rwieder

RE: 100,000 BBLS OPD In The Gulf??

I just thought the knoocs were winesoaked. Now, here in our own little piecd of the gulf of mexico sure enough, a Semi_Submersible Exploded, Immediately full on flame. 36 hrs of all evacuation or the rig personal, still not even a piece of a body has bee found. AND YET-T-Aha! Not one of you cared about any of that situation, even now when the rigs is on bottom, and no survivors, I haven't heard a "Peep" out of you guys. C'Mon, lets have a spirited debate, and lye blame at all off the "Big Guys" feet. Get some ink and some files and wazoo! We're now ready to see you sir, just come over here and fill out these templates and we'll get them signed asap!! Just follow me son!!
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

Funny that oil rig workers did not make the top 10 high stress jobs list, but advertising execs did.

BTW, how much had you been drinking before typing your post?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

BTW, how much had you been drinking before typing your post?

It's a well known fact I don't drink. I think it's obvious you've never been on a drillin rig, cause you do not understand the oilfeld acronyms.
-Richard-

That is a FUBAR situation out in the Gulf of Mexico. The platform was state of the art and cost something like $600 million. KABOOM! goes up in flames and then sinks 5000+ feet to the bottom with an open-ended drilling pipe that's leaking crude oil from the reserves down below the gulf bottom. This may well already be the worst spill of all time near U.S. waters. They are saying it will dwarf the Exxon Valdez's spill, and the oil will start washing up on shore in LA, MS, AL and western FL by the weekend.

I'm sure it's gonna ruin my parents' annual 3 week vacation on the Alabama coast. >:( But hey, that's the least of the problems the Gulf Coast is gonna have with this spill. :|

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Hey, explosives - BOOM - too bad no knockers, eh? What's good for the gander is good for the GROOSe. 230,000 people dead in Haiti - but not a peep out of you. Let's go! Smash those bastards. Spare a quarter for a tsunami on rye anyone? Not you; you could care less as long as you get OIL of your money. So fill out them templates and have another (not) beer.

Anyone have any hot dogs and marshmallows?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100428/ap_on_bi_ge/us_louisiana_oil_rig_explosion

How many carbon units did this cost?

Here's more
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

SC usually waits to add their contribution to the finger-pointing once the fingers are starting to be pointed. It's a valuable service we provide :P.

So it's premature. But it's also a totally fucked-up situation.

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

SC usually waits to add their contribution to the finger-pointing once the fingers are starting to be pointed. It's a valuable service we provide :P.

So it's premature. But it's also a totally fucked-up situation.

Wendy P.

Not totally - at least they are going to be able to test the reclamation equipment for real.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Of course, the loss of life is tragic. That said, I think the timing was incredible. Obama blesses the industry as safe enough to allow more offshore drilling in areas where it has been banned up to now, then this happens! Yeah, those oil companies won't screw up the environment any at all. Once more, the almighty dollar reigns supreme. Even after the surface spill is contained/cleaned up, we're going to see storms wash tar up on the beaches for years after this one. I just love having to use turpentine to get it off me, bathing suit, surfboard, etc. when I get home ... :(
As long as you are happy with yourself ... who cares what the rest of the world thinks?

Of course, the loss of life is tragic. That said, I think the timing was incredible. Obama blesses the industry as safe enough to allow more offshore drilling in areas where it has been banned up to now, then this happens! Yeah, those oil companies won't screw up the environment any at all. Once more, the almighty dollar reigns supreme. Even after the surface spill is contained/cleaned up, we're going to see storms wash tar up on the beaches for years after this one. I just love having to use turpentine to get it off me, bathing suit, surfboard, etc. when I get home ... :(

So......I wonder when we're going to start hearing from the Upper Big Branch/Deepwater Horizon "truthers"? :P

The inevitable environmental disaster aside, my main concern is how smart do you have to be to throw a match on the spill and set the entire GOM afire, along with all of the other surface producing oil & gas wells in it's path. Once the fire makes contact with the SOR's on the coastline from mexico to florida, this is the "big bang" that could be of biblocol proportions. I bet you won't be real interested in the haitians well being then Bill.

Spare a quarter for a tsunami on rye anyone? Not you; you could care less as long as you get OIL of your money.

Bill I can assure you I do not have any $$$ invested in this well, nor will I profit off of it one way or another.

