SpeedRacer

Why are there gay rodeos?

I saw a King of the Hill episode about a gay rodeo, and then found out there are a bunch of them. Why? I understand gay dance clubs, because of the romantic implications of partner dancing, but why rodeos? When you watch a rodeo, or any other sport event, who cares about the contestant's private life?
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

>I saw a King of the Hill episode about a gay rodeo, and then found out there are a
>bunch of them. Why?

I'm guessing the same reason there are women's sporting events, or gay bigways in skydiving.

How does that even remotely answer the question:D:D.

Me, I don’t know, maybe they feel that on the main circuit, they as riders etc.. cant be themselves.
The macho image of the rodeo scene may not be very Gay friendly, fear of harassment or vilification might be a contributing factor.

But never been to one, they're not that common here so don’t really have a answer.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Buggered if I know.

I know, right...How can they ever be considered normal when then constantly parade their abnormality?

Most people don't even give a shit anymore...they just make it an issue.

Go fuck a rock for all I care.
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

>I saw a King of the Hill episode about a gay rodeo, and then found out there are a
>bunch of them. Why?

I'm guessing the same reason there are women's sporting events, or gay bigways in skydiving.

Perhaps, but I am concerned by groups who simultaneously seek "recognition" and "equality."

Recognition entails acceptance as a distinct entity. Whether it is Sharks/Jets, WW II Vets, Left-Handed People or whatever, setting a group up as a bloc is a double-edged sword. If you seek to be treated as a distinct entity, that may well be the result.

Equality is also a double-edged sword. There have been many places where I have been grateful that my rights were not on a par with the locals. Solidarity is nice in theory, but when they break out the rubber hoses (or worse) my participation is on the order of Get Well cards.

Drawing lines of demarcation should be done with care. If you create a bloc, to a greater or lesser extent you justify the attendant stereotyping of its members.

In addition, if a group sets itself up as a distinct entity, its goals will be considered against those of nonmembers of said group.

Thus, if you set yourself out as different, expect to be treated as such.

BSBD,

Winsor

I saw a King of the Hill episode about a gay rodeo, and then found out there are a bunch of them. Why? I understand gay dance clubs, because of the romantic implications of partner dancing, but why rodeos? When you watch a rodeo, or any other sport event, who cares about the contestant's private life?

I guess the politically incorrect answer would be that they like to feel something big pounding against their ass......:ph34r:

More to the point though, it's like minded people gathering around a common interest. Who cares really?

Pretty much any difference you can find in people, they will separate into that group and find something to do as a common interest. Weather its men, women, black, white, Hispanic, green, tall, short, straight, or gay you will find people will generally try to form a group of others just like them and then go find a common interest.

They are just trying to find a comfort zone to meet other people. Nothing wrong with it as long as they don't hide from the rest of the world in their little group.

When people do, that's what leads to fear, bigotry and hate.
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

I just don't see how one's personal sex life should affect the activities involved in sporting events. Women's sport leagues might be explained by physiological differences between men and women, but gay vs straight shouldn't matter. It would be like having a seperate gay stamp collecting or homebrewing club.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

It would be like having a seperate gay stamp collecting or homebrewing club.

I'm sure those groups exist as well.

It's not rocket science to me. Gays have been "unwelcome" in this society for a very, very long time. Are you really that surprised to find out that we've formed parallel sub-groups and sub-cultures? Now that society is (only very recently, relatively speaking) becoming a bit more understanding do you expect all the sub-culture to evaporate over night?

Gays haven't, with a few exceptions, formed "gay home brewing" groups to single themselves out or highlight their differences. Gays have been living in a different world for a long time and the natural things people do, like form home brewing groups, happen withing that microcosm just like they happen in the hetero world.

Now that society is a bit more forgiving, some of the gay groups that have been around forever are kind of "coming out" of hiding and saying "Oh, Hey!" We're the gay home brewing group!!!

And then someone says WTF, why do you have to set yourselves up in your stupid gay home brewing club? Why do you have to be "special"? Gee-zuz christ. :S
Owned by Remi #?

I understand gay dance clubs, because of the romantic implications of partner dancing, but why rodeos? When you watch a rodeo, or any other sport event, who cares about the contestant's private life?

Well, not everyone likes to go dancing. I'd assume that gay rodeos = gay competitors and spectators = increased potential for romantic implications. Add to that the spectacle of tough guys in cowboy gear astride wildly bucking animals... sorry, where was the mystery again? ;)

I understand that you're saying there shouldn't be a distinction, but we all do this all the time - it's fun to spend time with your peers, in every sense of the word.

Probably, for the same reason there are 'straight' rodeos... the money! Have you ever checked-out the winnings in PBR or PRCA? It ain't chump change!
Then too, it might be they don't feel they would be accepted in the 'straight' rodeo world. Who knows. They're having fun and not hurting anyone... except for the occasional getting stomped on by a bull!

Chuck

Why not object to the Christian Rodeos as well?

Why not object to the Christian Rodeos as well?

Christian Rodeos?! Ewwwww...