normiss

Awesome things "god" does.

And, OTOH, the non-believers have done the same. They have demonstrated that exact same flawed and incorrect knowledge of science by asking science to prove or disprove the existence of God - blatant mis-use of science.

In ancient Norse mythology there was a God named Thor. According to the religion at the time, he was responsible for lightning and thunder.

In ancient Greek mythology there was a God named Zeus. According to the religion at the time, he was responsible for lightning and thunder.

In ancient Rome mythology there was a God named Jupiter. According to the religion at the time, he was responsible for lightning and thunder.

Among the US Founding Fathers was a man named Ben Franklin. He experimented with electricity and his experiments showed lightning was simply electricity. Franklin was not the first. Across the sea and in France was Thomas-François Dalibard and in Russia, Georg Richmann. All three men tested each other's experiments and came to the same conclusion. That's a big part of how science works.

In the end, they didn't prove God didn't exist, but simply that Thor, Zeus and Jupiter weren't required for the creation of lightning and thunder.

The exact same thing can be said today. Science doesn't disprove God, but there is simply no reason for God to exist in the physical world. He becomes useful as a metaphor, but the idea he's required to create the universe is not supported by science.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I don't have to prove that a supernatural invisible being doesn't exist.

Nope, you don't have to. However, YOU have elected to waive that option. You have elected to file a grievance against believers. YOU, as the plaintiff, are claiming that he doesn't exist AND demanding scientific "evidence" from the defendant. No defendant is required to testify either for or against himself. With no proof to support you claim, there's no court in the country that would hear your case.

Bullshit.

Indeed, it's the non-believers who try to put that burden on them when, indeed, it's not necessary, not required nor even relevant.

If the religious have no need to prove their beliefs with logic, and if it's purely personal and nothing more. Then they should refrain from arguing with Atheists who suggest God doesn't exist, it takes two to have a debate.

Man! Ain't THAT the truth.

If they want to sit back and live their life being religious that's fine.

Simple as that isn't it.
What we're seeing here is vitriolic people failing to understand that. What we are seeing here is egoism at it's worst - "My belief is better than your belief. I'm right, you're wrong!" And it's most vitriolic from the non-believers. It's almost like they can't sleep at night until they sway someone to their way of thinking.

But then they shouldn't come into threads about the existence of God and try debate when all they have in their arsenal is "I believe it to be so, I have faith".

If they didn't non-believers wouldn't have anyone to bash!
:D:D
Seriously though, I'm with you on that sorta. There is no debate going on here. It's simply argument. It's rarely a good idea to argue with anyone about anything.

Except you've had a whole bunch of people try to make their God's existence seem more realistic by trying to cater to the scientific minded, albeit with flawed and incorrect knowledge of science.

Ummmm....yes and no, as I read the posts.

Yes, some have done just that and as we know, that just doesn't work. So, do you bash them because of the beliefs or do you bash them for the mis-use of science? That answer is obvious, right? You talk about their mis-use of science.

And, OTOH, the non-believers have done the same. They have demonstrated that exact same flawed and incorrect knowledge of science by asking science to prove or disprove the existence of God - blatant mis-use of science. How can anyone reasonably ask science to do something it cannot do and then use that as support of his argument? Unbelievable....no puns intended.

Again, pure unadulterated bullshit.

Science doesn't disprove God, but there is simply no reason for God to exist in the physical world. .....the idea he's required to create the universe is not supported by science.

Rats! I thought you had it there for a second but you reverted back to the idea of interjecting science into a religious argument.

But, you are right in the big picture. Science doesn't support the idea that's He's required to create the universe....because it can't. It can neither support it nor can it deny it.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

>Yes, some have done just that and as we know, that just doesn't work. So, do you
>bash them because of the beliefs or do you bash them for the mis-use of science? That
>answer is obvious, right? You talk about their mis-use of science.

Provided they can separate the two, yes.

>And, OTOH, the non-believers have done the same. They have demonstrated that
>exact same flawed and incorrect knowledge of science by asking science to prove or
>disprove the existence of God - blatant mis-use of science. How can anyone
>reasonably ask science to do something it cannot do and then use that as support of
>his argument?

Also agreed. Science can indeed disprove many claims made by religions - woman created from man's rib, the Deluge, the inferiority of some races etc etc. But that doesn't work to disprove the more intangible aspects of religion (i.e. a personal relationship with God, a belief in a certain morality.)

Also agreed. Science can indeed disprove many claims made by religions - woman created from man's rib, the Deluge, the inferiority of some races etc etc. But that doesn't work to disprove the more intangible aspects of religion (i.e. a personal relationship with God, a belief in a certain morality.)

Exactly!
WooooHoooo!

...and it doesn't prove, nor does it disprove, the very basis of most religions...the existence of a (or the) spiritual deity.

Now, if you want to use science to prove the existence of peyote, you'd have no problem.
:D:D

Indeed, it's the non-believers who try to put that burden on them when, indeed, it's not necessary, not required nor even relevant.

