ridestrong

Obama upset about the oil spill "blame game"... Seriously?

no, the government will prove your point for you.

Not to say that the BP run cleanup effort wasn't a CF, but I don't think the govt is going to swoop in here and save the day.

Please list the physical resources and expertise that the government has, and is withholding, for capping an oil leak a mile under the ocean.

You already asked this... BP has all the resources and equipment. But the gov't has made it pretty clear that they are calling all the shots.

As for expertise on the matter... the gov't claims to have, "over 100 experts, including Nobel Prize winner Steven Chu." There's your expertise. Oh, and lets not forget they even have Hollywood director James Cameron. :S:S
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

>As for expertise on the matter... the gov't claims to have, "over
>100 experts, including Nobel Prize winner Steven Chu."

It's so cool to hear the conservatives complain that the government is doing too little. Will be funny to hear the screeching reversal for the next issue.

>As for expertise on the matter... the gov't claims to have, "over
>100 experts, including Nobel Prize winner Steven Chu."

It's so cool to hear the conservatives complain that the government is doing too little. Will be funny to hear the screeching reversal for the next issue.

You guys are all missing the point!!!!!!!!!!

The problem here is-----------> THE GOV'T HAS ALL THE CONTROL. As Obama has said over and over. So either do some shit or get the f#@k out of the way.

>The problem here is-----------> THE GOV'T HAS ALL THE CONTROL.

Yep. And people like you are demanding they do more. Like the old adage says - be careful what you wish for, you may get it.

WRONG!.... Ideally I wish they would hand it over to the private sector so that it could be handled more efficiently and with all the proper resources and expertise. But I can see you guys will be stuck on saying that one over and over for weeks to come... more like months if the gov't continues calling the shots.

Just to be clear the only thing I really want is the govt to get the f' out of the way.

>Ideally I wish they would hand it over to the private sector so that it could
>be handled more efficiently and with all the proper resources and
>expertise.

That's what's happening now. In case you haven't noticed, all the efforts to cap the well so far have come from the private sector. How's that working so far?

>Just to be clear the only thing I really want is the govt to get the f' out of
>the way.

They did! Result - 40 million gallons leaked so far.

Would the government do any better? Almost certainly not. They don't have the expertise. But they do represent the people - and thus have a role in regulation and rulemaking that will tend to discourage (or encourage) such spills in the future.

So you're basically calling me a whiner, for other's complaints. Is that it?

You jumped into a comment I made to ridestrong, which IMHO means you agree with his position. You certainly didn't post you did not agree with any part of his position.

[
You jumped into a comment I made to ridestrong, which IMHO means you agree with his position. You certainly didn't post you did not agree with any part of his position.

perhaps, but you might also note that I didn't post that I agreed with it, and had you actually paid attention to the content of my posts between there and here you might see my position is not that the government has failed so far to clean it up, nor that they are they great savior and will save us in the coming days.

You man continue to have an opinion on what my position is (the O in IMHO) but you are at this point, wrong.
--
Rob

No - we are letting you say all this and then have to backpeddle when they take credit for ALL THEY DID . . . and over play it until we are sick.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

The big fuckup is the gov't regulatory agencies allowing these oil companies to drill without any backup plans/prebuilt equipment for these types of spill scenarios! They can't even cap a pipe! They should have not been allowed to drill if you can’t even cap a pipe! This is way above a private company! If a car company has an assembly line failure, environmental impact on US zero. But an oil company should be under the microscope of the US gov't! We didn't even regulate them! Didn't the regulators even think to ask BP "Ok what are your plans if the pipe breaks? How will you stop it? Where is your equipment? How will you contain the spill on the surface? What effects will dispersants have on the environment. If these questions aren't answered then they don't drill! Why wasn’t this top kill method simulated @ 5000ft pressures. All I hear is “well these methods have never been tired at 5000 ft before!” Well if you don’t have a way to stop a leak at 5000ft then you don’t drill! Period! How many scenarios does it take? You have a huge pipe running 5000ft to the surface. Ok what if the pipe breaks and the BOP values don’t work. What will you do? You mean we just let them drill and didn’t even have a plan for this simplest case scenario? What the hell are we even paying these gov’t regulators for? I think we have found our criminals!
After 21 years you can go up the Valdez Alaska and turn over a rock by the shoreline and find oil under it that smells like shit! The environment will not take care of it! It has become part of the environment!
Wikipedia: Exxon Valdez oil spill 10.8 million gallons
Both the long- and short-term effects of the oil spill have been studied comprehensively.[18] Thousands of animals died immediately; the best estimates include 100,000 to as many as 250,000 seabirds, at least 2,800 sea otters, approximately 12 river otters, 300 harbor seals, 247 bald eagles, and 22 orcas, as well as the destruction of billions of salmon and herring eggs.[5][19] The effects of the spill continued to be felt for many years afterwards. Overall reductions in population have been seen in various ocean animals, including stunted growth in pink salmon populations.[20] Sea otters and ducks also showed higher death rates in following years, partially because they ingested prey from contaminated soil and from ingestion of oil residues on hair due to grooming.[21]
Almost 20 years after the spill, a team of scientists at the University of North Carolina found that the effects are lasting far longer than expected.[20] The team estimates some shoreline Arctic habitats may take up to 30 years to recover.[5] Exxon Mobil denies any concerns over this, stating that they anticipated a remaining fraction that they assert will not cause any long-term ecological impacts, according to the conclusions of 350 peer-reviewed studies.[21] However, a study from scientists from the NOAA concluded that this contamination can produce chronic low-level exposure, discourage subsistence where the contamination is heavy, and decrease the "wilderness character" of the area.[16]
Deepwater Horizon oil spill: predicted could reach 100 million gallons!
The type of oil involved is also a major problem. While most of the oil drilled off of Louisiana is a lighter crude, because the leak is deep under the ocean surface the leaking oil is a heavier blend which contains asphalt-like substances, and, according to Ed Overton, who heads a federal chemical hazard assessment team for oil spills, this type of oil emulsifies well, making a "major sticky mess". Once it becomes that kind of mix, it no longer evaporates as quickly as regular oil, does not rinse off as easily, cannot be eaten by microbes as easily, and does not burn as well. "That type of mixture essentially removes all the best oil clean-up weapons", Overton and others said.[165]