Gawain

Students Kicked Off Campus for Wearing American Flag Tees on Cinco de Mayo

I don't fully agree with you. Rather, I think political correctness was based upon the idea that there are certain groups of people who are so lousy and pathetic that they cannot be expected to have a thick skin like a white man.

It's why the self-anointed so emphatically insist that blacks cannot make it without their help. Latinos cannot do it without their help. Asians are assholes because their skin is just as dark and they speak a foreign language but they manage to do it.

Tell people they cannot do it. Get them to believe it. Get paid to help them.

Tell the world that blacks and mexicans will riot if you wear an American flag on Cinco de Mayo. Lucky's point is inescapeable: "they're Mexicans? What else would you expect them to do?"

I find it despicable - especially when couched in terms of "tolerance." Yeah - it's all about one side tolerating and the other side demonstrating the opposite.

Whites better tolerate Mexicans - or they'll kill you. Just think about what that says...

I see your point but, it is all related IMO. Link it all together and it has more power. All in all the whole idea is to attempt to shut those up with whom you do not agree. Label them, make them feel guilty, pass hate crimes laws ECT. use words and ideas against them. And the side that uses this the most are those who feel, not think

>>>>>>>>> All in all the whole idea is to attempt to shut those up with whom you do not agree.

Or just to stop violence for today.

From teh party of, "who cares about that minor 4th deprivation, it's minimal in the light of greater issues" we have the t-shirt squad willing to shed blood over a flag shirt :S. Talk about hypocritical.

Then send those home who threaten violence dude!!

But to you I guess it is better to shut those up with whom you do not agree with

Ya
Lets make the Mexicans happy and screw over those living in the US

Wait!!

They ARE living in the US going to US schools sucking US dollars

Dude

A clue

See if one can be found here

sheesh

What you are evidently unable to understand is that I'm not advocating the acts of the VP in a social, "gee I wanna love the flag and beat off all over it" sense, I'm looking at this from a legal liability sense and to expect people here, even some lawyers to get that is apparently too much to ask. The VP was saving his ass, if he knew of trouble-a-brewin and ignored, that's easily gross negligence, his job, etc. He could have been the biggest flag-waver around, even bigger than you and he still should have done this to save his ass.

Meanwhile you're attacking this from the perspective of, "The FF are rolling in their graves."

More ignorance, Student suspended for not allowing Mexican flag to fly over American flag!

http://www.ktrh.com/pages/michaelberry.html

Yesterday, a listener’s son was offended that his school, Klein Collins High School, displayed the Mexican flag prominently. His mother called to complain, and the school wouldn’t return her call. The student took the sign down.

The school pitched a fit, reviewed the surveillance tapes, found the student, and suspended him for 3 days. AND he has to pay for the flag. In light of the SF story of students sent home for wearing the AMERICAN flag because it offended the Hispanic students, I thought you’d like to know about a story closer to home.

So what do we have here:

- Mexican flag was hung on upper deck of school
- Kid was offended
- Told Mommy
- Mommy called school
- School didn't get back instantly
- Kid took law into his own hands and destroyed flag
- School found out who and suspended him and made him pay restitution

And this is the rendition from your side, there may be other facts not known.

OK, so we have a kid destroying property. This is not, as you say, "allowing Mexican flag to fly over American flag!" They didn't post this flag over an American flag; you're convoluting the issues when they are seperate.

Anyway, a kid destroys someone's property and is caught, suspended and pays for it. He and / or his mommy should have gone to the school to complain and see what happens then. The school and it's staff are responsible for the goings on inside the school, if ya don't like it, go sue. You are advocating vigilantism and pretending it's just Americanness.

Take this issue to court, if they rubber stamp it, what then? More vigilantism? They would likely establish rules for hanging what flags when and then if you lose, now more vigilantism.

Ah
I don't think he is supporting the kid that got kicked out of school unless I am missing something

And where did you get he was supporting vigilantism???
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

I don't fully agree with you. Rather, I think political correctness was based upon the idea that there are certain groups of people who are so lousy and pathetic that they cannot be expected to have a thick skin like a white man.

