JohnRich

UK: Preacher arrested for saying homosexuality is a sin

News:
Preacher arrested for saying homosexuality is a sin

Dale McAlpine was charged with causing “harassment, alarm or distress” after a homosexual police community support officer (PCSO) overheard him reciting a number of “sins” referred to in the Bible, including blasphemy, drunkenness and same sex relationships.

The 42-year-old Baptist, who has preached Christianity for years, said he did not mention homosexuality while delivering a sermon from the top of a stepladder, but admitted telling a passing shopper that he believed it went against the word of God.

Police officers are alleging that he made the remark in a voice loud enough to be overheard by others and have charged him with using abusive or insulting language, contrary to the Public Order Act.

Mr McAlpine, who was taken to the police station in the back of a marked van and locked in a cell for seven hours...
Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/religion/7668448/Christian-preacher-arrested-for-saying-homosexuality-is-a-sin.html

I've always felt real freedom of speech is the right to say things others really don't like.

While I really disagree with this guy, (and the KKK, the Westboro Baptists, the anti-gunners and a wide variety of others) I'm very glad that they have the right to say what they wish.

Because that means I have the right to say stuff that "they" (the generic "they") don't want to hear.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I've always felt real freedom of speech is the right to say things others really don't like.

While I really disagree with this guy, (and the KKK, the Westboro Baptists, the anti-gunners and a wide variety of others) I'm very glad that they have the right to say what they wish.

Because that means I have the right to say stuff that "they" (the generic "they") don't want to hear.

This guy needs to get ahold of the Lawyers at the Westboro Baptist church ASAP.... Birds of a feather should always be oiled together.

Police officers are alleging that he made the remark in a voice loud enough to be overheard by others and have charged him with using abusive or insulting language, contrary to the Public Order Act.

I'd have to hear for myself....not guilty.
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

News:

Dale McAlpine was charged with causing “harassment, alarm or distress” after a homosexual police community support officer (PCSO) overheard him reciting a number of “sins” referred to in the Bible, including blasphemy, drunkenness and same sex relationships.

The 42-year-old Baptist, who has preached Christianity for years, said he did not mention homosexuality while delivering a sermon from the top of a stepladder, but admitted telling a passing shopper that he believed it went against the word of God.

Mr McAlpine, who was taken to the police station in the back of a marked van and locked in a cell for seven hours...
Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/religion/7668448/Christian-preacher-arrested-for-saying-homosexuality-is-a-sin.html

Let's factor what happened here: Baptist extremist is calling people out and creating a nuisance by shouting religious rhetoric at passers by. He was disorderly and w/o a permit; he is in violation of several misdemanors.

The 1st doesn't allow you to intentionally harrass people with your beliefs, just as the 2nd dosn't allow you to own a tank. There are limits to all constitutional rights.

Baptist extremist is calling people out and creating a nuisance ***

kinda like all of us, eh?

Quite different when:

1) This is a private site, not subject to public-domain freedoms

2) You can turn off the browser if you don't like what you see, vs you cannot turn off some radical freak as you're running your errands

3) You have no legal expectation or right to anything here, in the street you do

Not even a good abstract comparison, let alone a legitimate anaology.

Let's factor what happened here: Baptist extremist is calling people out and creating a nuisance by shouting religious rhetoric at passers by. He was disorderly and w/o a permit; he is in violation of several misdemanors.

The 1st doesn't allow you to intentionally harrass people with your beliefs, just as the 2nd dosn't allow you to own a tank. There are limits to all constitutional rights.

To a large extent, the 1st really does allow you to intentionally harass people with your religious beliefs, in the US.
Standing on a public sidewalk and shouting out religious rhetoric at passers-by is not only Constitutionally-protected speech, it's a time honored tradition. The man would have had to have been causing a HUGE traffic obstruction and disruption; otherwise a large body of appellate caselaw all over the US on these types of cases shows that his "disorderly conduct" case would ultimately get tossed out of court, especially if it reached the appellate level.

News:

Which is why I stand against the UK form and style of government advancing in the U.S.A. Those people are influencing our leaders over here and I believe they should be obstructed.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

To a large extent, the 1st really does allow you to intentionally harass people with your religious beliefs, in the US.
Standing on a public sidewalk and shouting out religious rhetoric at passers-by is not only Constitutionally-protected speech, it's a time honored tradition. The man would have had to have been causing a HUGE traffic obstruction and disruption; otherwise a large body of appellate caselaw all over the US on these types of cases shows that his "disorderly conduct" case would ultimately get tossed out of court, especially if it reached the appellate level.

