turtlespeed

Why does Mexico encourage immigration into the US?

I was going to make this a poll. I decided that it would taint the answers.

Why do you think that the Mexican govenment encourages immigration?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

More economic opportunity.

People working in U.S. send remittances to their family in Mexico.

Having a bunch of people w/ very poor economic prospects sitting around is not good for societal stability--some level of immigration helps ease the pressure.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Having a bunch of people w/ very poor economic prospects sitting around is not good for societal stability--some level of immigration helps ease the pressure.

So logically, all those that are in favor of the Mexican influx of immigrants, and the Mexican goverments support of illegal immigration, they are actually in favor of making Mexico our next welfare project.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

So logically, all those that are in favor of the Mexican influx of immigrants, and the Mexican goverments support of illegal immigration, they are actually in favor of making Mexico our next welfare project.

Reconquista.... they wanna kick some ass in Tejas this time.

La Raza!!!
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Political influence, for one thing. The more people with Mexican roots, the more influence Mexico has on US politics. And that, used correctly, can help Mexico meet its own foreign policy objectives.

Nice valid point.

Do you think this has More or Less to do with the iflux of American capital?

Why do you think that the Mexican government encourages immigration?

The real question is not why the Mexican government encourages immigration, but why the Mexican government encourages illegal immigration given that NAFTA opens avenues for legal immigration for Mexican citizens that did not previously exist and still don't exist for most countries.
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

Let me just toss this out there as an idea to chew on. Or chew up, as people may well disagree strongly with this suggestion. It seems clear that the basic reason behind the illegal immingration problem is that Mexico's economy is in such a shambles that people there cannot find sufficient work to support themselves and their families. They come here (illegally in many cases) because they want to work. Would the best way to fix our immigation problem be to spend some $$ to help jumpstart Mexico's economy, and remove the primary incentive for illegal immigration? In other words, would "making Mexico our next welfare project" ultimately help to secure our borders? I completely understand that America is a bit short on cash right now, but my view is that this is the only real long-term solution to the immigration problem. Heightened border enforcement, walls, laws like Arizona's are short-term fixes at best in my opinion. If we really want the illegal immigration problem to get better, we've got to help Mexio out of the mess it is in. This ought to be a long-term priority of the USA's.

Some of us kick back!

chuck

I completely understand that America is a bit short on cash right now,

Are you going for the understatement of the year award?:ph34r:

This ought to be a long-term priority of the USA's.

Why is it our responsibility?

>Do you think this has More or Less to do with the iflux of American capital?

It doesn't have much to do with it directly IMO. The Mexican government isn't getting any money directly from Mexican immigrants in the US. However, it can be a powerful political tool indirectly, and that can lead to greater investment in Mexico. Maquiladoras are an obvious example, and it's reasonable to assume that increasing the number of people in Texas with Mexican roots could provide political pressure to allow such ventures.

In other words, would "making Mexico our next welfare project" ultimately help to secure our borders...

We have a co-dependent relationship with Mexico that needs to end. We need to sit down with Mexico and solve this problem. We need to make it clear that, although we may be able to help in certain ways (eg making it easier for certain Mexicans to stay legally), any such assistance will be dependent on certain behavior in Mexico stopping.

Mexico has to stop encouraging illegal immigration and they need to stop the drug trade on the border.

With every privilege comes responsibility. Mexico and Mexicans seem to be insisting on greater privileges in the USA. We need to have a tough talk with Mexico about the responsibilities that will be expected if such privileges are granted.
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

We've poured a lot of money into Mexico. For example, we trained their people and supplied weapons to help them fight the drug cartels. The drug cartels made better offers to those we trained and they now work for the cartels. As crooked as their political system is, we'd just be pouring good money after bad. I think, the Mexican government just doesn't want to have to deal with their people in the poorer sections of their country. Shove them off on us... problem solved.

Chuck

It seems clear that the basic reason behind the illegal immingration problem is that Mexico's [S]economy[/S] drug trade is in such a shambles that people there cannot find sufficient work yayo to support themselves and their families.