It's why the self-anointed so emphatically insist that blacks cannot make it without their help. Latinos cannot do it without their help. Asians are assholes because their skin is just as dark and they speak a foreign language but they manage to do it.

Tell people they cannot do it. Get them to believe it. Get paid to help them.

Tell the world that blacks and mexicans will riot if you wear an American flag on Cinco de Mayo. Lucky's point is inescapeable: "they're Mexicans? What else would you expect them to do?"

I find it despicable - especially when couched in terms of "tolerance." Yeah - it's all about one side tolerating and the other side demonstrating the opposite.

Whites better tolerate Mexicans - or they'll kill you. Just think about what that says...

I see your point but, it is all related IMO. Link it all together and it has more power. All in all the whole idea is to attempt to shut those up with whom you do not agree. Label them, make them feel guilty, pass hate crimes laws ECT. use words and ideas against them. And the side that uses this the most are those who feel, not think

>>>>>>>>> All in all the whole idea is to attempt to shut those up with whom you do not agree.

Or just to stop violence for today.

From teh party of, "who cares about that minor 4th deprivation, it's minimal in the light of greater issues" we have the t-shirt squad willing to shed blood over a flag shirt :S. Talk about hypocritical.

Then send those home who threaten violence dude!!

But to you I guess it is better to shut those up with whom you do not agree with

Ya
Lets make the Mexicans happy and screw over those living in the US

Wait!!

They ARE living in the US going to US schools sucking US dollars

Dude

A clue

See if one can be found here

sheesh

What you are evidently unable to understand is that I'm not advocating the acts of the VP in a social, "gee I wanna love the flag and beat off all over it" sense, I'm looking at this from a legal liability sense and to expect people here, even some lawyers to get that is apparently too much to ask. The VP was saving his ass, if he knew of trouble-a-brewin and ignored, that's easily gross negligence, his job, etc. He could have been the biggest flag-waver around, even bigger than you and he still should have done this to save his ass.

Meanwhile you're attacking this from the perspective of, "The FF are rolling in their graves."

Oh I get it alright
You got your excuse to support your convoluted view point

I get it alright.

What the school did was bass ackwards from what they should have done
They should have told the complaining student to suck it up and if he threatened violence throw HIS ass out of school and make a report to the police

And if you take someone disagreeing with you as an "attack" you have a problem

And if you are using the attack claim to silence others

It will not work
Abraham Lincoln

Or it could be that the white man has been teh devil in so many cases - the list you ignored:

- African slaves

- American Indians

- Women

- Chinese

- Hawaiians

- Japanese-American internment

- On and on and on and on........

That is the byproduct of centuries of racial oppression, miscegenation, anhillation, gender oppression, etc. Deal with it, as white males our predecessors have really set the stage for us.

So just curious, when in your mind do you think that the acts of those multiple generations ago should be forgiven? How much time has to pass or what has to happen before you'd be willing to treat all people the same, regardless of race, gender, orientation.

You have a severe case of white male guilt that seriously effects your judgement.

I've learned to look past a person's genetics and treat all people equally as a starting point: not good or bad but neutral. :)
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

More ignorance, Student suspended for not allowing Mexican flag to fly over American flag!

http://www.ktrh.com/pages/michaelberry.html

Yesterday, a listener’s son was offended that his school, Klein Collins High School, displayed the Mexican flag prominently. His mother called to complain, and the school wouldn’t return her call. The student took the sign down.

The school pitched a fit, reviewed the surveillance tapes, found the student, and suspended him for 3 days. AND he has to pay for the flag. In light of the SF story of students sent home for wearing the AMERICAN flag because it offended the Hispanic students, I thought you’d like to know about a story closer to home.

The student was wrong as he removed the flag. Had he placed an American Flag next to the Mexican flag or opposite of it and still gotten in trouble, that would have been wrong.

Or it could be that the white man has been teh devil in so many cases - the list you ignored:

- African slaves

- American Indians

- Women

- Chinese

- Hawaiians

- Japanese-American internment

- On and on and on and on........

I do not ignore history. Perhaps it's why I mentioned Jim Crow laws as an example of despicable discrimination. Slavery was even worse - though at least they were honest bigots instead of the subtle bigotry seen so often.

