ridestrong

Obama upset about the oil spill "blame game"... Seriously?

To some people, "teabagger" applied as a general term might be as offensive as "nigger" applied to the President (let's leave off the Hitler wannabe part for now).

Someone who runs is called a runner. Someone who skydives is called a skydiver. Someone who sails is a sailor. Someone who teaches is a teacher. Someone who advises is an adviser. Someone who manages is a manager.

If people describe, on their own web site, what they do as "teabagging", then they are teabaggers. That's just standard usage in the English language. I fail to see why Airman and Marc Rush disagree unless they are unaware of standard English.

So you are claiming ignorance to the implied sexual connotation of tea bagging????
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

You used the most offensive racial slur possible to describe the President of the United States, and you did it in an open, public forum. You cannot justify that in any way, shape, or form, nor can anyone else. It is now incredibly obvious to everyone who reads and interacts on this forum what kind of person you are, and what sorts of beliefs you hold. There can be no serious debate as to whether your comment was absolutely abhorrent. You have no credibility left whatsoever, and it would be best if you simply crawled back under whatever rock you came out from.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Nice try.

As I said, I do not bow at the altar of political correctness.

1) The word in question is a legitimate english-language word with a specific meaning. Look it up.

2) I used this word deliberately to illustrate a point regarding hypocrisy. Apparently, I scored a dead center.

3) My insult was directed toward someone who is destroying the economy (deliberately or not) and who has demonstrated strong totalitarian impulses.
Whether "investigating" a plumber who asked a question during a campaign stop, or threatening a "jack boot at the throat" of a private industry in response to an accident, the pattern is consistent: When these people get what they want we all lose more money and more freedom. If you don't do what a goddamn Democrat tells you to do you end up in front of a judge. If you resist you get shot by police.

The "teabagger" insult was directed toward millions of decent Americans who just want to live their lives in peace and be left alone. For whatever reason, you think they deserve to endure crude insults without the knee-jerk hyperventilating response on display elsewhere in this thread.

If you're going to dismiss facts and cling to a vacuous political fantasy simply because you don't appreciate one's choice of words, then you have no business assigning standards of "credibility."

Cheers,
Jon

To some people, "teabagger" applied as a general term might be as offensive as "nigger" applied to the President (let's leave off the Hitler wannabe part for now).

Someone who runs is called a runner. Someone who skydives is called a skydiver. Someone who sails is a sailor. Someone who teaches is a teacher. Someone who advises is an adviser. Someone who manages is a manager.

If people describe, on their own web site, what they do as "teabagging", then they are teabaggers. That's just standard usage in the English language. I fail to see why Airman and Marc Rush disagree unless they are unaware of standard English.

So you are claiming ignorance to the implied sexual connotation of tea bagging????

www.teabagbarackobama.com/

If that's how they wish to describe what they do, WHO ARE YOU TO ARGUE.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

www.teabagbarackobama.com/

If that's how they wish to describe what they do, WHO ARE YOU TO ARGUE.

You are claiming ignorance then.....
Abraham Lincoln

I don't think that anyone in this thread could say that they're ignorant of it anymore. However, if there is a significant number of Tea Party sympathizers who use the term to describe what they do, then it's probably not unfair for liberals to use the term to describe what they do.

Kind of like how a lot of conservatives call all liberals stupid, unpatriotic, or any one of a number of things.

If people are going to set themselves up like this (and I really, really like how the website John linked said they were "manufacturing anger" [:/] -- boy now there's something to be proud of), then they can't really object too much if someone uses it.

I'd say that the official Tea Party members probably ought to start gently suggesting to members who use the term that "teabag" is not an acceptable term to associate with the party. It worked for the pro-lifers -- they used to be called "anti-abortion" and only people trying to make a point use that term any more. But it takes discipline and the group pulling together.

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I don't think that anyone in this thread could say that they're ignorant of it anymore. However, if there is a significant number of Tea Party sympathizers who use the term to describe what they do, then it's probably not unfair for liberals to use the term to describe what they do.

Kind of like how a lot of conservatives call all liberals stupid, unpatriotic, or any one of a number of things.

If people are going to set themselves up like this (and I really, really like how the website John linked said they were "manufacturing anger" [:/] -- boy now there's something to be proud of), then they can't really object too much if someone uses it.

I'd say that the official Tea Party members probably ought to start gently suggesting to members who use the term that "teabag" is not an acceptable term to associate with the party. It worked for the pro-lifers -- they used to be called "anti-abortion" and only people trying to make a point use that term any more. But it takes discipline and the group pulling together.

