rhys

Google cars, is this for real?

http://mashable.com/2010/10/09/google-cars/

Google announced today that it has developed cars that drive themselves automatically in traffic, and that it has been testing them on the streets of California for months. It might seem like an unusual project for Google, but it could actually have big benefits.

We’re not just talking about cars running Google Android. This is the stuff of science fiction. The only accident that has occurred so far: One of the cars was rear-ended by a driver at a stop light. Human error!...

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

http://mashable.com/2010/10/09/google-cars/

Google announced today that it has developed cars that drive themselves automatically in traffic, and that it has been testing them on the streets of California for months. It might seem like an unusual project for Google, but it could actually have big benefits.

We’re not just talking about cars running Google Android. This is the stuff of science fiction. The only accident that has occurred so far: One of the cars was rear-ended by a driver at a stop light. Human error!...

if i remember correctly stanford has a few youtube videos of the self driving cars they have been working on and google has very close ties with dtsnford so maybe they have decided to sponsor one of those projects

Cool, get pissed and drive home while googling stuff.

Drop you off at the shop and find a park itself, then pick you up at the door when you're finished.

Mint, I like it!
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

I can remembering hearing about self driving cars for a while now, who really knows if it will ever actually happen. Most of the designs that I had heard of require new roads with built in sensors, which makes it pretty hard to implement.

Just like any new technology, there will be some bugs and accidents. Some people will die in crashes, but that already happens now. Hopefully the lawsuits from the first couple deaths won't kill the industry. Of course, before you take one of these off the lot, there should be a huge waiver to sign. It seems you might need dedicated lanes, like the HOV, that are only for self driving cars. People might not like it at first, but if you are sitting in traffic and the self driven cars next to you are zipping along, then people will sign on.

Look at the link a few posts above that technology seems quite independant, looks like it may be a while before they can make it look less like a time machine from an 80's movie but it is indepedant of road sensors etc which is better.

Time will tell, with electric ars using hub motors, brakes atc there is more room in the body of a vegicle for this type of thing...

I can remembering hearing about self driving cars for a while now, who really knows if it will ever actually happen. Most of the designs that I had heard of require new roads with built in sensors, which makes it pretty hard to implement.

I remember those designs. Some used embedded sensors, later they switched to a metalic paint strip on the road.

These designs do it all through image recognition and laser rangefinders.

Just like any new technology, there will be some bugs and accidents. Some people will die in crashes, but that already happens now. Hopefully the lawsuits from the first couple deaths won't kill the industry. Of course, before you take one of these off the lot, there should be a huge waiver to sign. It seems you might need dedicated lanes, like the HOV, that are only for self driving cars. People might not like it at first, but if you are sitting in traffic and the self driven cars next to you are zipping along, then people will sign on.

a lane for self-driving vehicles could incorporate things such as reduced following distances allowing more traffic on the roads. Going 50mph with inches from the guy in front of you as opposed to 50-75 feet would put a much higher density of traffic in one lane. I could see this could greatly improve the traffic congestion problems on main lanes as well.
--
Rob

I remember those designs. Some used embedded sensors, later they switched to a metalic paint strip on the road.

These designs do it all through image recognition and laser rangefinders.

a lane for self-driving vehicles could incorporate things such as reduced following distances allowing more traffic on the roads. Going 50mph with inches from the guy in front of you as opposed to 50-75 feet would put a much higher density of traffic in one lane. I could see this could greatly improve the traffic congestion problems on main lanes as well.

Huge fuel savings potential as well. I've thought about the train model - where cars could couple together into a chain when you're doing long stretches. Physical coupling removes the constant adjustment against bumping (esp for weaker engines). Though the quality of some of the interstates road surfaces might be an issue with that.

It would be an extension of the carpool lane approach in SoCal where you can only exit every couple miles. Perhaps every time miles there is an uncoupling zone. you can also narrow these lanes, so you might be able to convert two lanes to 3, provided you can figure out the in/out process.

SRI has been playing with stuff for a long time now, probably under DARPA contract.

Going 50mph with inches from the guy in front of you as opposed to 50-75 feet would put a much higher density of traffic in one lane.

You've obviously never driven in DC or Boston. Follwing distances are measured in microns, inches are for little old ladies.

- Dan G

it's been a few years for Boston. even more for DC.

DC impressed me how people were going 70 with a few feet between cars. Boston impressed me with their complete lack of regard for lanes.

I was thinking more of the general case. but you can pick the straw man negative example if you wish to poopoo the whole idea. :)
--
Rob

Just a joke. I think self-navigating cars would be great. No poo-poo here.

Except the poo-poo in my pants as I attempt to survive my daily commute.

I do think big city drivers would demand their cars had an "Asshole" mode, that would tailgate, weave, randomly honk the horn, and simulate texting.

- Dan G

Look at the aviation industry and you will see that this kind of thing is inevitable. Probably safer and more efficient. I hate that.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Roads do not need to be changed, EVERY car has to be able to to talk freely . If you thought 9-11 was bad wait till a 13 yod finds the crack.

LMAO

I can see it now -

But officer - I sent the car out for pizza, not cocaine!
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun