jclalor

Bill O'Reilly fights atheism and loses - claims ocean tides a divine mystery

I think anyone who is 100% certain there is a God, is a fool.
I think anyone who is 100% certain there is NO God, is a fool.

and those of us who do not know if there is or isn't a God, aren't fools ...
we are just confused. :ph34r:

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I think anyone who is 100% certain there is a God, is a fool.
I think anyone who is 100% certain there is NO God, is a fool.

and those of us who do not know if there is or isn't a God, aren't fools ...
we are just confused. :ph34r:

The person who makes a claim has the burden of proving his claim. Claiming there is no God does not require presenting evidence, that falls on the person making the claim that there is a God.

Having seen zero compelling evidence supporting the existence of a God, The same way I dismissed Santa Clause at the age of 5 with 100% certainty, I dismiss there is a God(s).

Saying anyone who is certain either way about God is foolish, is taking the easy way out.

If there is no evidence of any god after thousands of years then I think it's pretty safe to say there isn't any god. Show me some scientific evidence of god and I will change my mind.

one thousand years ago there was no measurable evidence of gamma radiation, yet now there is.

Is there a god? Maybe, maybe not. Can I prove it? No. Can I prove there isn't one? Don't try to prove a negative little boy.

So the christians (and other theists) have their beliefs. And you have yours. Yes, it's a belief.
--
Rob

I don't have a belief. I don't see any evidence to believe there is a god. Show me some evidence to even suggest there is a god and I will change my mind.

so you're agnostic

ok.

from your absolutist viewpoint you sounded like an atheist. Atheism is a belief. as in "I believe there is no god".
--
Rob

You can call it whatever you want.

Agnostic is more of "I don't know one way or another".

There is no evidence to support the existence of any diety so I don't believe any deity.

I am open to any scientific evidence no matter what it supports.

There is no evidence to support the existence of any diety so I don't believe any deity.

right.

you have no evidence either way. so there is no case to be made other than on belief. You make a case on evidence, not belief, therefor no conclusion can be drawn.
--
Rob

right.

you have no evidence either way. so there is no case to be made other than on belief. You make a case on evidence, not belief, therefor no conclusion can be drawn.

In the same way, you cannot draw any conclusions about the existence of the Flying Spaghetti Monster or Pink Unicorns. The evidence for their existence is identical with the evidence for any other god's existence.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

>If there is no evidence of any god after thousands of years then I think
>it's pretty safe to say there isn't any god.

Well, so far there is no evidence that there is a Higgs boson. Are you willing to bet that therefore there isn't any such particle?

In the same way, you cannot draw any conclusions about the existence of the Flying Spaghetti Monster or Pink Unicorns. The evidence for their existence is identical with the evidence for any other god's existence.

Not so fast.

right.

You mean there are dead sea scrolls or the like in (over 2000 year old) dated material about the FSM?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I can't believe he said this:

I can't believe the guy he was talking to dealt with it so poorly. Bill'O handed him the smackdown on a plate and the dude went off on a tangent. Why is it always the useless ones that get on TV?

(I also don't believe that O'Reilly doesn't know how the tides work. He was actually saying 'sure you can explain how it happens' when the guy cut him off. O'Reilly was probably aiming for the overarching 'why does anything happen?' angle. It's not really a better argument but fair's fair, he's not completely clueless.)
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

You mean there are dead sea scrolls or the like in (over 2000 year old) dated material about the FSM?

Identical in stature and credibility, not actually identical. If it was actaully identical to the dead sea scrolls it'd be the dead sea scrolls.

And being written a long time ago does not make anything more credible. Ask any historian - it actually works the other way.

it actually works the other way.

That depends on if you are ok with rewitinghistory just because you think you can.

Unless you were there - I would see credibility as less if you tried to tell me something about my life.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

That depends on if you are ok with rewitinghistory just because you think you can.

Unless you were there - I would see credibility as less if you tried to tell me something about my life.

You misunderstand, but that's nothing new.

You misunderstand, but that's nothing new.

Personal attacks mean nothing to me (But you keep trying to get a rise out of everyone you can - Its entertaining, if not wholly juvinile) and Feel free to TRY to be more articulate in your explination if you disagree with the understanding you put forth to be learned.

Remember, if the student doesn't learn, it is the teachers fault.

But you keep trying to get a rise out of everyone you can

Physician, heal thyself.

Some kids are beyond help. What's the point in explaining something to a person who will intentionally misunderstand every chance he gets?

Physician, heal thyself.

Some kids are beyond help. What's the point in explaining something to a person who will intentionally misunderstand every chance he gets?

Exactly why we stopped trying to help you.

Physician, heal thyself.

Huh? I don't understand. Could you explain further? ;)
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.