Wendy P.

Wendy
That same logic could then be used about the n word.
Ever been around group of black people and listened to them in casual conversation? It seems that it is every other word is the n word. (Been with my brother in law in Omaha where he is a Fed probations officer) So, I guess by the logic you use the n word is fair game? (rhetorical)

As for the web site
be careful
there is a concerted effort by those against the TP movement to find ways to discredit it. I have not looked at the web as I tend to look at very little of anything he posts anymore because it is a waste of time but I wounder. Because of your reply I will take a peek but my guess is it is something else.

But there are nuts on both sides. Just look at what can be found here:)
Abraham Lincoln

Ever been around group of black people and listened to them in casual conversation? It seems that it is every other word is the n word. (Been with my brother in law in Omaha where he is a Fed probations officer) So, I guess by the logic you use the n word is fair game? (rhetorical)

You make a compelling point there. And, like the pro-life movement (which used to be called "anti-abortion"), it takes consistent reinforcement of the desired behavior. That's been reinforced with "nigger" for most of us who aren't black. It hasn't yet with "teabagger." But, ya know -- if people keep calmly asserting that they find it offensive, and they refrain from using offensive terms about others (like "stupid liberals") then it'll go away slowly. Nothing happens quickly in public, does it.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

You make a compelling point there. And, like the pro-life movement (which used to be called "anti-abortion"), it takes consistent reinforcement of the desired behavior. That's been reinforced with "nigger" for most of us who aren't black. It hasn't yet with "teabagger." But, ya know -- if people keep calmly asserting that they find it offensive, and they refrain from using offensive terms about others (like "stupid liberals") then it'll go away slowly. Nothing happens quickly in public, does it.

Wendy P.

Your point is even better.
We all need to stop using words as ammo to support any agenda especially a PC agenda.

One can chose to be offened if one wants to be. I would just as soon be disgusted by those who use "offensive" terms and offended by those who use political correctness words to stiffle free speech
Abraham Lincoln

Ever been around group of black people and listened to them in casual conversation?

Yes, very frequently. My step son has a black father and we are all on very good terms. Within that family and their friends, nobody has ever said nigger.

Which follows the point. It varies from group to group, region to region, town to town. So, who decides when it is ok and when it is not? Who decides which group can use a word and which can not?

As far as being offensive? Everyone must decide for themselves if they will give others the power to offend them
Abraham Lincoln

Which follows the point. It varies from group to group, region to region, town to town. So, who decides when it is ok and when it is not? Who decides which group can use a word and which can not?

You can use any word you want, assuming you don't have a speech impediment and you have the means to back up what you are saying.

I think the majority of people know that nigger is offensive, even though some people say it. Same goes for fuck, asshole, cunt etc.

The pendulum swings the other way too. The word "brother" is not considered offensive by most people. I can think of multiple situations where the use of that word will land you in the hospital.

You can use any word you want, assuming you don't have a speech impediment and you have the means to back up what you are saying.

I think the majority of people know that nigger is offensive, even though some people say it. Same goes for fuck, asshole, cunt etc.

The pendulum swings the other way too. The word "brother" is not considered offensive by most people. I can think of multiple situations where the use of that word will land you in the hospital.

All good points
So what is the answer?
Abraham Lincoln

I like the answer Wendy stated twice so far.

I dont know if she gave an answer as much as a way to avoid the conflict

And to avoid the conflict one must then bow to the thought police/word cops.

While I tend to do it, I dont think it is right or the answer
Abraham Lincoln

All good points
So what is the answer?

The answer is actually very simple. RESPECT!

Acknowledge the fact that something may be offensive to other people that think differently from you. If there is a less offensive way to say it, why not use the less offensive. Show a little respect. Unfortunately, there is very little of that in this and similar threads.

Now, in the case of what airman said, he did it intentionally to be disrespectful. His statement was disgusting and shows a lot about his character. The fact that he said it about the POTUS says even more. Like it or not, he is the POTUS and to say something like that shows a complete lack of respect not just for the man, but the office and the country. Now, you can point to all of the horrible things said about President Bush, but the "they did it first" defense doesn't make him look any better.
Time flies like an arrow....fruit flies like a banana

Nothing happens quickly in public, does it.

Not when you are trying to undo something that is done.