Indians - yeah, I'd view them with the same sympathy had our forefathers not killed them all.

Women - yep. They were viewed lower than the slaves. I can prove it by showing the date slaves could vote versus women.

Chinese - Yep.

Hawaiians - of course, and spend any amount of time in Hawaii and you'll see reverse racism pretty much institutionalized. Racism is racism - and I don't buy any of that bullshit about "A minority cannot be racist."

Japanese Americans - of course! A fine example of progressive politics to great Americans.

An on and on. Like Jews. Irish (boy, were THEY detested). Polacks. Italians. Nowadays there is attempted marginalization of Christians by the left. Christians hate on gays. There is the marginalization of groups on all sides.

So - should we prevent a person from wearing a ranbow tee shirt because NeoNazis might go booting? Or what about having police simply fence off white neighborhoods from all blacks because they might get attacked? Or keeping whites out of the hood because they might get shot?

This would be tyranny.

There is always a tension between freedom and order. A 100% free society is not orderly. A 100% orderly society is not free.

You argue that order is better than freedom. I disagree with that. My biggest problem is that you argue that minorities will riot and kill people on the basis of a tee shirt. It shows, in my mind, a very low opinion of minorities.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/05/07/tensions-high-california-high-school-following-flag-flap/

Tensions are rising at a California high school where five students were sent home for wearing American flag T-shirts on Cinco de Mayo.

More than 200 Hispanic students reportedly skipped class on Thursday and marched to school district headquarters while chanting "we want respect" and "si se puedes" -- "yes we can" -- the Morgan Hill Times reported.

"We did this to support the Latino/Hispanic community," Francine Roa, a 2005 Live Oak High School graduate, told the newspaper.

At least six Morgan Hill police vehicles traveled alongside the students, many of whom carried Mexican flags. No arrests were made related to the march, the newspaper reported.

Police have been told to be on alert for gang-related retaliation against the boys, according to Ken Jones, whose stepson, Daniel Galli, was one of the students who refused to turn their T-shirts inside-out when asked by a vice principal on Wednesday.
related links

California Students Sent Home for Wearing U.S. Flags on Cinco de Mayo

"We just want this whole thing to die down," Jones told FoxNews.com. "We're not trying to keep these flames firing."

The five teens -- Galli, Austin Carvalho, Matt Dariano, Dominic Maciel and Clayton Howard -- were sitting at a table outside Live Oak High School Wednesday morning when Assistant Principal Miguel Rodriguez asked two of them to remove their American flag bandannas, one of the boys' parents told FoxNews.com. The youths complied, but were asked to accompany Rodriguez to the principal's office.

The students were then told they must turn their T-shirts inside-out or be sent home, though it would not be considered a suspension. Rodriguez told the students he did not want any fights to break out between Mexican-American students celebrating their heritage and those wearing American flags, the parent said.

But Jones said the preemptive action was unnecessary, and that Rodriguez "overstepped his bounds."

"The issue was, there was nothing going on," Jones told Fox News on Friday. "There was no sense of violence at all amongst the students, there was no conversation, there was no bullying.

"We just feel like the vice principal overstepped his bounds. He jumped in too quickly. We can understand he might be concerned something would happen, but there was no indication that was going to happen at all."

Officials at the high school, a 1,300-student institution in Santa Clara County, near San Jose, have not returned several messages seeking comment.

As of late Thursday, Jones said the five boys' parents have no plans to sue the school or Morgan Hill Unified School District, which has characterized the incident as "extremely unfortunate" and is conducting an ongoing investigation. Several attorneys have contacted the families offering to represent them pro bono, Jones said.

"We're keeping an open mind," he said. "We want to stand up for our First Amendment rights."

He said the families are seeking an apology from school officials and want the students' unexcused absences for leaving school to be expunged.

Galli said he frequently wears the American flag T-shirt to school and that he wasn't trying to incite any tension. Asked if he wore the shirt to make a statement related to the ongoing immigration debate, Galli said, "No, it had absolutely nothing to do with that."

District officials, meanwhile, sent a voicemail message in English and Spanish to all parents late Thursday.