---------------------
Religious have no need to prove their beliefs with logic, and if it's purely personal and nothing more. Then they should refrain from arguing with Atheists who suggest God doesn't exist, it takes two to have a debate.

------------------------------------------------------------

Simple as that isn't it.
What we're seeing here is vitriolic people failing to understand that. What we are seeing here is egoism at it's worst - "My belief is better than your belief. I'm right, you're wrong!" And it's most vitriolic from the non-believers. It's almost like they can't sleep at night until they sway someone to their way of thinking.
-------------------------------------------------------
But then they shouldn't come into threads about the existence of God and try debate when all they have in their arsenal is "I believe it to be so, I have faith".

------------------------------------------------------------t non-believers wouldn't have anyone to bash!

Seriously though, I'm with you on that sorta. There is no debate going on here. It's simply argument. It's rarely a good idea to argue with anyone about anything.

Except you've had a whole bunch of people try to make their God's existence seem more realistic by trying to cater to the scientific minded, albeit with flawed and incorrect knowledge of science.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, some have done just that and as we know, that just doesn't work. So, do you bash them because of the beliefs or do you bash them for the mis-use of science? That answer is obvious, right? You talk about their mis-use of science.

And, OTOH, the non-believers have done the same. They have demonstrated that exact same flawed and incorrect knowledge of science by asking science to prove or disprove the existence of God - blatant mis-use of science. How can anyone reasonably ask science to do something it cannot do and then use that as support of his argument? Unbelievable....no puns intended.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Damn good post Andy.

---------------------
Religious have no need to prove their beliefs with logic, and if it's purely personal and nothing more. Then they should refrain from arguing with Atheists who suggest God doesn't exist, it takes two to have a debate.

------------------------------------------------------------

Simple as that isn't it.

------------------------------------------------------------t non-believers wouldn't have anyone to bash!

Damn good post Andy.

Amen!
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Damn good post Andy.

Amen!

The only people in this thread asking for science to disprove the existence of god have been believers.

(It remains a mystery which particular god they refer to, given a cast of thousands of candidates).

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Amen!

The only people in this thread asking for science to disprove the existence of god have been believers.

(It remains a mystery which particular god they refer to, given a cast of thousands of candidates).

The only proof that I am aware of is the born again experience. And, that can only be manifested through surrender of the ego to Christ by an act of personal will.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Cough - Bullshit- Cough

sorry I could not resist.

Great that you have had such an amazing personal experience. Keep it personal please, 'cause many of us, perhaps even most of us, aren't buying it.

My amazing personal experiences have come from a good upbringing and support by my parents, a decent education, hard work, and some goals - a little bit of luck here and there, but mostly through my own insight, my own drive, my own goals, and my own ACTIONS to achieve those goals.

Cough - Bullshit- Cough

sorry I could not resist.

Great that you have had such an amazing personal experience. Keep it personal please, 'cause many of us, perhaps even most of us, aren't buying it.

My amazing personal experiences have come from a good upbringing and support by my parents, a decent education, hard work, and some goals - a little bit of luck here and there, but mostly through my own insight, my own drive, my own goals, and my own ACTIONS to achieve those goals.

They assume that because "God" is not included in the equation, it is proof that science is determine to prove that "God" does not exist.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

Amen!

The only proof that I am aware of is the born again experience. And, that can only be manifested through surrender of the ego to Christ by an act of personal will.

About as convincing as someone who ate a handful of Sunshine and came to all kinds of pithy realizations.

About as convincing as someone who ate a handful of Sunshine and came to all kinds of pithy realizations.

The difference is Orange Sunshine wears off. My trip has been going and growing for 30 years.

Well, I'll be damned. I didn't know that! Who would have thought the plaintiff would shoot down his own case.
*insert rolling eyes icon here*

Probably the one they believe in? I'm just guessing here.
*insert another rolling eyes icon here*

You forgot mention a severe case of "I'm-right-You're-wrong -itis"

The difference is Orange Sunshine wears off. My trip has been going and growing for 30 years.

I know people who did one too many hit and the change did not wear off.

I probably would not mind as much if people made their invisible friends a big secret. Like someone's sexuality, I really don't want to hear about it.

Similar to sexuality, I draw the line when people group together as a political entity. Whether it's the Prots vs. the Cat'lics, Sunnis vs. Shiites, LGBT vs. NAMBLA or whatever, once you stand up and state "we are a distinct entity and insist upon being treated as such!" you really can't bitch if people choose to do just that. Be careful what you ask for and so forth.

Research with which I am familiar goes into detail regarding why eyewitness accounts are so often massively inaccurate, and "belief" is a red flag.

I have been convinced of things where it turned out that I was mistaken, and I give you the same credit.

If you want to believe, fine. If you wish to inflict your beliefs on me, not so good. I have had all too many well-intentioned people seek to do so, and I have a zero-tolerance policy for such behavior.

BSBD,

Winsor