JohnRich

Guns, guns and more guns

From the National Shooting Sports Foundation:
NICS Background Checks Up 11.4 Percent

"The May 2011 NSSF-adjusted National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) figure of 696,947 is an increase of 11.4 percent over the NSSF-adjusted NICS figure of 625,763 in May 2010. For comparison, the unadjusted May 2011 NICS figure of 1,219,872 is an increase of 20.8 percent over the unadjusted NICS figure of 1,009,818 in May 2010. This marks the 12th straight month-over-month increase in NSSF-adjusted NICS figures..."
Full story: http://www.nssf.org/bulletpoints/links/060611.cfm

Here's some explanation for you:

NICS is the national criminal background check system used by gun dealers for every gun purchase. And the NSSF adjusts these figures to factor out some NICS checks which are done that do not represent guns sold. So the number of NICS checks that remains, represents the best estimate of the number of guns sold at retail in America, as shown in this graph. As you can see from the chart, gun sales have been rising steadily since 2003.

From the National Shooting Sports Foundation:

NICS Background Checks Up 11.4 Percent

"The May 2011 NSSF-adjusted National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) figure of 696,947 is an increase of 11.4 percent over the NSSF-adjusted NICS figure of 625,763 in May 2010. For comparison, the unadjusted May 2011 NICS figure of 1,219,872 is an increase of 20.8 percent over the unadjusted NICS figure of 1,009,818 in May 2010. This marks the 12th straight month-over-month increase in NSSF-adjusted NICS figures..."
Full story: http://www.nssf.org/bulletpoints/links/060611.cfm

Here's some explanation for you:

NICS is the national criminal background check system used by gun dealers for every gun purchase. And the NSSF adjusts these figures to factor out some NICS checks which are done that do not represent guns sold. So the number of NICS checks that remains, represents the best estimate of the number of guns sold at retail in America, as shown in this graph. As you can see from the chart, gun sales have been rising steadily since 2003.

John... dear... that chart is not a steady rise... you sure you can still use them open sights at 1000 yards;)

John... dear... that chart is not a steady rise... you sure you can still use them open sights at 1000 yards;)

Understand that just prior to Obama taking office the gun sellers artificially drove up demand for guns with rumors that Obama's #1 priority was to take them all away. Some folks went out and spent a considerable amount of money on guns, so naturally in the months that followed there'd be a dip.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Understand that just prior to Obama taking office the gun sellers artificially drove up demand for guns with rumors that Obama's #1 priority was to take them all away. Some folks went out and spent a considerable amount of money on guns, so naturally in the months that followed there'd be a dip.

yes, I think you can still treat 2005->2011 as a steady rise. I'm a bit surprised to see it so linear, to be honest. It's always a bit suspicious to see such orderly data. My reaction in such is to examine source for bias or misrepresentation and verify data elements where possible.

You also have to be on the lookout for any states that might have recently passed changes in laws drives NICS checks - like no more private sales, or the gun a month nuisance laws. But that would generally result in an abrupt bump, like the 2009 one generally attributed to fear of the new Administration.

I find it interesting that they are only showing the data for a single month (May) on a year-by-year basis. Why not show data that covers the whole year? Am I missing something about the significance of May?

- Dan G

:( I am a bit dissapointed... I thought we would see pictures of your collection :(

Here ya' go - see the attached image for a sneak preview. That's just the rifles, and doesn't show the handguns. One rifle is missing from the racks, as I shot it this weekend and haven't cleaned it yet.

I find it interesting that they are only showing the data for a single month (May) on a year-by-year basis. Why not show data that covers the whole year? Am I missing something about the significance of May?

Yeah, it's confusing.

May is just the most recent monthly statistics available, so they seem to be comparing that month every year to eliminated any seasonal differences that might arise with other months, like hunting seasons. I think this is just their way of making an equal comparison from year to year, starting with the most recent last month.

Everything you ever wanted to know about NICS:
http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nics/reports/2010-operations-report/2010-operations-report-pdf

Total NICS checks for the year 2010 were 14 million! All those guns in circulation, and yet, despite the claims of the anti-gun folks that "more guns equals more crime", in fact, violent crime is at a 40-year low.

Here ya' go - see the attached image for a sneak preview. That's just the rifles, and doesn't show the handguns. One rifle is missing from the racks, as I shot it this weekend and haven't cleaned it yet.

Wow that's a lot of guns. You really are overcompensating for something....

http://www.theonion.com/articles/homoerotic-overtones-enliven-nra-meeting,1662/
Coreece: "You sound like some skinheads I know, but your prejudice is with Christians, not niggers..."

It's June 6th. May was last month.

Real estate sales are also traditionally reported on a monthly basis, year over year.

then you are completely irrational and illogical.

But I thought this was something known!
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

On a side note;

I went to the M1 for Vets fund raiser at the Impact Training center in IL last week end.

I had my finished, but yet to be zeroed AA 6.5 grendel with me.
(I have a Vortex Viper 2.5 x 10 PST optic on it)

I got help from a Marine sniper school instructor zeroing my rifle and got a few shooting tips

Got my rifle now zeroed at 300 yards and I am looking forward to taking it out to 800 yards and see what I can do

Gotta say thanks to Blake

What a great week end
What a great cause

http://www.m1forvets.com/

http://www.impacttrainingcenter.co/
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

If you think that I buy guns to compensate for a small dick

Yes, yes I do think that.

Unsurprising.

which... kidwicked's response, or the complete and total lack of action by a mod since these repeated PA's are against one of the more conservative members of this forum??
--
Rob

If you think that I buy guns to compensate for a small dick

Yes, yes I do think that.

Unsurprising.

which... kidwicked's response, or the complete and total lack of action by a mod since these repeated PA's are against one of the more conservative members of this forum??

Both.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

It's okay with me - he only makes one person look bad with his childish penis-obsession, and that's himself.

It's okay with me - he only makes one person look bad with his childish penis-obsession, and that's himself.

Well you could post it John....

Just sayin:)