TrophyHusband

so...how long before gen. mcchrystal retires, writes a book, and becomes a fox news contributor?

Even so. Even if the firing happens. Even if the response to this is punishment. It doesn't mean he was wrong.

he may not be wrong in the substance of his words, but that doesn't really matter. he was wrong in saying those words. when you join the military you volunarily give up some of your rights. your right to free speech is restricted. reguardless of the correctness of his statements, his statements should not have been made.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

Even so. Even if the firing happens. Even if the response to this is punishment. It doesn't mean he was wrong.

he may not be wrong in the substance of his words, but that doesn't really matter. he was wrong in saying those words. when you join the military you volunarily give up some of your rights. your right to free speech is restricted. reguardless of the correctness of his statements, his statements should not have been made.

As I stated before - I agree and hope he is impuned for his transgressions. I cannot pretend i don't agree with his statements though.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

You're right, McChrystal has a brilliant and stellar resume, career and qualifications.
So did Gen. Douglas MacArthur, arguably the most brilliant general officer in the history of the United States military. He mouthed off insubordinately about the President, too. He, too, was considered by many to be "indispensable" to the mission. And he, too, deserved the firing he got.

No general officer of the United States is too important that he may openly piss on the leadership of the civilian government that commands him. It was right, and necessary, to fire MacArthur in 1951, and McChrystal should be fired now.

In the US (as well as in virtually every other country) the military, especially the career military, is and always has been among the most conservative of society; it's simply natural. Since the turn of the 20th Century, the career military has generally found itself in bitter disagreement with Democratic administrations over damned near everything, foreign and domestic. The temptation to criticize is almost unbearable. Nonetheless, command protocol demands that individual members of the military must STFU, at least in public. When they give in to this temptation, it simply cannot be tolerated. This was made clear re: MacArthur in 1951, and MUST be reinforced re: McChrystal now.

I'm not disagreeing with you that it has to happen. I hope it does. STILL it doesn't mean that his comments were incorrect or wrong, just poorly timed and placed.

I hope it happens to show what a lout this president is with regards to military command.

And my point being, in part, that it is and has been vogue for many career military officers to consider members of Democratic administrations to be a bunch of clueless twits ever since Woodrow Wilson was President. No, that doesn't mean that they were generally more right than wrong; and no, it doesn't mean that either prior Democratic presidents, or Obama now, are louts with regard to military command.

and no, it doesn't mean that either prior Democratic presidents, or Obama now, are louts with regard to military command.

I agree about prior Dems, with the exception of Carter.

But Obama needs some more training.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

It doesn't mean he was wrong.

A person can be factually correct in his opinions, yet woefully wrong in voicing them if it undercuts the authority that person is sworn to follow the orders of and set an example to his troops.

You can be right and call your boss names, but you can not expect to hold your job for long if you do so. This is true from a fry cook at McDonald's to a General in the field.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

It doesn't mean he was wrong.

A person can be factually correct in his opinions, yet woefully wrong in voicing them if it undercuts the authority that person is sworn to follow the orders of and set an example to his troops.

You can be right and call your boss names, but you can not expect to hold your job for long if you do so. This is true from a fry cook at McDonald's to a General in the field.

Again, I agree.

McChrystal is hardly the first 4 Star to step on his dick and be faced with getting fired or having to resign over it.

For those who are painting it as a Democratic President / Military Pissing contest, lets look back a couple of years to Admiral William Fallon, then C-in-C Central Command.

From Wikipedia -
"On March 11, 2008 Secretary of Defense Robert Gates announced the resignation of Fallon as CENTCOM Commander. He stated that Fallon's reason for resigning centered on the controversy regarding a recent article in Esquire magazine which depicted him as openly criticizing the Bush administration with specific regard to American policy towards Iran."

Seems that Fallon's sins against the Republican President of the day were milder than McChrystal's alleged sins against the current President.

Same Secretary of Defense in both cases (and he is in the chain of command).

Let the feeding frenzy continue....

