mnealtx

Damn...another attempted bombing

This time, a recruiting station.

More at the ink.

Arrest in Attempted Bombing of Recruiting Office
By CHARLIE SAVAGE
Published: December 8, 2010

A Baltimore man was arrested on Wednesday and is expected to be charged with attempting to blow up a military recruiting station in Catonsville, Md., law enforcement officials said.

As in a similar situation last month in Portland, Ore., the man is said to have left what he believed was a car bomb outside the station, and authorities said he was motivated by a desire to become an Islamist terrorist.

But in fact, the device was harmless, and had been supplied by undercover Federal Bureau of Investigation agents who had been playing along with him for months, a Justice Department spokesman, Dean Boyd, said in a statement.

Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

entrapment? again ?
when will it end ? ;)

Ya

I say let them get the real stuff!
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

entrapment? again ?
when will it end ? ;)

I'm perfectly happy with them attempting to detonate fake bombs vs live ones.

Hmmm - maybe we should just have the authorities drive around with one of those personal detonating booths. You step in and it detonates ANY explosive you have strapped to you.

Couple of orange cones, and a few Police Officers to direct traffic . . . a 70 decibel "Thwump" . . . then just wash the booth out into the sewer, pick up the cones and everyone is on their way again.

:D:D
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

entrapment? again ?
when will it end ? ;)

Your not the ripest apple are ya?

Have ya ever heard of "test runs" ??

kind of like trying car bombs in the WTC before realising that wouldn't work, so they needed to use aircraft!:S

entrapment? again ?
when will it end ? ;)

I'm thinking that people NOT getting blown up is a good thing.

Sure have - care to fill me on how this guy is going to make a 'live run', now that he's been arrested with plenty of evidence and motive for the trial?

kind of like trying car bombs in the WTC before realising that wouldn't work, so they needed to use aircraft!:S

Having witnessed the damage done by IED's and car bombs here in Kosovo, I still stand by my choice - an idiot attempting to detonate a fake bomb is going to get my vote over an idiot detonating a real bomb every time.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

when will it end ? ;)

For you it will end when you move to a country that is without terror threats. Until then, be thankful that men and women are working 24/7 to keep your country safe. If you don't like that approach then vote for folks who are against national security. If you really want to make an organic statement stop buying products associated with oil.

For you it will end when you move to a country that is without terror threats.

Can you name one?

If you don't like that approach then vote for folks who are against national security.

Can you name one?
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

It appears to me....

- Lots of public hammering on homeland security (HS) of all flavors as of late.

- HS job security and the politics behind it are being threatened.

- Powers that be generate special "events" to indicate they are doing a bang-up job "protecting" us. "Look at me! You need me!"

Is J. Edgar still alive? Maybe not, but his legacy lives on.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

For some reason, describing the FBI's efforts as "playing along" just seemed an odd choice of words.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

when will it end ? ;)

For you it will end when you move to a country that is without terror threats. Until then, be thankful that men and women are working 24/7 to keep your country safe. If you don't like that approach then vote for folks who are against national security. If you really want to make an organic statement stop buying products associated with oil.

actually... the little ;) at the end of the line signaled a joke. it is internet-ese for a wink. other posters recognized it as sarcasm. it was a thinly veiled jab at the goobers who claim entrapment whenever someone is caught by the fbi.

basically, the fbi cannot talk normal people into attempting a car-bombing.
the normal people in mosques are who is turning them in to the fbi.

entrapment? again ?
when will it end ? ;)

I'm thinking that people NOT getting blown up is a good thing.

Sure have - care to fill me on how this guy is going to make a 'live run', now that he's been arrested with plenty of evidence and motive for the trial?

Having witnessed the damage done by IED's and car bombs here in Kosovo, I still stand by my choice - an idiot attempting to detonate a fake bomb is going to get my vote over an idiot detonating a real bomb every time.

My words failed me, ...I agree with your point...I must have been drinkin er sumthin...sorry..:S:$ (I was posting while stupid):$

It appears to me....

