RALFFERS

I'm becoming an atheist

Seriously, what is the difference between Santa and God? How is God more than just a shared imaginary friend?

Start with the Gospel of John, then Matthew, Mark and Luke. After that read Romans.

Okay, so there is a book about God. Good for him, but I bet there are books about Santa, too. So, except your freaking fables book that I don't give a crap about, is there a difference?
And please, can you give me your own opinion? Do you even have one?

I am not willing to invest more in YOUR salvation than you are willing to invest. Do your homework.

I asked three times. You still didn't answer. I guess that means you don't see any difference between Santa and God. How does it feel to be defeated by a childish analogy? :)
"One day, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching."

Dudeist Skydiver #101

How does it feel to be defeated by a childish analogy? :)

:D:D:D

2 Corinthians 2:14
But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and manifests through us the sweet aroma of the knowledge of Him in every place.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

And this is why I gave up posting in SC a while back. These discussion always end up in insult flinging, slams, "scripture flinging" tirades where all parties appear as fools (IMHO)

I enjoy discussing my beliefs and exploring other people's beliefs, especially atheist & agnostics. (I grow weary discussing with "Christians" who have EVERY answer) So back to the Instructor and WS threads it is for me.

steveOrino

But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and manifests through us the sweet aroma of the knowledge of Him in every place.

Really? Oh darn, I guess I was wrong my entire life. There is a God. Thank you so much, you opened my eyes. I'm going to pray right now.

:S I'm out of here.
"One day, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching."

Dudeist Skydiver #101

And this is why I gave up posting in SC a while back. These discussion always end up in insult flinging, slams, "scripture flinging" tirades where all parties appear as fools (IMHO)

I enjoy discussing my beliefs and exploring other people's beliefs, especially atheist & agnostics. (I grow weary discussing with "Christians" who have EVERY answer) So back to the Instructor and WS threads it is for me.

O come on Steve, I enjoy reading your posts. These discussions go all over the place, just stay where you are comfortable. You always have a lot to add.:)

I remember a discussion with a guy at work that was a Christian, went to ORU, then after getting his PhD he no longed felt he could be a Christian because he believed in evolution (I personally don't see where the two are incompatible, but I understand if he earned his undergrad at ORU why he would) His one statement near the end of our conversation has stuck with me for over a decade. He said, "But I sure miss Jesus."

steveOrino

But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and manifests through us the sweet aroma of the knowledge of Him in every place

Really? Oh darn, I guess I was wrong my entire life. There is a God. Thank you so much, you opened my eyes. I'm going to pray right now.

The myth of old St Nick, is not a problem or even revelant. The world is full of myths that come and go when they no longer serve a purpose. But maybe just maybe there is a Truth that transcends space and time. God can be everything or nothing, He has given us the freedom to decide. For those of us who know Him, there is a reason we stay with Him. It never ceases to amaze me how those who have never experienced the loving healing hand of God can speak with authority on the existence of God. I have lived your life without God, you are welcome to it. I will keep what I have found.

url "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phineas_Gage#Brain_damage_and_mental_changes"]Evidence strongly suggests that our personalities reside in the meat in our heads.[/url]

The more we learn about neuroscience and how we make decisions, the more it appears that free will isn't completely free. Radiolab is an excellent radio show about complex topics explained in a simple manner, and in an episode on Choice describes experiments where seemingly irrelevant events impact the decision process.

In one experiment, people were given either a two digit number to remember, or a seven digit number to remember. Later on they were offered a choice of two desserts, an apple or a piece of fatty cake. People who had 2 digit numbers to remember consistently chose the apple, while those with 7 digit numbers consistently chose the cake.

Simple experiment, but the ramifications on free will...

I have no problem with that, every decision we make is influenced by extraneous factors and then temperedy by our preconceived notions. But it is our free will that crunches all of the information to create the reality we choose to live in.

I remember a discussion with a guy at work that was a Christian, went to ORU, then after getting his PhD he no longed felt he could be a Christian because he believed in evolution (I personally don't see where the two are incompatible, but I understand if he earned his undergrad at ORU why he would) His one statement near the end of our conversation has stuck with me for over a decade. He said, "But I sure miss Jesus."

A false dichotomy, unless one wishes to insist on the literal truth of each word of the Bible. Then you're in some trouble, as the Bible is full of contradictions and is an extraordinarily poor science textbook. I know a lot of people who are committed Christians and who have no issue with evolution.

Don

Hi Max,

I'll try to get out to the DZ tomorrow afternoon.

Did you see the notice about balloon jumps Aug 14/15?

Don

I'm having real problems (Not metaphysical ones) .. I don't seem to be able to get this new slippery Katana into the bag.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

A false dichotomy, unless one wishes to insist on the literal truth of each word of the Bible. Then you're in some trouble, as the Bible is full of contradictions and is an extraordinarily poor science textbook. I know a lot of people who are committed Christians and who have no issue with evolution.