"The Morgan Hill Unified School District does not prohibit nor do we discourage wearing patriotic clothing," the message from Superintendent Wesley Smith said. "The incident on May 5 at Live Oak High School is extremely unfortunate. While campus safety is our primary concern and administrators made decisions yesterday in an attempt to ensure campus safety, students should not, and will not, be disciplined for wearing patriotic clothing. This situation and our response are under review."

Asked if the district will be taking any steps to quell rising tensions at the school, a district official told FoxNews.com in an e-mail, "Our focus for [Thursday] was student safety. Students are safe and administrators are continuing to work through the investigation."

Eugene Volokh, a professor of law at UCLA, said the students are protected under California Education Code 48950, which prohibits schools from enforcing a rule subjecting a high school student to disciplinary sanctions solely on the basis of conduct that, when engaged outside of campus, is protected by the First Amendment.

If the school could point to previous incidents sparked by students who wore garments with American flags, they could argue that the flag is likely to lead to "substantial disruption," Volokh said.

"If, for example, there had been fights over similar things at past events, if there had been specific threats made. But if [school officials] just say, 'Well, we think it might be offensive to people,' that's generally speaking not enough."

Volokh said the students and their parents likely have a winning case on their hands if they decide to take the matter to court.

"Oh yes, it's almost open and shut," he said.

>but no one American should ever be forced to remove the American flag
>like in this incident.

Exactly the same thing would have happened in my high school due to our dress code - so there is indeed plenty of precedent. But in this case the school handled it very poorly, and really screwed the pooch. As the article mentioned, if the parents go after the school they are pretty much assured a win.

Police have been told to be on alert for gang-related retaliation against the boys

"We just feel like the vice principal overstepped his bounds. He jumped in too quickly. We can understand he might be concerned something would happen, but there was no indication that was going to happen at all."

Galli said he frequently wears the American flag T-shirt to school and that he wasn't trying to incite any tension. Asked if he wore the shirt to make a statement related to the ongoing immigration debate, Galli said, "No, it had absolutely nothing to do with that."

The powers of paraphrasing. A mere few lines apart in the same article. It would appear that whatever his intentions, the outcome could still be the same.

I don't support the principles actions. I do condemn the students serious lack of judgement.

>like in this incident.

Exactly the same thing would have happened in my high school due to our dress code - so there is indeed plenty of precedent. But in this case the school handled it very poorly, and really screwed the pooch. As the article mentioned, if the parents go after the school they are pretty much assured a win.

If this was a dress code incident I would agree with you 100%.
Sadly it was not and as you said, it was poorly handled.
Abraham Lincoln

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/05/07/tensions-high-california-high-school-following-flag-flap/

Tensions are rising at a California high school where five students were sent home for wearing American flag T-shirts on Cinco de Mayo.

More than 200 Hispanic students reportedly skipped class on Thursday and marched to school district headquarters while chanting "we want respect" and "si se puedes" -- "yes we can" -- the Morgan Hill Times reported.

"We did this to support the Latino/Hispanic community," Francine Roa, a 2005 Live Oak High School graduate, told the newspaper.

At least six Morgan Hill police vehicles traveled alongside the students, many of whom carried Mexican flags. No arrests were made related to the march, the newspaper reported.

Police have been told to be on alert for gang-related retaliation against the boys, according to Ken Jones, whose stepson, Daniel Galli, was one of the students who refused to turn their T-shirts inside-out when asked by a vice principal on Wednesday.
related links

The mexican americans were shown preferential treatment. Why are they protesting? :S

I like the quote of one kid, "It's disrespectful, we wouldn't wear our Mexico shirts on the 4th of July and shout 'Viva Mexico!'"

Free speach does not cover disrespecting/disagreeing with people. I could care less what others wear on the 4th of July. If they shout "Viva Mexico", so what? The only time I might have a problem with it is if they came right up in front of my face and shouted it directly. Of course at that point it's less a matter of what they are saying tand more of how it's being done.

So rather than avoiding a conflict, which has been Lucky's justification for civil rights violations, it appears that the VP's actions actually created the situation.

Though again, it begs the question, how do these truants think they haven't been respected.

