steve1

Pellet gun?

I bought a pellet type rifle the other day. My thinking is that this is something I could fire indoors, during the long winter months. I've noticed my shooting skills are not nearly as sharp as they once were, and I need practice.

The thing is, I don't know much about pellet rifles. The one I bought is not cocking when I pull the barrel down. I was afraid of breaking something, so I hate to get too forceful with it.

The trigger appears to be adjustable. Should I mess with that? I hate a stiff trigger. I read that the front screw should not be tampered with. There is another screw behind that....

I only spent about a $100. on this air rifle. It's a Beeman RS model with a scope. I probably should have bought a more expensive model, but I'm hoping to have fun with this one.

We also have a lot of gophers taking over, close to town. I may have to exterminate some of them, come summer.

Any advice would be appreciated. I haven't shot a pellet gun since I was a kid, and that was many years back. Maybe I'm going through my second childhood?....

Sorry can't help on your specific questions but if you are shooting indoors Walmart do a cheap pellet trap that effectively catches the pellets to keep you safe and stop them making a mess. At short range our pellet gun can make quite a bruise on a ~5m ricochet (found out by experience and lucky it was my shoulder not my eye)
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Use light oil down the barrel, and guess what, Lead bounces...yoru liekly to shoot an eye out!B|

My pellet rifle shoots with the power of a 22 within 50 feet, don't underestimate a pellet gun, granted mine was made in teh 60's when there were few restrictions, but pellet guns can break flesh!

Any advice would be appreciated. I haven't shot a pellet gun since I was a kid, and that was many years back. Maybe I'm going through my second childhood?....

Every weapon that I have ever bought, be it a hand gun, or a pellet or BB gun, has always come with an instruction booklet.

Did yours not come with one?

Try googling their website for troubleshooting.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I bought a pellet gun last winter and was surprised how much force it took to charge it. Mine is not the break barrel type yours sounds like, so maybe there is a difference in force required, but you are compressing the air quite a bit. It is not like a BB gun where you gradually pump up the pressure.

I built a pellet trap out of plywood and sheet aluminum from the roofing section of the hardware store. You definitely want a trap, my gun will seriously dent the aluminum from 10m away. It would definitely put out an eye.

- Dan G

I bought a pellet gun last winter and was surprised how much force it took to charge it. Mine is not the break barrel type yours sounds like, so maybe there is a difference in force required, but you are compressing the air quite a bit. It is not like a BB gun where you gradually pump up the pressure.

I built a pellet trap out of plywood and sheet aluminum from the roofing section of the hardware store. You definitely want a trap, my gun will seriously dent the aluminum from 10m away. It would definitely put out an eye.

I have a .22 pellet rifle, it will at the maximum reccomended "pumps" embed the pellet into an oak log about 2.5 inches.

It is used for hunting small game like rabbits and squirells.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

Every weapon that I have ever bought, be it a hand gun, or a pellet or BB gun, has always come with an instruction booklet.

Did yours not come with one?

Try googling their website for troubleshooting.

I couldn't find anything in the booklets about why this gun might not be cocking. I called the company and they said I am probably not pulling hard enough. I'll give that a try tonight....

I was thinking of building a bullet trap. It might be just as cheap to buy one of Walmart's though. They do look a little cheap though....Do they hold up?

It has held up to all the abuse the kids have thrown at it. It has internal layers of fabric curtain with a steel backing at an angle. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Crosman-BB-Pellet-Air-Soft-Target-Trap/4840335

You could always drop a piece of carpeting in to improve the effectiveness. I noticed that on the Walmart review they mentioned the target area being "small" and damaging the plastic housing. I suspect that if you can't hit within a 6 inch diameter indoors maybe shooting isn't for you[:/]
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Am I the only one that thinks it's both funny and sad that you have to go to Speakers Corner to discuss pellet guns.

:D:D:D

It is pretty asenine, isn't it?

