normiss

Awesome things "god" does.

>>I have no desire to inflict you or anyone else with my belief.

>It's just unfortunate that some of us reading the printed word don't realize they have
>the option of NOT reading it.

Damn it, I do NOT want to inflict my belief on anyone! And I will post that over and over until people believe it!

I have no desire to inflict you or anyone else with my belief...

...someone reading my testimony may profit from it and that is why I share.

Casual Observer #1 - What's that I smell?

Casual Observer #2 - Smells like a contradiction.

Casual Observer #1 - They do tend to have a pungent odor about them. Do they not?

Casual Observer #2 - Yes they do and all the more to recognize them in the crowd!
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

Damn it, I do NOT want to inflict my belief on anyone! And I will post that over and over until people believe it!

It is comically obvious that the goal here on SC is not in inflict belief but to seek and destroy anything that is not understood. Those who fail to grasp the meaning of life will be damned if they sit idly by and let anyone else present evidence outside the holy grail of contemporary scientific thought to the contrary. They ignore the gaping holes the scientific method will never solve. But instead present their gospel of meaningless and futility as the answer to mans aspirations.

It is comically obvious that the goal here on SC is not in inflict belief but to seek and destroy anything that is not understood. Those who fail to grasp the meaning of life will be damned if they sit idly by and let anyone else present evidence outside the holy grail of contemporary scientific thought to the contrary. They ignore the gaping holes the scientific method will never solve. But instead present their gospel of meaningless and futility as the answer to mans aspirations.

I don't think you will find one person here who does not support your right to believe anything you want. You will find opposition when you want to control the lives of people based on your bronze age superstitions.

You will find opposition when you want to control the lives of people based on your bronze age superstitions.

OMG Theocracy!!!!111!!!!

Oh, wait...that got blown away in the other thread.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I don't think you will find one person here who does not support your right to believe anything you want. You will find opposition when you want to control the lives of people based on your bronze age superstitions.

As commonly seen with the seek and destroy method. Counter with misinformation since there is no comprehension of what point is even being refuted.

First off, iron was the metal of choice during the axial age. God's love was the timeless message, that was and is the answer to the problems we face in our daily lives and the world.

God's love was the timeless message, that was and is the answer to the problems we face in our daily lives and the world.

It's all about the love!

Kill Your Neighbors
(Moses) stood at the entrance to the camp and shouted, "All of you who are on the LORD's side, come over here and join me." And all the Levites came. He told them, "This is what the LORD, the God of Israel, says: Strap on your swords! Go back and forth from one end of the camp to the other, killing even your brothers, friends, and neighbors." The Levites obeyed Moses, and about three thousand people died that day. Then Moses told the Levites, "Today you have been ordained for the service of the LORD, for you obeyed him even though it meant killing your own sons and brothers. Because of this, he will now give you a great blessing." (Exodus 32:26-29 NLT)

Kill All of Babylon
"Go up, my warriors, against the land of Merathaim and against the people of Pekod. Yes, march against Babylon, the land of rebels, a land that I will judge! Pursue, kill, and completely destroy them, as I have commanded you," says the LORD. "Let the battle cry be heard in the land, a shout of great destruction". (Jeremiah 50:21-22 NLT)

God Promises More Killing
I will make Mount Seir utterly desolate, killing off all who try to escape and any who return. I will fill your mountains with the dead. Your hills, your valleys, and your streams will be filled with people slaughtered by the sword. I will make you desolate forever. Your cities will never be rebuilt. Then you will know that I am the LORD. (Ezekiel 35:7-9 NLT)

More Rape and Baby Killing
Anyone who is captured will be run through with a sword. Their little children will be dashed to death right before their eyes. Their homes will be sacked and their wives raped by the attacking hordes. For I will stir up the Medes against Babylon, and no amount of silver or gold will buy them off. The attacking armies will shoot down the young people with arrows. They will have no mercy on helpless babies and will show no compassion for the children. (Isaiah 13:15-18 NLT)

As long as there is a wedding
If a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged, he must pay fifty pieces of silver to her father. Then he must marry the young woman because he violated her, and he will never be allowed to divorce her. (Deuteronomy 22:28-29 NLT)

David's Punishment - Polygamy, Rape, Baby Killing, and God's "Forgiveness"
Thus says the Lord: 'I will bring evil upon you out of your own house. I will take your wives [plural] while you live to see it, and will give them to your neighbor. He shall lie with your wives in broad daylight. You have done this deed in secret, but I will bring it about in the presence of all Israel, and with the sun looking down.'

Then David said to Nathan, "I have sinned against the Lord." Nathan answered David: "The Lord on his part has forgiven your sin: you shall not die. But since you have utterly spurned the Lord by this deed, the child born to you must surely die." [The child dies seven days later.] (2 Samuel 12:11-14 NAB)

Yup, all from the book of love. And that does not even come close to what is in the book of "How to Live a Moral Life, Lest Thee be Smited."

"Our Bible reveals to us the character of our god with minute and remorseless exactness... It is perhaps the most damnatory biography that exists in print anywhere. It makes Nero an angel of light and leading by contrast" Reflections on Religion, 1906 Samuel Clemens
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

>Those who fail to grasp the meaning of life will be damned if they sit idly by and let
>anyone else present evidence outside the holy grail of contemporary scientific thought
>to the contrary.

And those who do not grasp science will often do anything they can to ensure they continue not understanding it. After all, it's hard!

As commonly seen with the seek and destroy method. Counter with misinformation since there is no comprehension of what point is even being refuted.

First off, iron was the metal of choice during the axial age. God's love was the timeless message, that was and is the answer to the problems we face in our daily lives and the world.