So fill out them templates and have another (not) beer.

The "template" I mentioned refers to MSWord templates used in the legal system to file law suits. I guess I'll just have to "dumb down" when ever I'm remarking about an event like this. And once more, I don't drink, please do not make veiled inferences to it in my regards, I consider this a PA on my behalf. RE: my sig line.
-Richard-

Hey Rich, we are from opposite ends of the political spectrum, but I share your outrage at this this disaster.
Billvon, 230,000 Haitians died during an earthquake, thats an entirely different kettle of fish to this mess. Earthquakes are natural, difficult to predict phenomena, this is a case of man's negligence, and therefore entirely avoidable, no matter how you stack it up.

Rich, I feel your outrage, this situation is a whole lot worse than paople can yet imagine.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Quite amazing there where no back up system if the BOP failed!

First of all, how do you know if there were, or weren't any backup systems available? Be careful what you say about this event in any forum.

I wished I could refer to your question without fear of repriseal, but I can't, and won't. I will offer that this well control event and it's effects will be remembered long after we're all gone.

If the oil is leaking from pipes out of the seabed. why not just use some explosives to close off the drilled hole?
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

If the oil is leaking from pipes out of the seabed. why not just use some explosives to close off the drilled hole?

Because the explosives might cause a situation where oil is leaking from several points due to fractured rock. If the problem is a failed/damaged/destroyed BOP, the best solution is to set a dome over the wellhead and capture the oil.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

Quite amazing there where no back up system if the BOP failed!

There are other systems in place to prevent this, although they were unable to do so due the tremendous pressure at hand. Deep water drilling is very dangerous and comes with entirely new risk compared to drilling in shallow gulf waters.

I would like to give compliments to the crew of the rig for there fast action toward the evacuation and the resecue of those who had to jump from sixty feet plus to keep from burning alive.

As an oilfield fabricator employee, I realize that this could have been prevented by not drilling at all. The fact remains that although we realize we need alternate fuel sources,but we will be dependant on oil for decades to come, werther it be from foriegn or local resources.

Drilling in the gulf undoubtally creates jobs for americans. Not only for rig workers, but indirectly for the fabricators and suppliers for the equipment on the rigs, which far out numbers the the rig workers. This was a tragedy that effects my state (Louisiana) tremendously by devastating businesses throughout the coast which includes the oilfield businesses.

Before this incident, the track record for drilling in the gulf was just short or right at perfect and outstanding. We should still, IMO, lobby to explore, drill and pump oil off of our shores. This creates jobs and keeps dependence on oil resources increasingly local.

Again, as much as we want our dependance on oil to change, IMO, it will be around for decades to come. So, let's keep it domestic, despite this backdraw.

Drilling is dangeroous but nessecary at this point in time.
If you're not living on the edge; you're taking up too much room!

It's a well known fact I don't drink. I think it's obvious you've never been on a drillin rig, cause you do not understand the oilfeld acronyms.

So, the point of the post was to use phrases that no one
will probably understand ?
It doesn't seem that great an idea.

A barrel of oil is 42 gallons.
100,000 barrels is kind of a spin. it makes it sound smaller on tv.

4.2 million ... that sounds like a lot.

>Drilling in the gulf undoubtally creates jobs for americans.

True - but accidents like this can destroy the livelihoods of even more Americans. We definitely need oil, but we also need to not destroy whole industries.

We've gotten much better at the technology required to safely drill and pump oil from offshore. But the sad fact is that even if we maintain today's (fairly high) levels of safety, if we drill more we will have more accidents like this one. We do need to keep pumping oil, but even more importantly we need to start reducing our usage of it.

Apalachicola Bay

The best oysters anywhere.

Apalachicola Bay—thirty miles of shallow oyster paradise on the Florida panhandle—produces 90 percent of Florida’s oysters. The best may come from Big Bayou, a remote and pristine area on the saltier western part of the bay, near Saint Vincent Island, a National Wildlife Refuge.

Without the head-start of a floating nursery, it takes the oysters about three years to reach three inches.

Actually, if the oil hits the reef system in the Florida Keys, there goes the scuba diving and tourism industry.

Beaches, tourism, commercial fishing...

Florida can pretty much shut down.

Compared to the jobs of all the people who
work in marine-related and tourism industries,
I can't really shed a tear for the oil related ones.