wayneflorida

I'm tired of the nannys

Philly Suburb Considers Fining Those Who Don't Lock Cars
http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local-beat/Philly-Suburb-Considers-Fining-Those-Who-Dont-Lock-Cars-104762534.html?dr

Being a sensible person I can very easily say this proposed law is a good idea. Unlock cars are easier to steal, and to steal from. After all it would possibly enable the police to spend more time on serious crimes. It's only to apply on public property. This paragraph shows I'm a logical person and can go for a law like this.

Hmmm, If the law pertained to private property also, it would be twice as effective. The warning and $25 fine are not enough. No warning and $100 fine.
10 days in county jail for second offense. Car taken away for third offense. This paragraph shows how the thoughts of the nannys would progress.

Now there is a good law. sarcasm

Slap my face and wake me up.:)Getting the nanny thought pattern out of my head.

I dislike any law that tells me what I can or can't do with my personal property. However I see the purpose behind this law.

I think if they're going through the process of warnings already, another alternative might be: flagging an owner as negligent in locking their vehicle could result in fees being paid for recovery if their car is stolen

as for it being twice as good if it pertained to private property, then I see serious conflict in your "tired of the nannys" subject line. You want nannies to tell you that on your private property you have to lock your car, but you're tired of them...

How about if you don't lock your car, expect it to get stolen, and if you want the cops to recover it, you pay them.
--
Rob

Who the F leaves their car unlocked?

I think the bigger issue would be how this is enforced. On public property I can see where the cops -might- be able to troll a parking lot looking for one of the old style pop-up lock dohickies and handing out a ticket, but are they going to check door handles? Seriously? "Well, the door just opened and a thought I smelled something funny so I now had probable cause to search the vehicle."

I have ZERO idea how it could possibly work on private property. What? They'd going to walk onto your driveway AND check the door handle? F that!
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

A few years ago while living in the Vancouver BC area there was times when I would purposely leave my Jeep Wrangler unlocked (of course I also ensured that there was nothing of value inside the vehicle to steal). Why did I do this? Because the East End of Vancouver is pretty much one of the crackhead capitols of the world where junkies are looking to break into anything to pay for their next fix. They would not care if the doors are locked, they would smash the windows to gain access. So what is worse? Constantly having to replace broken windows from whenever the crackheads broke into your vehicle or deal with the possibility that the vehicle would be stolen all because the doors were unlocked? I choose to take a risk that someone would steal my beaten up Wrangler versus worrying about the crackheads constantly breaking my windows.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

A few years ago while living in the Vancouver BC area there was times when I would purposely leave my Jeep Wrangler unlocked (of course I also ensured that there was nothing of value inside the vehicle to steal). Why did I do this? Because the East End of Vancouver is pretty much one of the crackhead capitols of the world where junkies are looking to break into anything to pay for their next fix. They would not care if the doors are locked, they would smash the windows to gain access. So what is worse? Constantly having to replace broken windows from whenever the crackheads broke into your vehicle or deal with the possibility that the vehicle would be stolen all because the doors were unlocked? I choose to take a risk that someone would steal my beaten up Wrangler versus worrying about the crackheads constantly breaking my windows.

Don't forget about the automatic fine for convertibles and open style jeeps and hummvees.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I used to do the same thing with my old Buick. Didn't even have a radio, so nothing worth stealing. Got my window broken once down at Venice Beach. Left the car unlocked, glove box and center console open and empty, back seat down and trunk empty, from that point on, and kept the registration and insurance info in my wallet. As a college student, I just couldn't afford another broken window. It didn't happen to me again, but it did happen to a couple friends...all had locked their cars.

but are they going to check door handles? Seriously?

There will be tons of car alarms going off as a result if this is how they'll enforce it. Bad idea.

Hey that is a win win for the former police officers turned revenue enhancement departments. They can write a separate ticket for disturbing the peace with the car alarm making all that racket in the quiet neighborhood

-A few years ago while living in the Vancouver BC area there was times when I would purposely leave my Jeep Wrangler unlocked

-I used to do the same thing with my old Buick. Didn't even have a radio, so nothing worth stealing. Got my window broken once down at Venice Beach.

I've had friends on three occasions have their window smashed and have about 25% worth of the value of the broken window stolen from inside the car. One guy even smashed my friends rear windshield on his explorer (with all of the defrost elements) only to make off with... 3 CDs and a pair of jumper cables...

Plus no matter how good the shop is you will end up finding pieces of glass in your car for months.

Me, I drive a 2001 Jeep Wrangler, I never keep anything of value in it and it beats having the top cut.
Most thefts from vehicles are juveniles and/or dopers looking for quick property to sell.
You'd be surprised how much stuff people leave in full view in their cars. They might as well have a sign on the car saying "break this, and steal contents inside".
With that said this ordinance is just silly, it should'nt be a violation to be a dumbass.......:P

"Just 'cause I'm simple, don't mean I'm stewpid!"

I think the bigger issue would be how this is enforced. On public property I can see where the cops -might- be able to troll a parking lot looking for one of the old style pop-up lock dohickies and handing out a ticket, but are they going to check door handles? Seriously? "Well, the door just opened and a thought I smelled something funny so I now had probable cause to search the vehicle."
I have ZERO idea how it could possibly work on private property. What? They'd going to walk onto your driveway AND check the door handle? F that!

many police forces use bait cars , with unlocked doors . after the perps steal the unlocked car they remotely lock the erstwhile unlocked car doors. then the perps are trapped , but not entrapped. we can safely presume these unlocked cars will be exempt . yet another "F" that would leave their cars unlocked!

Locks were made to keep honest people out.:S

I heard is as, "Locks were invented to kee honest people honest."
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

The people who elected the bozos deserve what they get.
Unfortunately all the rest of the populace has to live with it until they grow the balls to stand up and say No More!
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239