Gawain

Students Kicked Off Campus for Wearing American Flag Tees on Cinco de Mayo

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local-beat/Students-Wearing-American-Flag-Shirts-Sent-Home-92945969.html

First, Cinco de Mayo is not a holiday in this country. Second, this school must have all their ducks in a row: perfect graduation rates, on-par reading, writing, math, science, history - because for something like this to happen, there must be no problems left in the school.

For those that don't know, Morgan Hill is in Santa Clara County (South Bay), on US 101 between San Jose and Gilroy.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

"They said we could wear it on any other day," Daniel Galli said, "but today is sensitive to Mexican-Americans because it's supposed to be their holiday so we were not allowed to wear it today."

You should only be referred to as Mexican-American, African-American, etc... if you are a dual citizen (and you should be refereed to as American-Mexican, American-African, etc... if you were an American citizen first) otherwise you're just American.

"I think they should apologize cause it is a Mexican Heritage Day," Annicia Nunez, a Live Oak High student, said. "We don't deserve to be get disrespected like that. We wouldn't do that on Fourth of July."

They're American or American-Mexican or Mexican-American ... what is disrespectful about the American flag to them?

PS: The Fourth of July is the United States Independence Day. The Fifth of May (Cinco de Mayo) is not Mexico's Independence Day.
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

An American citizen isn't allowed to display the American flag in America because it's a Mexican holiday?
Some people take this PC-BS way too seriously.

And here's me thinking we Dutch are crazy :D

"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

I wonder if they'll ban students wearing Mexican flags during American holidays, like the 4th of July?

How about Old Dixie flag t-shirts on Martin Luther King day?

Maybe atheist t-shirts during the Christmas holidays?

Black pride t-shirts on George Washington's birthday?

By gosh, I'll bet they can find something to ban for nearly every holiday of the year!

By gosh, I'll bet they can find something to ban for nearly every holiday of the year!

I guess we'll have to all get naked then. :o:o

I take that back...last thing the world needs to see is my pasty white @ss...:D:D
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

"We don't deserve to be get disrespected like that."

So wearing the flag of the country that this person LIVES IN CURRENTLY is disrespect? Deport their asses and then we'll see how much they think someone else wearing an american flag is disrespect. Besides the USA doesn't recognize cinco de mayo as a national holiday.

At least once a week I come a cross a "stupid official of the week" story. Yeah, this one's a good candidate.

My apologies in advance but I was just thinking it's your profession that has caused all this bullshit in my lifetime. Why do you think administrators make these fucked up decisions?
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Sounds like the kids were deliberately trying to make a point (from reading the rest of the story), and instead of letting nature take its course, the school administration decided to step in and make things a whole lot worse.

All this talk about "disrespecting" is stupid. People look for it -- whether it's of Christianity, Mexican heritage, race, or even skydiving discipline and choice of canopy. Who gives a flying fuck? They're just opportunities for outrage.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I was just thinking it's your profession that has caused all this bullshit in my lifetime.

Oh, you don't know the half of it. We also eat live kittens in front of small children.
Oh- and the genocide in Rwanda? That was us, too.

I was just thinking it's your profession that has caused all this bullshit in my lifetime.

Oh, you don't know the half of it. We also eat live kittens in front of small children.

Well I'm certain it was you who started requiring those ugle orange placards on skydiving equipment. ;)
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Were they wearing "Fuck Mexico" shirts or similar the action could be deemed justified.

It was an overzealous admin that caused more trouble then they were supposedly trying to prevent. :S

If they wanted to fair, they should have required all country specific shirts be turned inside out or removed.

Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local-beat/Students-Wearing-American-Flag-Shirts-Sent-Home-92945969.html

First, Cinco de Mayo is not a holiday in this country. Second, this school must have all their ducks in a row: perfect graduation rates, on-par reading, writing, math, science, history - because for something like this to happen, there must be no problems left in the school.

For those that don't know, Morgan Hill is in Santa Clara County (South Bay), on US 101 between San Jose and Gilroy.

Hi Gw,
What you're looking at is the death throws of America. It wasn't too many years ago when Ronald Regan said,"Mr Gorbechov, tear down this wall!!" The wall eventually came down and so did the "Hammer and Sickle." Look long and hard at the "Stars and Stripes" for with attitudes and acts like we see above, it won't be long.

Next time you walk thru a cemetary, take note of the grave inscriptions that say,"He died while serving his country." Those men were not Mexican-American, Polish-American, Shoshonee-American, African-American or Hungarian-American, no they were all just plane old "American!" And their blood they shed was of the same color,Red, as in the flag!

Oh don't worry though, "The American Flag" as we know it wont come down without a fight! There's going to be a fight alright, and a big one. You can bet your cypress on it!!

"As things begin to spin out of countrol, remember this,'All Politics in this country now is just dress rehersal for Civil War!'"
-Billy Beck, AUG 2009-
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

The boys said the administrators called their T-shirts "incendiary" that would lead to fights on campus.

One fucked up high school.

No, I would say it is more the state[:/]
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

> They're just opportunities for outrage.

Agreed 100%. Out here there's a guy on one of the news shows who goes looking for things to be outraged about. About half of them are along the lines of "honored veteran not allowed to fly the flag on the Fourth? IT'S NOT RIGHT!" Then it turns out that the story is about a vet in a condo complex who wants to put in a 20 foot flagpole and it violates zoning laws.

But that sound bite gets people outraged, and that sells airtime.

Well, if the lawyer-types are not involved in this yet, I bet they will be soon...

The five teens were sitting at a table outside Live Oak High School in Morgan Hill, Calif., on Wednesday morning when Assistant Principal Miguel Rodriguez asked two of them to remove their American flag bandannas, the Morgan Hill Times reported. The boys told the newspaper they complied, but were asked to accompany Rodriguez to the principal's office.

----------------------------------------------------------------
I guess I was the only one who picked up on this?

OMG -- you mean they're letting them be assistant principals now?????

I doubt his personal ethnicity had anything to do with it. If it did, bad on him.

The quote you have seems to refer only to the bandanna kids; the T-shirt kids refused to turn their T-shirts inside out, and that's why they were asked to go to the principal's office.

BTW, the Flag Code indicates that the flag should not be used as wearing apparel.

I still think this is stupid, but adding reasons to be outraged to a manufactured incident in the first place is not great.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

BTW, the Flag Code indicates that the flag should not be used as wearing apparel.

FWIW, the Flag Code is merely advisory and not mandatory; in fact, the SCOTUS has ruled that punitive enforcement of it violates the First Amendment. Being in a school attended by juveniles, even a public school, may muddy the waters: juveniles in school (especially public school) have First Amendment rights, while school officials have the limited right to set reasonable standards of conduct and dress in order to foster the educational environment or prevent disruptive behavior. In normal people language, I think the asst principal did what he did because he was afraid that if he didn't, a fight might break out. Clear as mud.