It took a very short time for everyone to start calling them Teabaggers, it will take MUCH longer, and it possibly is impossible to completely get them to stop using the term.

My thoughts - Sorry guys - you coined the term yourselves - deal with it or rage a big PR move to get it stopped.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I dont know if she gave an answer as much as a way to avoid the conflict

And to avoid the conflict one must then bow to the thought police/word cops.

Not at all. there was no conflict in changing from anti-abortion to pro-life. No thought or word police was involved. Just an organization/movement that decided that for PR reasons they were better off with a different term.

In the end you can say whatever you want, just be ready to deal with the consequences.

My thoughts - Sorry guys - you coined the term yourselves - deal with it or rage a big PR move to get it stopped.

Yeppir

Wendy P.

Acknowledge the fact that something may be offensive to other people that think differently from you. If there is a less offensive way to say it, why not use the less offensive.

Good post. I don't assume that each and every person I deal with has to earn respect from me, personally -- basic respect is something that you lose, not earn.

There's always additional respect out there -- it's kind of like love, you can always find some to add when it's needed.

Wendy P.

All good points
So what is the answer?

Acknowledge the fact that something may be offensive to other people that think differently from you. If there is a less offensive way to say it, why not use the less offensive. Show a little respect. Unfortunately, there is very little of that in this and similar threads.

Now, in the case of what airman said, he did it intentionally to be disrespectful. His statement was disgusting and shows a lot about his character. The fact that he said it about the POTUS says even more. Like it or not, he is the POTUS and to say something like that shows a complete lack of respect not just for the man, but the office and the country. Now, you can point to all of the horrible things said about President Bush, but the "they did it first" defense doesn't make him look any better.

That is part of it but it works both ways.

Do you respect some one or some group to the point of tempering your language so as not to offend? Sure you can. But if this respect is demanded does that make it right? There are some very thin skinned out there

But how about the respect for someone who choses to use words you dont like? After all free speech is a right that we should all respect dont you think? Not sayin you have to like it or agree with it but, you chose whether or not you let some one offend you. Only you have that power
Abraham Lincoln

Nothing happens quickly in public, does it.

Not when you are trying to undo something that is done.

It took a very short time for everyone to start calling them Teabaggers, it will take MUCH longer, and it possibly is impossible to completely get them to stop using the term.

Hey... I just thought they were being honest about thier sex lives for once.... since most of them hail from the rePUBIClown ranks, and we have ALL seen how that has gone for them the last few years of do as I say.. not as I do and get caught doing it:S:S

But how about the respect for someone who choses to use words you dont like? After all free speech is a right that we should all respect dont you think? Not sayin you have to like it or agree with it but, you chose whether or not you let some one offend you. Only you have that power

I can choose whether or not to be offended by it, but a lot of that has to do with the context or intent. If you know that what you are going to say is going to offend someone and you choose to say it anyway that is your right. If there was no way to say it other than the offensive way then so be it. But, if you could have said the same thing in a way that wasn't as offensive and yet you chose to go the offensive route well then my level of respect for you just went way down and I will think much less of you. That doesn't mean you shouldn't be allowed to say it. It just means that I may react to that in a negative way and you shouldn't be surprised when I do.

I can choose whether or not to be offended by it, but a lot of that has to do with the context or intent. If you know that what you are going to say is going to offend someone and you choose to say it anyway that is your right. If there was no way to say it other than the offensive way then so be it. But, if you could have said the same thing in a way that wasn't as offensive and yet you chose to go the offensive route well then my level of respect for you just went way down and I will think much less of you. That doesn't mean you shouldn't be allowed to say it. It just means that I may react to that in a negative way and you shouldn't be surprised when I do.

So basicly, (I do not want to put words in your mouth) you do not respect someone elses words if you chose to be ofended by them. And to that end you defend ones right to use violence in such cases?

Or explain to me what you mean by negative.
Abraham Lincoln

So basicly, (I do not want to put words in your mouth) you do not respect someone elses words if you chose to be ofended by them. And to that end you defend ones right to use violence in such cases?

Wow, I am really not sure how you got that from what I said. First of all, I said that if you COULD say something in a less offensive way but CHOSE to use the offensive way knowing that it would be offensive then I have a problem with that. Sorry, but if someone is going to intentionally try to be offensive I am going to lose respect for them. As for advocation violence, I did nothing of the sort. I said you shouldn't be surprised by a negative reaction. A negative reaction in no way implies or requires violence. I tend to ignore and avoid people I don't respect.