Bronze was the metal of choice when Torah was written. The rest are but addenda, authorized and unauthorized ("Scarlett" does not qualify as a sequel to "Gone With The Wind," much though it may be billed as such).

Your contentions are but a string of empty buzzwords, a blank slate upon which one can picture their own version (you know, "Hope, Change," that kind of thing...). This is wise, since any claims with a hint of meaning fall apart upon the most casual scrutiny.

Good luck.

BSBD,

Winsor

So when anyone challenges your beliefs they are on "seek and destroy" mission and they just don't understand!

The problem is that you have no actual evidence to support your beliefs in your deity. You claim your god exists yet can't provide any evidence other then anecdotal to back it up. With out evidence it's not reasonable to believe in any deity.

You will find opposition when you want to control the lives of people based on your bronze age superstitions.

OMG Theocracy!!!!111!!!!

Oh, wait...that got blown away in the other thread.

What pisses us off, is when a Real American Atheist hero, who gives up fame and fortune for his country, is treated like this by his government.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qP4h4WwX0NI

Not to worry.

In the same sense that the if precept that existence as observed is deemed too complex to be likely, the supposition that an undetectable causal agent - by necessity many orders of magnitude more complex - exists is beyond absurd, any assault on the attempt at comprehension does nothing to bolster ignorance as a viable alternative.

Except, of course, to those who are ardently committed to ignorance.

BSBD,

Winsor

Well, isn't time stamp 1:37 the pot calling the kettle black!;)

And to quote someone smarter than me, with specific knowledge in this field, that already answered your stance stated in the video

GeorgiaDon

In Reply To
...however, that is also a net loss of meaningful information. Survivability and specialization does not equate to increase in complexity.

Although you are not copying and pasting from AIG, it's clear you're getting your misinformation from there. Although the AIG folks have had their many many errors pointed out on numerous occasions they never ever correct those errors, likely because to do so would undermine their campaign to spread misinformation so as to support their magical view of the world.

Specifically, one of the biggest bits of misinformation they intentionally spread, and which you clearly have been deceived into believing, is that there is no evolutionary mechanism for increasing the genetic information/complexity available to an organism. If you were to actually take the time to open any current text on genetics or molecular biology, you would find that several mechanisms that lead to an increase in genome size are extremely well documented. A short (and incomplete) list includes gene duplication, transposon-mediated capture and duplication of segments of the genome, chromosome duplication, duplication of the whole genome leading to increases in ploidy, and endosymbiosis (permanent capture of another cell type, initially as a symbiont and over time developing into an organelle). Most of these occur because the process for replicating chromosomes, and then splitting them up during mitosis/meiosis, does not always occur with 100% fidelity, so sometimes a daughter cell or gamete will end up with extra copies of a chromosome or even a complete set of chromosomes. It seems odd that, if we were "designed" by an omnipotent deity, that design would be for a flawed genetic system that rather frequently makes mistakes.

It is clear that all eukaryotic organisms (those whose cells have a nucleus) have descended from a endosymbiotic event where a larger cell captured a smaller one, probably by phagocytosis (the process of engulfing cells, usually resulting in the internalized cell being killed and digested). We know this because all eukaryotic cells have mitochondria, which carry on the energy-releasing process of oxidation of glucose and storing that energy in ATP. Mitchondria have a double membrane around them, the outer membrane resulting from the vacuole the original larger cell produced around the phagocytized smaller cell, and the inner membrane resulting from the original cell membrane of the smaller engulfed cell. Mitochondria even retain their own DNA, which is circular (as in present day prokaryotes) and retains a codon bias typical of prokaryotes. Plant chloroplasts resulted from a similar process, and chloroplasts have a double membrane and their own DNA (which retains genes with a codon bias typical of present-day blue-green algae).

Plasmodium, the "protozoan" that causes malaria, has organelles that have up to four sets of membranes around them, indication they are the product of multiple rounds of endosymbiosis. Some of the most promising of the new antimalarial drugs were initially developed as herbicides; they work on Plasmodium because certain organelles originated from plant (algae) cells, and they still retain the ability to produce enzymes that drive biosynthetic pathways typical of plants. These biosynthetic pathways are absent in animals, fungi, and other types of organisms, but we need the products of these pathways as essential nutrients so we have to get them by eating plants (or animals that had themselves eaten plants). The ancestor of Plasmodium that first "captured" a blue-green alga no longer was dependent on eating plants to get those nutrients. This is just one of many thousands of examples I could give where evolutionary processes resulted in both an increase in complexity and a fitness advantage.

You are, of course, entitled to your religious faith. I would suggest, though, that your faith may not be on the strongest ground if you need to ignore (or in the case of AIG misstate to the point where one might call it lying) all the results of hundreds of years of objective research in biology, paleontology, geology, astronomy, etc to make your case.

Don

:P
What you say is reflective of your knowledge...HOW ya say it is reflective of your experience. Airtwardo

Someone's going to be spanked! Hopefully, it will be me. Skymama

>You do realise that is all lies, right?

But it has funny cartoons! Didn't you see the little cell with the eyeball?

That is true, it did have that going for it. Everyone knows that animated disembodied eyeballs are cute as hell:)

In surprising contrast to real disembodied eyeballs...
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Meh...some get it, some don't.

Seems like that "I'm-right-You're-wrong -itis" is contagious.

Paraphrasing Kallend's favorite line:
Reading comprehension problems, eh?
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

those who do not grasp science will often do anything they can to ensure they continue not understanding it. After all, it's hard!

Not much...except for thermodynamics. For some reason that kicked my ass and made me actually sit down and study.

[:/]
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239