Since these are misdemeanors, a cop can charge and a lower kangaroo court judge, who mostly aren't even lawyers, can convict. These cases are pure discretion, you cannot yell at people, be overly demonstrative and must disperse once told so by a cop. These are purely discretionary and arbitrary when it comes to court time.

homosexual police community support officer (PCSO)

You have GOT to be kidding me...>:(

I am not following you. The above quote is not my words. I do not advocate for such an office.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

News:

I disagree. Although I don't think homosexuality is a sin, I also don't think the state has any business judging or prosecuting religious teachings. Now IF this preacher had been inciting people (hypothetically) to follow him and burn down a gay bar, I could see arresting him on the spot for the offense of inciting a riot or other illegal acts. But for preaching that gays sin against God ? Even though I disagree with that, it's as clear a religious freedom case as you can make - and I'd bet a lot of gay lawyers would agree.

I hate the bastards who picket funerals, "giving thanks" for IEDs. I still think there's some Constitutional way to shut that bullshit down (or maybe give the bastards a taste of a real IED themselves.....).

But this preacher can only feel more justified and resolved in his faith for having suffered persecution for it. A lot of Paul's letters in the New Testament were written from prisons, so they're not discouraging this guy in the least.

England has no Constitution as we know it, and they regularly circumvent their own subjects' rights. It's why we sent them packing 234 years ago.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

I hate the bastards who picket funerals, "giving thanks" for IEDs. I still think there's some Constitutional way to shut that bullshit down

See Patriot Guard Riders (I am a member):

http://www.patriotguard.org/

England has no Constitution as we know it, and they regularly circumvent their own subjects' rights. It's why we sent them packing 234 years ago.

Amen!

+1... I may not agree with what the guy said, but he has a right to say it just like I have a right to say something that he would equally disagree with. It's only fair.
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

Since these are misdemeanors, a cop can charge and a lower kangaroo court judge, who mostly aren't even lawyers, can convict. These cases are pure discretion, you cannot yell at people, be overly demonstrative and must disperse once told so by a cop. These are purely discretionary and arbitrary when it comes to court time.

I stand by my post. I'm not going to keep repeating it.

I take it you believe homosexuals should not be allowed to be police officers (or "police community support officers", whatever that is)? What other professions do you think should be forbidden based on sexual orientation? Would you refuse to be treated by a gay doctor?

Don

News:

Which is why I stand against the UK form and style of government advancing in the U.S.A. Those people are influencing our leaders over here and I believe they should be obstructed.

Bloody hell, its ground hog day
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I am not following you. The above quote is not my words. I do not advocate for such an office.

I realise that...I just can;t believe such an Office exsist, ...ya think they might go out na dLOOK for trouble?

Now soemone is arrested for speaking their beliefs? Just because some gay asshoel got offended?

News:

I disagree. Although I don't think homosexuality is a sin, I also don't think the state has any business judging or prosecuting religious teachings. Now IF this preacher had been inciting people (hypothetically) to follow him and burn down a gay bar, I could see arresting him on the spot for the offense of inciting a riot or other illegal acts. But for preaching that gays sin against God ? Even though I disagree with that, it's as clear a religious freedom case as you can make - and I'd bet a lot of gay lawyers would agree.

I hate the bastards who picket funerals, "giving thanks" for IEDs. I still think there's some Constitutional way to shut that bullshit down (or maybe give the bastards a taste of a real IED themselves.....).

But this preacher can only feel more justified and resolved in his faith for having suffered persecution for it. A lot of Paul's letters in the New Testament were written from prisons, so they're not discouraging this guy in the least.

That is why I am a member of the "Patriot Gaurd Riders" We proetct the families from those assholes, and stand flag lines at any militarty funerl we are Invited to!

Check us out at: http://socalpgr.org/SoCalPGR/Join_Our_Mission.html
We have chapters in Every state, and you DO NOT need to be a biker to join us!

I realise that...I just can;t believe such an Office exsist, ...ya think they might go out na dLOOK for trouble?

Now soemone is arrested for speaking their beliefs? Just because some gay asshoel got offended?

Ahh! Thanks for the clarification.

It is my understanding that the same restrictions on free speech exist in Canada as well.