ridestrong

Obama upset about the oil spill "blame game"... Seriously?

You should read those statement more carefully.

"This notion that somehow the federal government is sitting on the sideline for the last three or four or five weeks, we've just been letting BP make a whole bunch of decisions, is simply not true."

Doews not say that the Feds are calling the shots, it says that they are not uninvolved.

...if "BP's contractors are not moving as nimbly or effectively as they need to be, then it is already the power of the federal government to redirect those resources."

Does not say that either side is calling the shots, only that the government has the authority to redirect resources if it so desires. It certainly doesn't imply that BP is solely in charge.

...BP has emergency contracts on hand in the event of an oil spill, Obama says, and "their job is to activate those and start paying them."

That doesn't say anything about who's calling the shots, only that BP should be erady to deal with an emergency, and execute when the emergency happens.

None of those statements are mutually exclusive or contradictory.

- Dan G

Unlike you I can only pass judgement based on what is being said and done. Here in the states we're basically fucked because the feds don't have any better way of handling this than BP does, and that is to say not much.

I guess what gauls me is to hear Obama try and sound as if he's on this. Bullshit...nobody's on it. BP still has the best motivation to fix the problem.

So we're forced to sit back and watch BP do it's level best to fix this. Repercussions? All the way down the line including BP and the feds. Just a little too soon to start those hearings.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

>Except timely sweeper tankers, approval for barriers that were
>requested weeks ago, continued use of toxic chemicals by BP . . .

Yep. And if things hadn't gone that way, your post would have read "except for functioning sweeper tankers, the use of faulty and hastily constructed barriers, and the banning of dispersants that could have cleaned up the mess."

The only consistent thing we'll see from the right wing on this one is "it's Obama's fault."

I don't blame Obama at all... I'm just sick of hearing him tell the public, 'how it is', when everyone can see that what he's saying isn't the truth. Only now even the left wing media is beating him up on this one.
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

How long have they been n the business of drilling anf how much money have themde off it.

This scenario is easily predicted but the action plan was not fullproof, it failed an now the ecology of the gulf of mexico is bearing the brunt.

If anything this shows the importance of having fullproof action plans.

If any industry can afford the R& D it is the oil industry.

this whole thing makes me livid!

It will be interesting to see what the outcome is.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

>Except timely sweeper tankers, approval for barriers that were
>requested weeks ago, continued use of toxic chemicals by BP . . .

Yep. And if things hadn't gone that way, your post would have read "except for functioning sweeper tankers, the use of faulty and hastily constructed barriers, and the banning of dispersants that could have cleaned up the mess."

The only consistent thing we'll see from the right wing on this one is "it's Obama's fault."

it's long past time to stop playing the blame game, or even pointing fingers at people claiming they're playing the blame game.

too much bitchin' going on. (yeah.. I'm bitchin' about the bitchin!)
--
Rob

Yep, its official... Even Chris Mathews bashed Obama today regarding his response to this cluster fuck. So did James Carville. But Obama has no problem tell you and I that their doing everything they can.

Yep, its official... Even Chris Mathews bashed Obama today regarding his response to this cluster fuck. So did James Carville. But Obama has no problem tell you and I that their doing everything they can.

What resources does the federal govt. have to deal with oil leaks thousands of feet under the ocean?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

DAYUM..... we need to get NAVY 1 primed STAT......so the conservatives can quit whining and can get Obama to the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico so he can Top Kill that fucker himself

What resources does the federal govt. have to deal with oil leaks thousands of feet under the ocean?

Anything and everything that might be available to the govt. and the oil companies etc...

Obama quote: 'Nobody will do anything without our command or approval, we are calling all the shots and the buck stops with me.'

this whole thing makes me livid!

What makes me livid, is that fact that there's just as much oil 5 miles off the coast, in 100-200' of water, but we are so worried about our precious tourist dollars-just a sorry excuse, by the environmentalists, not to drill, at all,- that sorme tourist might have their eye offended, by the sight of a drilling rig.
This mess, even if it did happen, in shallow water, could have been contained, and stopped, in short order.

Looks like the environmentalist mentallity has come back to bite them, in their own ass.

Why are all you right wingers wanting the federal Government to deal with this. I thought you guys wanted less involvement by government, not mor einvolvement by government.