Blue Ones,

Major Dad
CSPA D-579

the best and most honorable solution is for Gen McC to retire and admit his gaff in not respecting his chain of command in terms of public appearance and demeanor

then he can write his book and voice his true opinions as a private citizen

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

the best and most honorable solution is for Gen McC to retire and admit his gaff in not respecting his chain of command in terms of public appearance and demeanor

then he can write his book and voice his true opinions as a private citizen

Perhaps . . . there are other options though.

But I don't expect the CiC to admit that he's totally unqualified and step down

Why would truth ever be considered?

But I don't expect the CiC to admit that he's totally unqualified and step down

Why would truth ever be considered?

Well, it would be one hell of a CHANGE

Drudge is reporting he may have already resigned!!

Now we may find out what is really going on
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

I believe there will be court isues if he talks and says anything damaging during his presidency. Hey, if he can Bully BP whats to stop him from bullying an individual?

I believe there will be court isues if he talks and says anything damaging during his presidency. Hey, if he can Bully BP whats to stop him from bullying an individual?

Completely silly. You completely ignore the concept of military discipline and protocol. If an officer wants to speak out, he can resign his commission. Otherwise he can either STFU or be subject to corrective discipline.

I hope it happens to show what a lout this president is with regards to military command.

Yeah! The thing I hate most about Obama is how he tried cover up the fact that Pat Tillman died from friendly fire. You remember Pat Tillman, right? He was a true American hero. And that friggin' anti-Christ Obama tarnished his memory by totally lying about the manner in which he died, even keeping the truth from Tillman's own family. That was truly despicable.

What's that? It wasn't Obama who did that, it was... Oh right. >:(

Trumps the long list under McChrystal's name every time.

In a foxhole with a full frontal assault coming my way - I'll take the long list.
Prepping a bridge with C4 and det cord - I'll take the long list.
Calling in grid coordinates for close air support - I'll take the long list.
Navigating with just a compass and a map - I'll take the long list.
Spotting for a stick out of a C-130 or a C-182 - I'll take the long list.
Going on liberty - I'll take the long list. (Would consider Bill Clinton as a close second on this one, however.)

Eikenberry was a year ahead of me. McC was a year behind me. McC is a soldier and warrior. I respect him for that. But, if the President does not relieve him, he will appear weak.
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

As you know, this has nothing to do with either man's personal combat skills. McChrystal has about as much need to personally lay det cord as Martha Stewart.

In his long and distinguished career, he should have learned not to step quite so hard on his dick.

- Dan G

Completely silly. You completely ignore the concept of military discipline and protocol. If an officer wants to speak out, he can resign his commission. Otherwise he can either STFU or be subject to corrective discipline.

Silly? No, not really . . . You completely ignore the whole Security clearance thing.:)

saying "i've accepted his resignation" instead of "i've relieved him of his duties" and then going on to speak highly of the general's service to his country was not a "self rightgeous dick" thing to do. mcchrystal had to go and he had to go quickly.

tell me, what could obama have done or said and how could he have done or said it to make you happy?

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

OBAMA IS A SELF RIGHTGEOUS DICK WHO "HANDLED IT" LIKE THE SELF RIGHTEOUS DICK HE IS.

Clearly deserving of a high irony score as well as 10/10 for shouting talent.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

what could obama have done

he could listen to someone that has a clue because he clearly does not.

ps [sorry about the "shouting" but I had my cap lock on and I am lazy]

Rat for Life - Fly till I die
When them stupid ass bitches ask why

what could obama have done

he could listen to someone that has a clue because he clearly does not.

ps [sorry about the "shouting" but I had my cap lock on and I am lazy]

Listen to what, the words of a General that gave his opinion to Rolling Stone Magazine? Sorry, I don't care who the General is or what his past service record is, he has disgraced himself. Publicly bashing the CinC in a magazine was as unprofessional as it gets. If a low ranking nobody had done that they would probably be facing a dishonorable discharge at best. He is lucky he is not facing the same.

The President had no option but to fire him and to be honest he showed him a lot more respect in the way he accepted the resignation than he was shown. I may not agree with everything this President has done, but this could not have been handled better.
Time flies like an arrow....fruit flies like a banana