brenthutch

War criminal Obama murders American citizen

I wonder what happened to all the high-minded rhetoric about how we need to arrest terrorists on the battlefield, read them their rights and then bring them back to the U.S for trial?

They served an arrest warrant - taped to a Hellfire missile.

I wonder what happened to all the high-minded rhetoric about how we need to arrest terrorists on the battlefield, read them their rights and then bring them back to the U.S for trial?

I don't have a problem with that. I've always advocated getting rid of this scum by whatever means posible. I'm just waiting for those who supported the Democrats and specifically Obama, Kerry and the like who claimed the terrorists should be treated as criminals, read their Constitutional Rights on the battlefield and brought to trial in the U.S. with full American rights of citizenship. These same people also opposed Military Tribunals.

The silence is deafening.

I don't have a problem with that. I've always advocated getting rid of this scum by whatever means posible. I'm just waiting for those who supported the Democrats and specifically Obama, Kerry and the like who claimed the terrorists should be treated as criminals, read their Constitutional Rights on the battlefield and brought to trial in the U.S. with full American rights of citizenship. These same people also opposed Military Tribunals.

Who said that? Kerry kept saying we need to "kill Al Quaeda members."
I thought we all were on the same page with this issue.

Of course, the current administration could have taken the previous administration's strategy by invading a totally different country.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Most clear thinking citizens wanted a trial, or at least formal charges for the imprisoned Gitmo detainees arrested under GWB.

Ron Paul apologized today and condemed the actions. I thought as Americans, we weren't supposed to apologize for anything.

Obama is doing more to stop the terror masterminds than Bush/Cheney ever dreamed of.

It might not get him re elected, but it isn't going to hurt his chances.

And I'm sure a lot of the bad guys are looking nervously up to the sky these days.

Most clear thinking citizens wanted a trial, or at least formal charges for the imprisoned Gitmo detainees arrested under GWB.

Ron Paul apologized today and condemed the actions. I thought as Americans, we weren't supposed to apologize for anything.

Obama is doing more to stop the terror masterminds than Bush/Cheney ever dreamed of.

It might not get him re elected, but it isn't going to hurt his chances.

And I'm sure a lot of the bad guys are looking nervously up to the sky these days.

So are you a clear thinking citizen or an Obama supporter?

Anyway, Awlaki isn't a US citizen. Where is the birth certificate???

The LONG form!

It's with Obama's. :P
Well, they both have funny-sounding names. People with foreign, funny names can't be US citizens, as we all know.
Speed Racer

I'm going to go with "It never existed."

At least, not in any way that could be used in opposition to an action of this kind.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I'm just waiting for those who supported the Democrats and specifically Obama, Kerry and the like who claimed the terrorists should be treated as criminals, read their Constitutional Rights on the battlefield and brought to trial in the U.S. with full American rights of citizenship. These same people also opposed Military Tribunals.

You appear to be confused about the difference between a person you have already captured and a person who is still at large and actively fighting.

Right, because you're waiting for made up people to comment on a made up issue.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

What, specifically, qualifies an action as "terrorism" and justifies suspending someone's constitutional rights? I can appreciate that there might occasionally be extreme situations--and 9/11 may qualify--where a President's duty to defend the American people might trump other constitutional requirements.

The problem is that there is a slippery slope where far less serious crimes are being seen as justification for suspending constitutional rights. I can see that in the immediate aftermath of 9/11, it may have been difficult to justify full constitutional rights for the terrorists. I have a harder time justifying suspending the constitution over, say, the attempted Dec 25 bombing--a far less serious terrorist attack.

Yes a lot of US citizens died on 9/11. A lot of US citizens died at Jonestown, too--and we didn't suspend freedom of religion as a result of it.

America's immediate reaction to 9/11 was understandable. America's failure to bounce back from adversity like we've done in the case of past crises is quite disappointing. It's been 10 years without a significant terrorist attack on American soil. It is time to move on from the immediate post-9/11 mentality.

The world is a dangerous place, but I simply cannot see anything whatsoever that would justify groping Grandma at the metal detector just because some powerless angry old man in Yemen or Pakistan happens to be pissed off at America.
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

@sivaganesha:

There's pretty good evidence tha Awlaki was a serious threat. Just because his last couple of attmpted attacks were foiled doesn'tt mean he was harmless.

And as for the 10 years without an attack on the USA: during those ten years there were many attempted attacks on the US, but they were stopped in time.
Speed Racer

Didn't you get the memo? Everyone knows that Democrats hate America and want the terrorists to win.

The terrorists have lost. There hasn't been a significant terrorist attack on American soil in over 10 years.

However, until we are ready to declare victory and move on, we aren't going to reap any benefits from our success in this matter. This is not to say that we roll back all improvements in national security that we've made in the past 10 years. But it is to say that we need to move beyond the immediate post-9/11 crisis atmosphere. There are higher priorities today.
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

And as for the 10 years without an attack on the USA: during those ten years there were many attempted attacks on the US, but they were stopped in time.

The national murder rate remains at about 15,000 people per year, although it has been dropping in recent years. That's about five 9/11's per year from Americans carrying out individual acts of terrorism against each other domestically. Why do we tolerate this but give so much attention to foreign terrorists who haven't pulled off an attack in 10 years? Isn't it time we pulled some resources away from these far flung battles and put it towards fighting crime domestically?

The national murder rate remains at about 15,000 people per year, although it has been dropping in recent years. That's about five 9/11's per year from Americans carrying out individual acts of terrorism against each other domestically. Why do we tolerate this but give so much attention to foreign terrorists who haven't pulled off an attack in 10 years? Isn't it time we pulled some resources away from these far flung battles and put it towards fighting crime domestically?

- Why do you see these as mutually exclusive things? Can't we do both?
- Individual murders are not "terrorism".
- We don't "tolerate" murder.
- Murder and violent crime are at a 30-year low.
- Are you suggesting posting soldiers in our streets for crime fighting?

- Why do you see these as mutually exclusive things? Can't we do both?
- Individual murders are not "terrorism".
- We don't "tolerate" murder.
- Murder and violent crime are at a 30-year low.
- Are you suggesting posting soldiers in our streets for crime fighting?

I'm mainly trying to define at what point something becomes "terrorism" and extraordinary action becomes justified. For example, why does the attempted Dec 25 bombing qualify as "terrorism" whereas a guy who shoots up a convenience store in Arkansas is "not terrorism". We seem to devote extraordinary resources--on a lot of levels--based on the label "terrorism" so I'm asking what, specifically, justifies such a label being used.