Fixed it for ya ;)
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

>We have a co-dependent relationship with Mexico that needs to end.

I have no problem with us depending on Mexico and vice versa. We do that globally with many countries; Mexico is a far better codependent than (say) China. Both Mexico and the US benefit from that relationship.

>We need to make it clear that, although we may be able to help in
>certain ways (eg making it easier for certain Mexicans to stay legally)

Agreed.

>any such assistance will be dependent on certain behavior in Mexico
>stopping.

Well, it can't be dependent. We can't stop drugs in our own country; it's unreasonable to expect other countries to do what we cannot.

(Although I do agree that we need to work together a lot more on the problem.)

As crooked as their political system is, we'd just be pouring good money after bad.

I agree and a sense of deja vu is part of why I have a tough attitude towards illegal immigration even though I'm a liberal Democrat in most other respects.

We've already tried amnesty once (in 1986) but it was supposed to be a one shot deal. If we do it again, we will send a strong message internationally that all you need to do is game the system for awhile and every generation or so everyone gets legalized. That's a terrible message to be sending if we want to be taken seriously internationally.

(Although I do agree that we need to work together a lot more on the problem.)

This is my core point.

There seems to be a sense that--although immigrants from Mexico and other countries with high illegal immigration rates may play a big role in this country and people's lives--the governments of the countries involved seem to be almost invisible in this debate.

I'm not sure why that is but it makes the whole debate a little strange when you think about it, especially when we do have the NAFTA agreement so we seem to be able to sit down with Mexico and negotiate sometimes.

>There seems to be a sense that--although immigrants from Mexico and
>other countries with high illegal immigration rates may play a big role in
>this country and people's lives--the governments of the countries
>involved seem to be almost invisible in this debate.

You think? There seems to be a LOT of discussion over the role of government in immigration. Heck, Arizona just passed a law about it.

Government certainly does have a role in regulating immigration, but I don't think Mexico can stop people from leaving Mexico illegally any more easily than we can stop them from coming in.

Maybe it's because they encourage immigration South of their border.

We all know, that Mexico doesn't profile individuals coming from other countries illegally. They unlike the US make every effort in providing them with jobs, healthcare, housing...they don't even ask to see your papers.:P

You think? There seems to be a LOT of discussion over the role of government in immigration. Heck, Arizona just passed a law about it.

I mean that we don't seem to hear much about the positions of, first, the government of Mexico and to a lesser extent the governments of other nations further south in this regard.

Perhaps that is a failing of the English speaking press in this country--I'm not sure--maybe there is a high level debate going on but we don't hear much about it.

I mean that we don't seem to hear much about the positions of, first, the government of Mexico and to a lesser extent the governments of other nations further south in this regard.

Perhaps that is a failing of the English speaking press in this country--I'm not sure--maybe there is a high level debate going on but we don't hear much about it.

The UN commented that it was a racial move for AZ to make that law.

Personally - the UN can suck my cock.:)

It should read "encourage illegal immigration to the US".

They don't give a damn about US laws.

The Mexican government (to say the least) is not very effective in supporting its citizens.

If they didn't ship 'em to the north, the Mexican goverment would be overthrown.

Want to see a country implode?
Now that should be a polling question.

Don't go away mad....just go away!

As crooked as their political system is, we'd just be pouring good money after bad.

I agree and a sense of deja vu is part of why I have a tough attitude towards illegal immigration even though I'm a liberal Democrat in most other respects.

We've already tried amnesty once (in 1986) but it was supposed to be a one shot deal. If we do it again, we will send a strong message internationally that all you need to do is game the system for awhile and every generation or so everyone gets legalized. That's a terrible message to be sending if we want to be taken seriously internationally.

Excellent point! Bottom line... it's true. Of course, the bleeding hearts feel we should just let them all in but, at the rate our population is growing, we can't handle the strain. Besides, it is not our position to take care of the world and be taken for a bunch of suckers.

Chuck