Police have been told to be on alert for gang-related retaliation against the boys

The powers of paraphrasing. A mere few lines apart in the same article. It would appear that whatever his intentions, the outcome could still be the same.

I don't support the principles actions. I do condemn the students serious lack of judgement.

Students lack of judgement? When did standing up and not being intimidated by gangs become a bad thing? :S

Students lack of judgement? When did standing up and not being intimidated by gangs become a bad thing? :S

Not standing up for yourself and choosing your battles are two different things. They created an issue where there didn't need to be one.

Students lack of judgement? When did standing up and not being intimidated by gangs become a bad thing? Crazy ***

us white folk, cracker, honky, white bread peoples are supposed to still carry the guilt of our ancestors for their actions against those colored folks - didnt you get the memo? ;)

Roy

They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

Not standing up for yourself and choosing your battles are two different things. They created an issue where there didn't need to be one.

Interesting. Everything I've read so far seems to indicate there was no issue at all until this VP stepped in which has since made it a national/international issue. Some may misunderstand those that are upset at this biased treatment and construe it as they are upset that mexicans were wearing flag shirts.

I'm sure it now has been twisted many different ways to support one's personal agenda and viewpoints, hell just look at some the posts on here.

>like in this incident.

Win a moral victory? You need 3 things in order to sucessfully sue and collect:

- Liability
- Damage
- Solvent D's

OK, so what's the damage? Hurt feelings? WHat court is going to award how much money to this whiney kid? Also, it would be an affirmative defense thatthese punks never wore a flag garb before, assuming that's the case, so they were wearing it to harrass.

If you were the VP would you rather face this suit or one where teachers were telling you these punks were flashing around their garb, thumbing their noses at Mexican-Americans and things were getting hot?

If I'm the VP I want bright-line rules from either an appellate court or the school district so my ass is covered if shit breaks out due to this kind of stuff.

Also, an affirmative defense could be public/student safety; the deprivation of little white punk's not being able to cause shit is trumped by the need forr public safety - if I were an attny I would love to make that arg all day long. So even if it was wrong to deny punk-boys, it was teh lesser of all other evils. How would a jury argue with that? Esp if other students witnessed tey never wore flag-related garb before that day and being able to wear it very other day wasn't good enough; the case is quite clear and student safety is way more important than expression.

Maybe. The situation was handled poorly by both sides. A simple compromise could have averted the subsequent fall out and need for this thread.

This could be looked at from different angles, but since the topic is just too good not to play devil's advocate...the students wearing of american flag bandana's shows a clear intent to provoke mexican members of the school. Whether you want there to be or not, it is clear an issue would have arisen from this regardless of the VP's actions.

I don't get off on limiting peoples free speech, patriotism (on both sides) is something to be proud of. Just don't start bitching (generally) when others take offence.

>Win a moral victory?

Basically yes. Won't be much money but will send a message.

>Also, an affirmative defense could be public/student safety;
>the deprivation of little white punk's not being able to cause shit is trumped
>by the need forr public safety . . .

Well, heck, we could cancel just about every political demonstration in the US by those rules. There are fights at those demonstrations sometimes, after all. Pro-choice rally? A pro-life type might try to kill someone. Anti-war rally? Those bring out the worst in people, don't you know.

Also, it would be an affirmative defense thatthese punks never wore a flag garb before, assuming that's the case, so they were wearing it to harrass.

these punks were flashing around their garb, thumbing their noses at Mexican-Americans and things were getting hot?

Esp if other students witnessed tey never wore flag-related garb before that day

Except for the fact it's mentioned in the article/video that they dressed like this all the time.

No where does it state they were "thumbing their noses" either. They just went about their normal day.

The fact that you keep referring to them as punks speaks volumes as well to your complete inability to be objective.

Don't you think if there had been any verbal or nonverbal agression shown by these kids the principle would have stated that to support his reasoning? I've yet to find any mention of anything even remotely overt.

Maybe. The situation was handled poorly by both sides. A simple compromise could have averted the subsequent fall out and need for this thread.

Agree and agree. Asking all to remove all flag clothes and then banning them would have been acceptable as all are treated equally. It's shitty and it's unfair, but it's consistent. :)