turtlespeed

I have come to the conclusion . . .

Ah
Polls have shown consistantly for decades that people in the US self identify as right of center..

Not this one, unless of course you're assuming that independents are righties. Seems kinda strange though that the elections with the highest turnout typically favor the left winged candidate.
However considering that today's democrats are actually "republican-lite", you may have a point.

Not a change in direction but a hint at a serious flaw in your statement.

I'll try and help you out. Just exactly how do you think centre is established?

As the central area between the viewpoints of two opposing political parties, as opposed to the 'mob rule' viewpoint that you and kallend seem to think it is (a serious flaw).
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

As the central area between the viewpoints of two opposing political parties, as opposed to the 'mob rule' viewpoint that you and kallend seem to think it is (a serious flaw).

Wow, really? How does that work in a multi party environment?

What we have today is an agenda driven admin that knows they do not have the support of the majority of the people to do what they are doing. HC is the best example.

It's a false binary thought argument. You're making the mistake of thinking that not supporting the health care bill in it's current state means that people were siding with the right wing argument. Most people wanted a public option and were pissed that they didn't get it. Same goes for support for Obama. He's been solidly centrist. That pisses off a lot of folks on the left however that by no means translates to support for the right. It will just mean that the alienated left will fail to go to the polls. Virginia is a great example. 76% turnout and major Democratic gains in the 2008 election. A year later the left fields a pretty boring candidate, we get 38% voter turnout and the Republican wins. Contrary to what the rabid right shouts, that there was a some sort of radical shift to the conservative side, the reality is that the right voted, the left didn't in this consistently purple state.

Wow, really?

Yeah, really.

How does that work in a multi party environment?

With the oddball candidate pulling votes away from one or the other of the 'regular' candidates.

While I've answered your questions as if they were serious, is there a *reason* for the pretense of idiocy, or do you actually think you're being clever?
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

The way I see it is, Liberals and Dimonocrats are the sheep and the
Republicans are the shepherds.
when the sheperd goes off to lunch, the sheep come out to play.
But the good republican shepherd always returns to guard his wayward flock

Gone fishing

With the oddball candidate pulling votes away from one or the other of the 'regular' candidates.

Why are you equating a multi party environement with "oddball candidate"?

The Netherlands for instance has at least 4 to 5 mainstream political parties, not oddball candidates. So, how does the centre get established in that environment?

What we have today is an agenda driven admin that knows they do not have the support of the majority of the people to do what they are doing. HC is the best example.

It's a false binary thought argument. You're making the mistake of thinking that not supporting the health care bill in it's current state means that people were siding with the right wing argument. Most people wanted a public option and were pissed that they didn't get it. Same goes for support for Obama. He's been solidly centrist. That pisses off a lot of folks on the left however that by no means translates to support for the right. It will just mean that the alienated left will fail to go to the polls. Virginia is a great example. 76% turnout and major Democratic gains in the 2008 election. A year later the left fields a pretty boring candidate, we get 38% voter turnout and the Republican wins. Contrary to what the rabid right shouts, that there was a some sort of radical shift to the conservative side, the reality is that the right voted, the left didn't in this consistently purple state.

Dont confuse this post with another
Re-read what I posted here as did not say or imply any of what you suggest here
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Some people just like stirring the pot :)
Sometimes it's kind of like bobbing for turds

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Some people just like stirring the pot :)
Sometimes it's kind of like bobbing for turds

Wendy P.

And I have seen you stir the pot before too, Miss Wendy. It is always entertaining too.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Why are you equating a multi party environement with "oddball candidate"?

The Netherlands for instance has at least 4 to 5 mainstream political parties, not oddball candidates. So, how does the centre get established in that environment?

We're speaking of the political situation in the US, not the Netherlands - *do* try to keep up.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

The way I see it is, Liberals and Dimonocrats are the sheep and the
Republicans are the shepherds.
when the sheperd goes off to lunch, the sheep come out to play.
But the good republican shepherd always returns to guard his wayward flock

What a demonstrable crock of shit.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Ah
Polls have shown consistantly for decades that people in the US self identify as right of center

I bet the average IQ is above average, too.

:D
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

We're speaking of the political situation in the US, not the Netherlands

You may be speaking of the US, but there is nothing in the OP to restrict the discussion in that way. This is an international forum, not just one for Americans. Do try to keep up.

Don

You may be speaking of the US, but there is nothing in the OP to restrict the discussion in that way. This is an international forum, not just one for Americans. Do try to keep up.

Don

I am the OP and I was speaking of the US - because - well no other country really matters.:D;)

Actually it (my ignorance in this case) is because I don't take the time to worry about other countries politics because there is just so much fucked up material here to play with.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

Don

Unfortunately (for you), rushmc (you know, the guy skydekker made his original comment to) *does* mention the US - DO try to keep up, and better luck next time.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Unfortunately (for you), rushmc (you know, the guy skydekker made his original comment to) *does* mention the US

It's not clear to me why rushmc should get to define the limits of the discussion any more than anyone else does. Skydekker's question was clearly not limited to the US, and it's much more interesting than rushmc's dubious math skills. Nevertheless, since Turtle has chimed in and clarified that he intended to refer to the US, I'll agree that the political situation here is FUBAR. As much as I'm enjoying bobbing for turds with you all, it's late so goodnight and stay safe.

Don

So, uh, how'd that poll turn out?

Skewed - people that don't post, didn't answer.

I see. I see. I guess it's not possible that your statement is simply incorrect; is it?
quade -

>that when the liberals post, it must be a lot like masturbation, without a
>happy ending.

And based on the inarticulate rage and frustration I see here lately, conservative posts sometimes seem more like constipation.

More like constipation relief - We can finally get all the pent up shit out!:ph34r:

>happy ending.

And based on the inarticulate rage and frustration I see here lately, conservative posts sometimes seem more like constipation.

Your inclination for elitist and insulting comments seem more like someone with diarrhea.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

>happy ending.

Your inclination for elitist and insulting comments seem more like someone with diarrhea.

I think both you guys ought to leave the metaphors to the professionals. They're both pretty shitty.
quade -