Don

I agree

steveOrino

The problem as I see it (or one of them at least) is that the Bible is the work of man trying to understand the concept of God.
It's a difficult concept to get a grips with and it's therefore a very difficult concept to explain in 'Earthly' terms.. Would be now, with our modern 'intellect' .... man it have been a real humdinger 2000 years ago with a bunch of uneducated folks in the audience.

I personally do not believe but if I wanted to 'control' an uneducated populace.... It'd use threats and magic too... But I'd probably try harder to get my act together and keep my story straight ... Jeeeze

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and manifests through us the sweet aroma of the knowledge of Him in every place

The myth of old St Nick, is not a problem or even revelant. The world is full of myths that come and go when they no longer serve a purpose. But maybe just maybe there is a Truth that transcends space and time. God can be everything or nothing, He has given us the freedom to decide. For those of us who know Him, there is a reason we stay with Him. It never ceases to amaze me how those who have never experienced the loving healing hand of God can speak with authority on the existence of God. I have lived your life without God, you are welcome to it. I will keep what I have found. ...

I find it hard to have intellectual tolerance for educated adults who identify certain non-corporeal myths for what they are - myths - and then extol the virtue of their own non-corporeal myths as "Truth" with a capital "T". Arrogance - even if spoken gently, by a decent person, with love, purity of motive, and without malice - is still arrogance.

...For those of us who know Him, there is a reason we stay with Him. ...those who have never experienced the loving healing hand of God...

Sweeeeeet. I don't know him, but slap fives with him for me next time you guys hang out!
So there I was...

Making friends and playing nice since 1983

Seriously, what is the difference between Santa and God? How is God more than just a shared imaginary friend?

Start with the Gospel of John, then Matthew, Mark and Luke. After that read Romans.

I have a busy schedule coming up today and lasting several days. That is your homework assignment. Send me a PM on your progress later.

Dude - you're doing it again! Using something that none believers consider a work of fiction to support your beliefs. You are going to have to do better if you want us to consider that you have "evidence", or even something worth considering.

So, now try the God/Santa question without resorting to "that book".
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

"Yes, he will meet your needs" Bullshit.

Well then, you have it all figured out! That's good.

"Faith is the substance of things hoped for, and things not seen"

God gave man a free will to do as you wish. I'd watch the blasphemy thing if I were you, but I'm not. Thank God!

But you are entitled to your own opinion, no matter what anyone else's is.
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

I find it hard to have intellectual tolerance for educated adults who identify certain non-corporeal myths for what they are - myths - and then extol the virtue of their own non-corporeal myths as "Truth" with a capital "T". Arrogance - even if spoken gently, by a decent person, with love, purity of motive, and without malice - is still arrogance.

I am not surprised. We view each other with equal suspicion. I love balance, it speaks well of ones opponent. You are not lukewarm.

Faith is the substance of things hoped for

Exactly. Religious people believe in what they want to be true, rather than what there is actual evidence for.

God gave man a free will to do as you wish. I'd watch the blasphemy thing if I were you, but I'm not.

"I'd had a lovely supper, and all I said to my wife was 'That piece of Halibut was good enough for Jehovah!'"
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

After years of believing in God (as a kid I had a general belief in God), & then becoming a devout Evangelical Cristian 10 years ago, at the age of 19 - and yet now I find myself steadily becoming an atheist. There are things I just can't blindly accept anymore - hell & the eternal torment that comes with it for starters. The doctrine of pre-destined 'election' would be another. I also think that God is for those who can't explain why certain things happen in their lives; while others need a sense of purpose. All these things are fine - I just can't do it anymore though. If you want something out of life, than it's your responsibility to go out & get it! This is all kinda' weird & new to me still; hell, I've even had a few discussions/debates as to why should one believe in God.

My only issue is explaining my newfound position to my friends & family; without fail I will get the "you changed your mind again?..." thing (I've been struggling with belief on & for a while - but this feels like the final nail in the coffin). Strangely enough, the people I know at church are good people, with whom I have developed friendships over years; so I don't want to lose contact with them, somehow though I think that is inevitable

The only funny thing is my mom keeps rambling on about how God is going to punish me, just like he did years ago... Well, I call bullshit.

I do have one question though - as atheists, have you ever wondered the 'what if... after death? Stupid I know, but valid nevertheless, since none of us have ever been there. Fuck if I know, but I don't really care anymore either. Feels refreshing. :)

I know I am popping in very late in teh game here, But I am an athiest...All my inlaws (FIL,MIL, SIL, BIL) work for the Church, My wife believes, and my son, listens to both sides!

WHY do you think you will drift away from your church friends? would you stop being friends with someone because they don't eat meat?

Simply respect their beliefs , and avoid the conversations if it bothers you, (If it bothers you, then your mind is NOT made up)

I get along with all my inlaws great BTW....they rib me now and then, but just for fun...