davjohns

Ban texting while walking?

"State Senator Carl Kruger says New Yorkers are constantly on their phones, talking, texting or listening to music while crossing the street, leading to a dramatic rise in pedestrian accidents including two deaths in Kruger's Brooklyn district.

Texting-while-walking is to blame for the deaths of three people in (New York City).
Kruger says the proposed fine for texting and walking would be a hundred dollars.

Just last week, a Pennsylvania woman famous for falling into a mall fountain while texting made headlines after threatening legal action against the mall and security guard responsible for putting the video of the fall on YouTube.

The proposal would ban the use of an electronic device while crossing the crosswalk in a city with a population of one million or more. Violators would face a $100 civil fine."
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Apparently the purpose of government is to thwart survival of the fittest.

They're New Yorkers. Don't they realize those big, noisy things on the street will run over you if you let them?

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

If people are that stupid they deserve to get hit by a car. Maybe "natural selection" isn't a thing of the past!

I was driving going through my green light at an intersection. Some guy was crossing the street against the red light. I dont care, whatever. At the speed I was driving and the pace he was walking I wasn't going to hit him, so I didn't slow down. He was looking at his phone the whole time. Then he decides to stop walking in the middle of the street to look closer at his phone. Locked up my brakes, "get off your phone and cross the street stupid!"

He looked at me like I did something wrong!

I also hate walking down the street when someone is looking at their phone. Totally oblivious to anyone around them. When they're about two feet from walking right into me I yell loudly "hey! Watch where the Fuck you're walking!" Scares the shit out of them. One guy actually dropped his phone and got mad at me! I told him where to go. Idiots.

And the way people hold their phones as they walk just waiting for something to happen or someone to text them I find annoying too. Get a life!

As for fines go crossing the street texting, no. I hate social control via government. Street justice via ending up under a car is much more amusing! And a lesson learned.

>I also hate walking down the street when someone is looking at their phone. Totally
>oblivious to anyone around them. When they're about two feet from walking right into
>me I yell loudly "hey! Watch where the Fuck you're walking!" Scares the shit out of
>them. One guy actually dropped his phone and got mad at me! I told him where to go.
>Idiots.

If you were walking down the street talking to your friend, and someone yelled "Hey! Stop talking and watch where the fuck you're walking!" you'd probably be mad too.

>I also hate walking down the street when someone is looking at their phone. Totally
>oblivious to anyone around them. When they're about two feet from walking right into
>me I yell loudly "hey! Watch where the Fuck you're walking!" Scares the shit out of
>them. One guy actually dropped his phone and got mad at me! I told him where to go.
>Idiots.
If you were walking down the street talking to your friend, and someone yelled "Hey! Stop talking and watch where the fuck you're walking!" you'd probably be mad too.

The people that annoy me aren't people that are talking on their phones, they can see where they're walking. People staring at their
phones texting/internet walking can't look down and see in front
of them as they walk. I guess you didn't understand when I
specifically wrote "I also hate walking down the street when someones looking at their phone" Sorry you didn't understand my rare English dialect.

>The people that annoy me aren't people that are talking on their phones, they can
>see where they're walking. People staring at their phones texting/internet walking
>can't look down and see in front of them as they walk.

Sounds like you're making some assumptions. Your assumptions are a pretty poor reason to scream obscenities at someone (IMO.) Again, I have a feeling you'd be pretty annoyed if people did that to you.

I was driving going through my green light at an intersection. Some guy was crossing the street against the red light. I dont care, whatever. At the speed I was driving and the pace he was walking I wasn't going to hit him, so I didn't slow down. He was looking at his phone the whole time. Then he decides to stop walking in the middle of the street to look closer at his phone. Locked up my brakes, "get off your phone and cross the street stupid!"

You'd go nuts if you had to drive out here. In Berkeley, pedestrians are especially known for stepping out onto the street while looking as far away from the direction of travel as possible, just willing the law to ensure that all drivers will stop. In essence, they're refusing to lose a game of chicken with you by not giving themselves the chance to flinch.

(yeah, how fucking stupid is that?)

San Francisco has a fairly high number of pedestrian deaths, and by all means, a good number of them are from red light running assholes. But a fairly high number stem from questionable walking practices too.

You'd go nuts if you had to drive out here. In Berkeley, pedestrians are especially known for stepping out onto the street while looking as far away from the direction of travel as possible, just willing the law to ensure that all drivers will stop. In essence, they're refusing to lose a game of chicken with you by not giving themselves the chance to flinch.

(yeah, how fucking stupid is that?)

San Francisco has a fairly high number of pedestrian deaths, and by all means, a good number of them are from red light running
assholes. But a fairly high number stem from questionable walking practices too.

I live in San Francisco. I deal with the idiots everyday. People think since its law to "Yeild to Pedestrians" that they don't have to look crossing the street. People that drive cars are human too and don't always see them. I yell at them too when they walk in front of my car when im 10 feet from hitting them because they simply didn't look both ways when crossing the street! Don't they teach that in elementary school in California!? Where im from on the east coast people yield to cars. If you don't, you get hit.