- Powers that be generate special "events" to indicate they are doing a bang-up job "protecting" us. "Look at me! You need me!"

+1

I wonder if they put any of that great conservative, J Edgars dresses on display at the FBI Buildiong in Washington DC

It appears to me....

+1

I wonder if they put any of that great conservative, J Edgars dresses on display at the FBI Buildiong in Washington DC

So your thinking the Feds going under cover to catch these people before they can buy real explosives is Bad?

It appears to me....

+1

So your thinking the Feds going under cover to catch these people before they can buy real explosives is Bad?

If they are covert ops.... keep it covert ... Currently these incidents are being "produced" for media attention to be used as a propoganda tool to keep the fear in the eyes of the masses and a false tool to quel the fear in the masses that is stirred up by the fear mongers. Ya just cain't hav it bote wayz.

entrapment? again ?
when will it end ? ;)

They were discussing this on the radio this morning and I think it is a very fine line.

Alot of teenage boys are easily swayed and have stupid idea's that they never follow through with. Looking at their age I suspect that THEIR interests might have been better served with a visit from the neighbourhood cops, telling them they were stepping dangerously close to crossing a line of no return. "Enabling" stupid young men to do stupid things doesn't actually serve them justice or reduce the terrorist threat. What it does is make people feel good that the authorities are watching out for us.

A senior member of Britians counter-terrorism unit wrote a book and expressed frustration that the more successful they are the LESS people appreciate what they need to do. He also saw success as preventing young men from being radicalised.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

entrapment? again ?
when will it end ? ;)

They were discussing this on the radio this morning and I think it is a very fine line.

Alot of teenage boys are easily swayed and have stupid idea's that they never follow through with. Looking at their age I suspect that THEIR interests might have been better served with a visit from the neighbourhood cops, telling them they were stepping dangerously close to crossing a line of no return. "Enabling" stupid young men to do stupid things doesn't actually serve them justice or reduce the terrorist threat. What it does is make people feel good that the authorities are watching out for us.

A senior member of Britians counter-terrorism unit wrote a book and expressed frustration that the more successful they are the LESS people appreciate what they need to do. He also saw success as preventing young men from being radicalised.

i was addressing the facts in this situation. go to the top of the thread, follow the link, read the article.

he was on facebook praising jihadists for months. he tried to recruit 3 others who, like sane people, rejected him. he expressed interest in going to Afghanistan to fight. this was his publicly expressed opinion for months.
read the article on the link. if anyone was pushing this kid, it happened before the fbi was called by the informant.

entrapment? again ?
when will it end ? ;)

i was addressing the facts in this situation. go to the top of the thread, follow the link, read the article.

he was on facebook praising jihadists for months. he tried to recruit 3 others who, like sane people, rejected him. he expressed interest in going to Afghanistan to fight. this was his publicly expressed opinion for months.
read the article on the link. if anyone was pushing this kid, it happened before the fbi was called by the informant.

Hell if they want to go... give em a free ticket to Pakistan but insert a freakin RFID chip in em ... its a far more permanent solution.

I read the link. I stand by what I said the internet has a nasty habit of making people say stupid things. How come everyone on the internet has a big dick? It is the same basic principle talking big behind an screen name. As I said in my original post there is a fine line to be walked. I fully support our security services infiltrating terrorist groups and I know that this means that they have to "Participate". Participation obviously means making a contribution seen as valuable by the suspects BUT I am tempered by the realisation that a lonely misguided young person bragging on the internet might need therapy more than arrest.

So do you agree with the UK prosecuting this guy and the measures taken? http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/twitter-joke-led-to-terror-act-arrest-and-airport-life-ban-1870913.html
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

How come everyone on the internet has a big dick?

I want it known that I do not have a big dick

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

How come everyone on the internet has a big dick?

I want it known that I do not have a big dick

Wendy P.

No but are you are 21 blond and size 6:)