I'll bet that your air rifle and your scope will die in less than 2000 shots.
throw that shit away and get a RWS.

and killing stuff with .117 will require precise shots.
killing stuff with .22 is much easier.

I like shooting em, much much more affordable than real thing, and doesn't bother the neighbor so much.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

We also have a lot of gophers taking over, close to town. I may have to exterminate some of them, come summer.

Kill all the GOLFERS?! :o

All yer gonna do is piss off a gopher with an air gun.

'I've heard' ;) the best way to clean up the property is to use a .22 with CB caps, a low noise low velocity round.

A bolt action is best because of the short size they don't feed well in autos or levers...and stepping back a few feet in the house and shooting through an open window pretty much keeps the outside noise to zero. . . or so I've been told. :$

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I'll bet that your air rifle and your scope will die in less than 2000 shots.
throw that shit away and get a RWS.

and killing stuff with .117 will require precise shots.
killing stuff with .22 is much easier.

I like shooting em, much much more affordable than real thing, and doesn't bother the neighbor so much.

I hope it holds up. I guess time will tell. It comes with two barrels. One is a 22 caliber. I thought I'd use that on gophers.

I shot it last night. It cocks fine with a little extra umph. At first it wouild not group very well. The scope mounts had loosened up somehow. I guess pellet guns are tough on scopes. There is a different type of push involved.

It started grouping better with the tightened mounts, but there was still an occaisional flyer. I thought this scope was the problem. I figured it must have a hell of a paralax in it to cause flyers like that. Then the groups seemed to tighten up and stay that way.

I read that a new pellet gun may take some breaking in to give consistent air pressures on firing. I think that was the problem.

So, I think I have most of the bugs out of it. I thought I'd mess with the trigger next. See if I can lessen the trigger pull some.

I used an old book for a bullet trap last night. I'll have to build a better trap next. I might buy that one from Walmart, and save some time.....

Thanks for the advice....

Kill all the GOLFERS?! :o

All yer gonna do is piss off a gopher with an air gun.

'I've heard' ;) the best way to clean up the property is to use a .22 with CB caps, a low noise low velocity round.

A bolt action is best because of the short size they don't feed well in autos or levers...and stepping back a few feet in the house and shooting through an open window pretty much keeps the outside noise to zero. . . or so I've been told. :$

I also bought some 22 shorts. If the pellet gun doesn't work, I'll use them on gophers. I hate to get my neighbors worried when they hear a gun go off....

Am I the only one that thinks it's both funny and sad that you have to go to Speakers Corner to discuss pellet guns.

You're not alone. But that's how unreasonably fearful and irrational some people are about guns. And their feelings are allowed to dictate forum policy here.

Gun control laws are created the same way.

Maybe you should read again, what is a topic of conversation under the Speaker's Corner. Guns were the second thing listed (after politics)....

Maybe you should read again, what is a topic of conversation under the Speaker's Corner. Guns were the second thing listed (after politics)....

I find it hard to classify a pellet gun as a gun -

But hey - defend it all you want -

It all depends on how ascenine you want to be about it.

according to NJ a slingshot is a deadly weapon.

So is a noodle - if used correctly.:S

Actually a car is much more deadly per capita than any guns are.

You can use them in crime just as you can a gun
You can use them as a weapon just as you can a gun

You can even do one better and use a car to get away after commiting crime, can't even do that with a gun.

Lets have a ban on cars!

>Am I the only one that thinks it's both funny and sad that you have to
>go to Speakers Corner to discuss pellet guns.

Because the usual suspects always devolve the discussion to this:

"So is a noodle - if used correctly . . . . Lets have a ban on cars!"

>Am I the only one that thinks it's both funny and sad that you have to
>go to Speakers Corner to discuss pellet guns.

Because the usual suspects always devolve the discussion to this:

"So is a noodle - if used correctly . . . . Lets have a ban on cars!"

Actually, no...the usual suspects devolve it to bloodthirsty rednecks and/or rivers of blood in the streets.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706