Why would anyone put their life in the hands of another by not looking when you cross the street is beyond me.

This is why I yell at stupid people, maybe they'll realize how dumb their lack of awareness really is. Maybe it will save their
lives one day.

The proposal would ban the use of an electronic device while crossing the crosswalk in a city with a population of one million or more. Violators would face a $100 civil fine."

That would prohibit the use of wristwatches and pacemakers.:S
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Sounds like a self correcting problem if you give it enough time:)

That's what I was thinkin'. ;)

Maybe, instead of banning texting while crossing a street, we should require it. That would thin out the herd pretty quick.
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

Sounds like a self correcting problem if you give it enough time:)

That's what I was thinkin'. ;)

Maybe, instead of banning texting while crossing a street, we should require it. That would thin out the herd pretty quick.

I was thinking along the same lines. Texting, cell-phone using pedestrians meeting-up with texting, cell-phone using drivers... should thin out the herd fairly quickly. The only draw-back would be some innocent non-texter, cell-phone user would get caught-up in the mess.

edit to add: I'm beginning to think, all these gadgets and gizmos like cell-phones, i-pods and what have you, are an evil plot to reduce the world population. How's that for 'conspiracy theory'? :D

Chuck

I'm beginning to think, all these gadgets and gizmos like cell-phones, i-pods and what have you, are an evil plot to reduce the world population. How's that for 'conspiracy theory'?

....Or, we are all just evil and can't help but to destroy ourselves, even when we think we're doing something good.

...no nanothermite needed.
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

I'm beginning to think, all these gadgets and gizmos like cell-phones, i-pods and what have you, are an evil plot to reduce the world population. How's that for 'conspiracy theory'?

....Or, we are all just evil and can't help but to destroy ourselves, even when we think we're doing something good.

I don't think we are evil.
I think, it just might be that we as a nation are too arrogant and self-centered.

Chuck

I've seen an increase in recent years of a technique a friend tells me is called 'Bogarting'. People in a crosswalk or car intentionally refuse to make eye contact with someone else and pretend to have right of way. They are relying on the other person being a better person than they (or more highly valuing their car) and yielding. It generally works with me. I assume anyone who does this doesn't have insurance. What the rationale is when walking is beyond me. Maybe they figure they will sue?

Dying ain't no way to live.

I think, it just might be that we as a nation are too arrogant and self-centered.

Chuck

Meh, don't listen to those 3rd world countries, they're evil too...:P

*edited to add emotiocon for the more sensitive viewers*
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

About a year ago, we got a law that bans usage of cell phones while crossing the street. Plus, you are forbidden to listen to the music via headphones while crossing the street.

Also you will be fined if you use cell phone while driving, unless you have some sort of a "hands free" system (I paid ~75$ couple of months ago b/c of this).:|

dudeist skydiver #42

you are forbidden to listen to the music via headphones while crossing the street.

What if I just shut the music off and keep the headphones on...what then?

I ask myself the same question, but still no cop ever tried to approach me while doing this. I`m badass so I listen to the music whenever I want. Fck the system ;)
Anyway, he would probably fine me. In this country they are always right. If it would get to court, I`d still lose. Cop`s word it "stronger" at court than anyone else`s.

Or maybe I could try to bribe him. :ph34r:
dudeist skydiver #42

you are forbidden to listen to the music via headphones while crossing the street.

What if I just shut the music off and keep the headphones on...what then?

I ask myself the same question, but still no cop ever tried to approach me while doing this. I`m badass so I listen to the music whenever I want. Fck the system ;)
Anyway, he would probably fine me. In this country they are always right. If it would get to court, I`d still lose. Cop`s word it "stronger" at court than anyone else`s.

Or maybe I could try to bribe him. :ph34r:

When people fail to use common sense the law steps in to try and fill the gap. Personally I prefer the lighter regulation approach and simply let the accidents happen.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

I've seen an increase in recent years of a technique a friend tells me is called 'Bogarting'. People in a crosswalk or car intentionally refuse to make eye contact with someone else and pretend to have right of way. .

Don't people in crosswalks have right of way anyway? No need to pretend.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Chuck

Meh, don't listen to those 3rd world countries, they're evil too...:P

*edited to add emotiocon for the more sensitive viewers*

Nah, I don't pay any attention to 3rd. world countries... just a personal observation.

Chuck

I've seen an increase in recent years of a technique a friend tells me is called 'Bogarting'. People in a crosswalk or car intentionally refuse to make eye contact with someone else and pretend to have right of way. They are relying on the other person being a better person than they (or more highly valuing their car) and yielding. It generally works with me. I assume anyone who does this doesn't have insurance. What the rationale is when walking is beyond me. Maybe they figure they will sue?

Dying ain't no way to live.

That's pretty messed-up.

Chuck