Iranian culture to beat women to pulp for absolutely no reason at all. I think it's due to the Iranian fundaloon government that bases itself on a particularly.. uhm.. interesting brand of the religion Islam.

I'm reluctant to get int a debate on culture vs religion.
My God, the religophobes already have waaaay to many soap boxes on waaaay too many street corners here.

As I understand it a lot of Iranians loath their own leaders and theocracy.

Yes, I would imagine. Quite like any, and probably all, other countries.

Your point is ..... ?

Do you need me to tell you how to think?

Surely not - that's something I know quite well :P
I'm no mind reader, so: Your point to post that link was again what ... ?

You don't have to be a mind reader - just have some basic reading and thinking skills.
Here's a clue for you: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/poll See #5.

Do you have an opinion, or not? If you do, offer it. If not, go away.

Irrelevant. It's still hypocrisy for a Texan to criticize Iran's criminal justice system when Texas's is so flawed. JohnRich should start his crusade in his home state.

Good job staying on track and not letting kelpy distract you with BS.

the topic is Iran. Off track is Texas.

Now a perfect example of BS is the tractorful you shoveled in post #14, saying that we can't criticize another culture for its suppression of speech.

More bullshit is trying to deflect the subject to past failures in the Texas justice process when the subject is about a nation with NO process at all. This is laugh out loud stupid.

the subject is about a nation with NO process at all.

It has a process. The fact that you disagree with it, or that it's not always consistent, or that it's a shitty one, does not mean it's not a process.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

the subject is about a nation with NO process at all.

It has a process. The fact that you disagree with it, or that it's not always consistent, or that it's a shitty one, does not mean it's not a process.

It's not a real process. There's no consistency, no transparency. Something happens in a secret cabal and then you find out the results and your punishment.