Gato

Trip to Mexico City....Advice?

Seeing as how over 200 American were killed in Mexico between 2004 and 2008

...and 83,119 were killed in the USA between 2004 and 2008

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2008/data/table_07.html

You're eventually going to come up with something relevant to travel in Mexico (that being the premise of the thread), right?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Cancun is not Mexico, it's an US tourist island in Mexico

Which was part of the point I was trying to make. Cancun may be somewhat safe.. But even as close as 15 miles away, Even the locals will not travel on the roads because of the murders and kidnappings. Anyone that thinks it is safe to be in Mexico right now is either completely uninformed or has their head up their ass.

When you have 100`s of people slaughtering each other over drug trafficking and there is little if any police presence (Outside of major tourist areas) then common sense says it just might be a good idea to say away for a while.

Seeing as how over 200 American were killed in Mexico between 2004 and 2008

...and 83,119 were killed in the USA between 2004 and 2008

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2008/data/table_07.html

Between 2004 & 2008 is irrelevant. The animals have been on the warpath in Mexico only lately. This dysfunctional narco government is helpless as they're killing police, public officials as well as innocent victims.

This cannot in any way be compared to the US where similar killings would have immediate and very severe full scale consequences for the offenders.
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

Most of the people that think it's dangerous have never been to mexico. It's like people telling you how crazy it is to jump from an airplane

Any other time I would agree with you, but Mexico is not safe for anyone right now. I spent many summers in Mexico as a kid and loved it. You couldn't pay me to go there right now.
Dom

Just be sure you have all of your paperwork in order. It is very difficult to enter the US from Mexico without proper documentation. :)

Nah, a three week hike through the desert works. People do it all the time!;)
What you say is reflective of your knowledge...HOW ya say it is reflective of your experience. Airtwardo

Someone's going to be spanked! Hopefully, it will be me. Skymama

I'm sure more American teenager die alone in Cancun thru alcohol poisoning during spring brake than all other Americans together in the rest of the country... Cancun is not Mexico, it's an US tourist island in Mexico

Keep telling yourself that. Read the news, do a google search. Then try to say that it is safe.
Dom

This thread makes me think of the Us citizens being held in Iran right now.

People live with their heads in the clouds. Lets go to Afganistan and see the pretty out of the way places... lets go find that pretty waterfall. Oh...we didnt know it was in Iran. Oh they hate us there. Oh we are in jail now. Geez we are just wonderful Americans and are only here to enjoy this pretty scene in the desert. Can we go home now?

People get a clue. It is not a good time to be an American traveling right now. FYI, the rest of the world really doesn't like us. We are targets just about every country we go to.
Dom

I'm sure more American teenager die alone in Cancun thru alcohol poisoning during spring brake than all other Americans together in the rest of the country... Cancun is not Mexico, it's an US tourist island in Mexico

Keep telling yourself that. Read the news, do a google search. Then try to say that it is safe.

Okay....I did ~;)
Cancun's murder rate is approximately 4.7 per 100000 population...much lower than comparable US cities.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Okay....I did ~;)
Cancun's murder rate is approximately 4.7 per 100000 population...much lower than comparable US cities.

How old is the data?

In the last 18 months it has gotten a lot "sportier" there!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I will look more when I get home, but I bet those are older number. Try looking for numbers in the last 12 months. I bet you see that rate get a lot higher. .

AS luck would have it, I was just on the phone with a customer from Mexico City. He didn't recommend Americans traveling to Mexico right now. In fact he said that he is getting ready to leave. He is the VP of a medium sized Marketing company and fears for his and his families safety. Enough for me to not want to go.
Dom

Okay....I did ~;)

How old is the data?

Yeah '07 is the latest I can find...

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

They probably can't keep-up so, what's the use!

Chuck

Okay....I did ~;)

How old is the data?

Yeah '07 is the latest I can find...

Most of the people that think it's dangerous have never been to mexico.

Well just last weekend a corp plane broke down and the VIP's on board where not allowed to leave the protective detail or seek alternative travel arrangements. So the VIP's were stuck in Mexico at the hotel for fear of a kidnapping.

Many of us have first hand knowledge and many more have official knowledge.

Does that mean you are sure to die or get kidnapped? No, but the warnings should be listened to and considered.

Personally, I would not go to many places in MX unless I had to go, and then I would stay as low profile as possible. Some areas are fine, but even the tourist places are seeing violence

http://www.allvoices.com/contributed-news/6111426-mexico-police-found-12-corpses-in-cancun-beach

Police in the popular beach resort town in Mexico, Cancun, Friday (18 / 6), found the corpses of 12 people with signs they were tortured before being killed by drug gangs