dreamdancer

Everyday Brits Are in Revolt Against Wealthy Tax Cheats -- Can We Do That Here In The US?

let the next revolution begin...

Imagine a parallel universe where the Great Crash of 2008 was followed by a Tea Party of a very different kind. Enraged citizens gather in every city, week after week—to demand the government finally regulate the behavior of corporations and the superrich, and force them to start paying taxes. The protesters shut down the shops and offices of the companies that have most aggressively ripped off the country. The swelling movement is made up of everyone from teenagers to pensioners. They surround branches of the banks that caused this crash and force them to close, with banners saying, You Caused This Crisis. Now YOU Pay.

As people see their fellow citizens acting in self-defense, these tax-the-rich protests spread to even the most conservative parts of the country. It becomes the most-discussed subject on Twitter. Even right-wing media outlets, sensing a startling effect on the public mood, begin to praise the uprising, and dig up damning facts on the tax dodgers.

Instead of the fake populism of the Tea Party, there is a movement based on real populism. It shows that there is an alternative to making the poor and the middle class pay for a crisis caused by the rich. It shifts the national conversation. Instead of letting the government cut our services and increase our taxes, the people demand that it cut the endless and lavish aid for the rich and make them pay the massive sums they dodge in taxes.

This may sound like a fantasy—but it has all happened. The name of this parallel universe is Britain. As recently as this past fall, people here were asking the same questions liberal Americans have been glumly contemplating: Why is everyone being so passive? Why are we letting ourselves be ripped off? Why are people staying in their homes watching their flat-screens while our politicians strip away services so they can fatten the superrich even more?

http://www.alternet.org/teaparty/149806/vision%3A_everyday_brits_are_in_revolt_against_wealthy_tax_cheats_--_can_we_do_that_here/
stay away from moving propellers - they bite
blue skies from thai sky adventures
good solid response-provoking keyboarding

Why are we letting ourselves be ripped off? Why are people staying in their homes watching their flat-screens while our politicians strip away services so they can fatten the superrich even more?

clearly it's a one word answer
"chemtrails"
:S
--
Rob

we don't have rich tax cheats in the USA. They lobby the government and change the laws so they can do it legally.....

and we continue to let the laws change and keep the rich getting richer, under some delusion that this will create jobs....

under some delusion that this will create jobs

How many people did you have working for you before you were rich enough to start up the DZ?

Perhaps they could start by taxing jump tickets at $10.00 per and then raise the tax on aviation fuel. You know, due to those rich, greedy airlines.

under some delusion that this will create jobs

How many people did you have working for you before you were rich enough to start up the DZ?

Perhaps they could start by taxing jump tickets at $10.00 per and then raise the tax on aviation fuel. You know, due to those rich, greedy airlines.

or... the rich could pay their fair share of tax instead

(unless you really do want jump tickets taxed - 'tis one or the other)

Why target one group? If we are going to raise taxes, let's do it across the board. Let's raise ALL corporate and business taxes. Let's eliminate ALL tax deductions and ALL corporate welfare. If that makes the price of everything go up, then so be it.

on the other hand we could just tax the rich so that they pay their fair share - and then prices won't go up :)
(unless you want them to go up)

on the other hand we could just tax the rich so that they pay their fair share

We have asked many times what your idea of "fair hare" is but we stillhave never gotten any answer yet. Give us a number of whats a fair share
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

We have asked many times what your idea of "fair hare" is but we stillhave never gotten any answer yet. Give us a number of whats a fair share

Whatever a fair share may be (and I think the concept of "fair" makes no sense in the context of taxes), according to the IRS, the largest amount of tax cheating in the USA is among small business owners.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Whatever a fair share may be (and I think the concept of "fair" makes no sense in the context of taxes), according to the IRS, the largest amount of tax cheating in the USA is among small business owners.

I agree, that's why we need across the board tax increases on every business regardless of size. I'd bet some skydiving operations are the worst offenders considering the high cash influx of this type of business. If jump tickets have to go up, then so be it. They have to pay their fair share.

Fair share = More from others, less from me, at least that's what I get from the contextual history of his/her posts.

My question...Are Brits revolting every day or are 'everyday Brits' revolting? I've only met a few dozen Brits, none of whom I found revolting but maybe they weren't everyday Brits. Or, maybe they are really only revolting some, not every day and I always meet them on good days-
Lucky me
Which shouldn't be misread as Me Lucky because I don't expect someone else to fix my life.
You are only as strong as the prey you devour

and we continue to let the laws change and keep the rich getting richer, under some delusion that this will create jobs....

Do you think there should be some kind of upper level cap on income, so that citizens could only achieve a certain level of wealth, and then would not be allowed any more?

Sounds like a fantasy, I've not seen or heard anything in way of a large movement of this type at all.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

It's true if you live in an alter.net universe

That is funny right there.

Still waiting to find out what a fair share is and come to think of it, I guess we are all still waiting for him to man up and waiting for him to answer some questions we asked him in earlier threads.

I guess that is just likely never to really happen. probably won't get the answers to the questions either.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

>I am barely middle class, and I hire a lot of people and employ a lot of people,
>WITHOUT having a lot of money....

Sorry, dude, you're an employer, and therefore part of Alternet's evil super-rich. How much do you laugh when you cut your starving employee's wages so you can afford a third private jet?

Whatever a fair share may be (and I think the concept of "fair" makes no sense in the context of taxes),

Great job not answering the question. How much do you want to tax people is a simple question. YOu want to take 40%? 50%? How much do you think is fair?
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!