stevebabin

All in the name of god.

Steve, I know where you're coming from. You're solution has been tried though. It was called the
Age of Enlightenment. Reason and critical thinking are not going to set us free as a species from abusing one another, because our root problem is not a thinking one, but a selfish one. As a people, we put our wants and needs above others, and we feel threatened by what we don't understand. Plain and simple: scared or selfish. This has been the human race for around 30000 years, and it will continue. Does that mean that in every instance we should just give in? Of course not, but that starts at home. You popping in here and attacking and belittling the "religious fuckwits" is perpetuating the very attitudes and systems that you rail against. It is very possible to be religiously unreligious. ;)

What you say is reflective of your knowledge...HOW ya say it is reflective of your experience. Airtwardo

Someone's going to be spanked! Hopefully, it will be me. Skymama

edit to remark on selective breeding among certain members of society - you decide which

You're not hinting at Eugenics here are you?

That would be a very slippery slope and we have no right to decide who can and who can not have kids (Close genetic relations aside).

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Is anybody besides a handful of inbred jerks paying any serious attention to this goofball pastor in Florida?

I live about 100 miles south of this guy and his cult following. If it weren't for CNN and subsequent dropzone.com postings I wouldn't know anything about him.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Steve, I know where you're coming from. You're solution has been tried though. It was called the
Age of Enlightenment. Reason and critical thinking are not going to set us free as a species from abusing one another, because our root problem is not a thinking one, but a selfish one. As a people, we put our wants and needs above others, and we feel threatened by what we don't understand. Plain and simple: scared or selfish. This has been the human race for around 30000 years, and it will continue. Does that mean that in every instance we should just give in? Of course not, but that starts at home. You popping in here and attacking and belittling the "religious fuckwits" is perpetuating the very attitudes and systems that you rail against. It is very possible to be religiously unreligious. ;)

“There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance – that principle is contempt prior to investigation.”
~Herbert Spencer
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

“There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance – that principle is contempt prior to investigation.”
~Herbert Spencer

Probably the most common action in religions. In fact in Christianity, you are told it's wrong to look into other religions because it shows you are doubtful of your own God. And doubting God is definitely a big no-no. The religion relies heavily on not investigating anything else.

It always astounds me how little of everything else Christians know. They think the primary Satanic 'religion' involves sacrificing animals and follow the Satan as an actual deity.

Or they think that science claims that mankind has evolved from your every day monkey.

It's not always the case, but in my experience there's probably 20 people raised Christian and who never investigate anything else properly to every 1 person that has actually explored the religions and lack thereof and then decided to become a Christian.

It's not always the case, but in my experience there's probably 20 people raised Christian and who never investigate anything else properly to every 1 person that has actually explored the religions and lack thereof and then decided to become a Christian.

The same thing in reverse can be said of atheists, as this thread illustrates.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I don't think this thread illustrates this at all, while people may strike out against Christianity, maybe I missed it, but I don't recall seeing a statement that said that one didn't look into the Christian faith.

It's funny because most of my friends are Atheists and even the ones that were raised that way have read the bible and have an understanding of how the religion works. The way an Atheist with any credibility would. You can't argue that which you don't know, nor can you reject it - without being ignorant. A deep understanding of the message, values and beliefs of the religion is a good idea if you plan on debating it.

And Atheists have no reason not to explore religions for factual information, I don't know of any Atheists that would say "Don't you dare study up on Christianity for the purpose of knowledge.", however I do know many church goers and pastors who definitely say that about other religions. "Stay away from the occult! It'll suck you in, the devil will get you!", "Don't listen to the scientists, they're trying to take away your faith! Look the other way."

No, it doesn't illustrate any such thing.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

No, it doesn't illustrate any such thing.

I should have said "the usual religion threads" instead of 'this thread'.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Bottom line, people are fucking animals, and enlightened. We are always a mixed bag, and if we weren't killing each other in the name of god, it would be over a fucking twinkie.

It's definitely the Twinkies.

I think most all conflicts are over resources and their allocation. Even conflicts that appear to be religious in nature are just resource battles in disguise - with the Middle East being a prime example.

Mostly just good old fashioned greed, an unfortunate remnant of survival instincts.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Interviewer: It's been said that parishoners have left this Church...I wonder how many?

Jones: I would say, uh...basically all.

I don't know wether to laugh or cry...

It really is hard to find a good Church these days.

God help us...
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

Interviewer: It's been said that parishoners have left this Church...I wonder how many?

God help us...

I wonder... did they leave over philosophical differences or did they scatter to keep from being targeted by the religion of peace?

God help us...

Yeah...I laughed at that part.
"Science, logic and reason will fly you to the moon. Religion will fly you into buildings."
"Because figuring things out is always better than making shit up."

Good to see a preacher that at least knows to keep his finger out of the trigger guard.

I agree. He puts the "disciple" in "trigger discipline."
:PB|
"Science, logic and reason will fly you to the moon. Religion will fly you into buildings."
"Because figuring things out is always better than making shit up."

I don't think this thread illustrates this at all, while people may strike out against Christianity, maybe I missed it, but I don't recall seeing a statement that said that one didn't look into the Christian faith.

It's funny because most of my friends are Atheists and even the ones that were raised that way have read the bible and have an understanding of how the religion works. The way an Atheist with any credibility would. You can't argue that which you don't know, nor can you reject it - without being ignorant. A deep understanding of the message, values and beliefs of the religion is a good idea if you plan on debating it.

And Atheists have no reason not to explore religions for factual information, I don't know of any Atheists that would say "Don't you dare study up on Christianity for the purpose of knowledge.", however I do know many church goers and pastors who definitely say that about other religions. "Stay away from the occult! It'll suck you in, the devil will get you!", "Don't listen to the scientists, they're trying to take away your faith! Look the other way."

Just follow your heart. No one has to live with your decisions but you. Take personal responsibility, make a choice, evaluate the outcome and then start over. Do not fret over what anyone else tells you to do or not to do.

I have heard testimonies where folks have challenged God to make Himself real to them in a personal way.

If that doesn't work for you in any possible way, OK. Remember the famous line from the Willie Nelson character in "Electric Horseman,"

"I'm gonna get me a bottle of Tequila and one of them little Keno girls that can suck the chrome off a trailer hitch and kick back."

Somewhere down the line you will make the final choice for real. Make certain it is an informed decision.

~Herbert Spencer

"There is not a truth existing which I fear... or would wish unknown to the whole world." - Jefferson
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

"There is not a truth existing which I fear... or would wish unknown to the whole world." - Jefferson

The fact that someone who is now venerated once wrote or said something doesn't make it Divine Law, or even necessarily correct. For example, Jefferson didn't exactly go public about his sexual relationship with Sally Hemings or the several children he fathered with her. But he sure could turn a snappy phrase.