BP is a big company, no need to regulate anything, capitalism will take care of it. Obviously customers will stop buying oil from BP.

Those hurt by the occurance can file claims through the judicial system.

It is interesting to see those who yell the most for government to get out of their business are the first to cry for the government to do something.

And of course, drilling in Alaska is still a wonderful idea. What could possibly go wrong.....

>What makes me livid, is that fact that there's just as much oil 5 miles off
>the coast, in 100-200' of water, but we are so worried about our precious
>tourist dollars . , ,

Yep. When you lose your restaurant, your charter boat, your job, your house or your life savings, people worry about that. You may have enough money that you never need worry about working for a living if your industry collapses, but many people do not have that luxury.

>This mess, even if it did happen, in shallow water, could have been
>contained, and stopped, in short order.

Funny, it seems like only yesterday that oil companies were touting how safe their deepwater drilling processes were. Now shallow drilling is safer. Something tells me people won't be so eager to believe oil company claims about how safe any sort of drilling is. (Especially given that the third largest oil leak ever came from a well in 160 feet of water that took 10 months to cap.)

>Looks like the environmentalist mentallity has come back to bite them,
>in their own ass.

Oh, I thin the "environmentalist mentality" that protested that offshore drilling is dangerous just got a big credibility boost.

Why are all you right wingers wanting the federal Government to deal with this. I thought you guys wanted less involvement by government, not mor einvolvement by government.

BP is a big company, no need to regulate anything, capitalism will take care of it. Obviously customers will stop buying oil from BP.

Those hurt by the occurance can file claims through the judicial system.

It is interesting to see those who yell the most for government to get out of their business are the first to cry for the government to do something.

And of course, drilling in Alaska is still a wonderful idea. What could possibly go wrong.....

Dude, you got it all wrong. THIS is not even close to the govt and it's involvement in everyday captitalism. This is about a big fuck up by BP that has turned into a disaster for the Gulf Coast and many affected states. Many of these states can't act without certain approvals/ok's by the fed gov't.

The fed is already "regulating" the safety requirements of off-shore drilling, so we may as well at least call for them to do it right. The gov't also needs to conduct this clean up to be done as quickly and effectively as possible, to be paid for by BP.

The fed is already "regulating" the safety requirements of off-shore drilling, so we may as well at least call for them to do it right.

I guess that's why MMS has issued 27 *more* waivers for environmental impact studies since Deepwater Horizon blew.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

The gov't also needs to conduct this clean up to be done as quickly and effectively as possible, to be paid for by BP.

I though everything was bad when the government is involved? Now you want them involved because you want it cleaned as quickly and effectively as possible....

Thank you for proving my point.

no, the government will prove your point for you.

Not to say that the BP run cleanup effort wasn't a CF, but I don't think the govt is going to swoop in here and save the day.

+1

Not to say that the BP run cleanup effort wasn't a CF, but I don't think the govt is going to swoop in here and save the day.

Then why are all these right wingers blaming Obama for not swooping in and saving the day? You have already determined he is unable to do so.

Basically you are whining and complaining for the sake of whining and complaining.

no, the government will prove your point for you.

Please list the physical resources and expertise that the government has, and is withholding, for capping an oil leak a mile under the ocean.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

you're jumping to conclusions faster than Lucky has done in the past.

I stated an opinion. I don't think the government is going to be able to swoop in and save the day. It's a pretty fucked up situation. I didn't see any whining and complaining in my post. I did see you having a kneejerk response to it.

So you're basically calling me a whiner, for other's complaints. Is that it?
--
Rob

Please list the physical resources and expertise that the government has, and is withholding, for capping an oil leak a mile under the ocean.

I never said they were doing so.

I said (and you quoted me so I assumed you read it, which might be my bad) that "I don't think the govt is going to swoop in here and save the day."

I did not say they were able and were choosing not to. (though you seem to be defending them awfully quickly) I did not say there is some vast conspiracy.

I don't think they will be able to do much better at the helm than BP has done. You can read the quotes from the CinC. BP has all the heavy machinery, They are taking direction from the government now.

Will I be happy if the government steps in and saves the day? sure. I'm not sour grapes on the Obama administration and their efforts. I just don't think it's that simple.

damn.... people in this thread are awfully damn defensive. Seeing attacks on the actions of the government when there are none.
--
Rob