Rstanley0312

This economic recovery....

... is going so well. Like Lucky said.... look at that market. :S

Markets being propped up by "hope" will never hold.
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

You must be referring to the new jobless claims...

...or Germany's ban on certain types of trading that is also jamming the market up...

I don't catch much CNBC, but this is a left field take: http://www.cnbc.com/id/37233453 I understand the "need" for another collapse, but I don't understand his "adult" talk ... :S

So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

You must be referring to the new jobless claims...

...or Germany's ban on certain types of trading that is also jamming the market up...

I don't catch much CNBC, but this is a left field take: http://www.cnbc.com/id/37233453 I understand the "need" for another collapse, but I don't understand his "adult" talk ... :S

That is part of it.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/economy-watch/2010/05/new_weekly_jobless_claims_rise.html

He is a bit of a nut job and the Europe problem is not the only issue. Concern over our markets and our economy are driving this as well.

http://money.cnn.com/2010/05/20/markets/markets_newyork/index.htm
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.

Yup, I'll believe the "recovery" when I see it...not holding breathe though. The propaganda must stay positive instead of realistic because if any of the large creditors to the U.S. catch wind and dump us (to save themselves) it would likely start a panic/avalanche run on the dollar.
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957

Yup, I'll believe the "recovery" when I see it...not holding breathe though. The propaganda must stay positive instead of realistic because if any of the large creditors to the U.S. catch wind and dump us (to save themselves) it would likely start a panic/avalanche run on the dollar.

68.02 points away from being under 10k again. Bad news.... [:/]

A little over a year ago, we were under 7k. The fact that we've even near 10k right now, let alone were 1,000 points above it, is kinda shocking to me.

A little over a year ago, we were under 7k. The fact that we've even near 10k right now, let alone were 1,000 points above it, is kinda shocking to me.

Why?

Unemployment is the key. It's becoming more clear that this mini-recovery was due to the government dumping billions into the economy. In doing so they've actually prolonged the agony. The mess isn't really caused by the government and the fix won't come from the government.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Unemployment is the key. It's becoming more clear that this mini-recovery was due to the government dumping billions into the economy. In doing so they've actually prolonged the agony. The mess isn't really caused by the government and the fix won't come from the government.

On the whole I'd prefer the govt. to dump billions into the economy than a trillion into a war fought under false pretenses, or billions into bailing out rich bankers who brought us the recession in the first place.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

On the whole I'd prefer the govt. to dump billions into the economy than a trillion into a war fought under false pretenses, or billions into bailing out rich bankers who brought us the recession in the first place.

Two false premises in a row

Way to go
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

On the whole I'd prefer the govt. to dump billions 3x trillions into the economy than a trillion into a war fought under false pretenses, or billions into bailing out rich bankers who brought us the recession in the first place.

Afghanistan is part of that trillion...that was false? 9/11 and AQ didn't happen? I'll concede that Iraq was an "option", but in terms of return on investment, Afghanistan and Iraq are a bargain.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

You don't get that choice, or preference. We've gotten all of it.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

>Two false premises in a row

From the previous poster:

" It's becoming more clear that this mini-recovery was due to the government dumping billions into the economy."

Might want to take that up with him; he seems to disagree with you.

>Two false premises in a row

From the previous poster:

" It's becoming more clear that this mini-recovery was due to the government dumping billions into the economy."

Might want to take that up with him; he seems to disagree with you.

No thanks
replying to kallends post not this one
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

I would prefer than none of the above happen bc none of them are beneficial!

Since you seem to tie the recovery to the level of the Dow:

What does the Dow have to do for you to say there is a recovery underway?

No I don't but it is a piece of the puzzle. Lucky liked to tie the recovery to the dow. Which was great when it was going up but I'm sure now Lucky will not be citing it as much.

I simply stated the DOW was being propped up by smoke and mirrors.

Recovery has to do with unemployment, various sectors that are extremely important to recover, and of course the debt to come down.

The market simply reflects all of thos things.

Speaking of Lucky, where's he been?

Who cares? His absence is welcome, regardless of the reasons.

Shhh...it's the weekends when he gets his pass.

>:(God, I hope not![:/]
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I notice a lot of doublespeak when it comes to the economy.

For example, I heard someone on CNBC (forget who) saying that the "economic recovery is strong" but for now people just need to "tread water".

Most people, I suspect, wouldn't notice the contradiction but it is obvious to me. You only get a recovery when people are willing to take risks. If everyone is just "treading water"--ie waiting for others to take the first risk--then there won't be an economic recovery.
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

... is going so well. Like Lucky said.... look at that market. :S

If the US of A were to balance trade, and then to export an extra $1,000 a month worth of goods and services for every gainfully employed citizen, it would take half a century for us to be out of debt - not blood likely.

As it stands, if we were to find ourselves without foreign subsidies and thus forced to operate on a pay-as-you-go basis, our way of life would implode in minutes. Functioning on 4.7 million barrels a day? Right. How about buying sneakers, jeans and a tee shirt made here? Sure.

We have been living on the basis of charging whatever we want for a generation, and there is not a thing anyone could do to have things "return to normal" in the forseeable future. "Normal" for us is another way of saying "living beyond our means."

We are beyond the tipping point, and my guess is that it will be a crisis on the part of our creditors that will bring things to a head. The moment other countries quit buying our debt and try to cash in, we're hosed - big time.

We are in the early stages of an era that will have us looking at the '30s as the "Pretty Good Depression."

What we are calling a recovery is akin the medical condition of Terri Schiavo or Karen Ann Quinlain. The situation may be stable, after a fashion, but the idea that the patient is going to get up and start dancing is ludicrous. The outcome is a given; the only question is when and how bad.

I wish I was wrong, but I'm not.

BSBD,

Winsor

Any reports of economic recovery are lies.

Being in the aviation business for over 35 years and having been through at least 3 recessions, nothing compares to what is going on now.

The last 3 years have been pretty bad as far as airplanes sales, but since owners must have an annual inspection on their planes as part of the airworthiness requirements, the maintenance industry didn't suffer all that much.

Even that is changing now. Many owners are letting their planes turn into "hanger queens" or "high grass planes" for those who keep them outside. They just can't afford the typical costs associated with ownership.

My insurance agent recently told me that half of the owners of aircraft he previously covered were not renewing their policies or changing to only ground coverages.

Its pretty bad out there:(

You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime