tkhayes

Anne Coulter in Canada

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2010/03/23/ottawa-coulter-speech.html

the really sad part is that 800 people showed up.....

Damn them for not properly hating any conservative, anyway!! :P
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I vote conservative, but I wouldn't go to listen to a lightweight like that speak. I really think Limbaugh, Hannity, et al understand that they are entertainers and while the general thrust of their arguments is true to their beliefs, the extent of the bombast is just the show business. I don't think she gets that.

I'd like to think that it was simply morbid curiosity. I'm assuming that someone paid her to speak. THAT's the real crime.

Maybe she can stay for good and cougerize CanuckInUSA

I am sorry Coulter does nothing for me. Please show me one once of evidence where I have ever supported anything this woman has said. :P

However it is rather interesting that the vice-president of the University of Ottawa Francois Houle has threaten Ms Coulter with a lawsuit if she says anything during her speeches that Mr Houle feels is inappropriate. Obviously free speech only applies to some in this ever so politically correct nation.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Actually he didn't threaten her. He gently reminded her that the limits to freedom of speech are different here than in the US. The truth is she has said things in the past that could get her into trouble here.
BTW University VPs don't press criminal charges, prosecutors do.

I am sorry Coulter does nothing for me. Please show me one once of evidence where I have ever supported anything this woman has said. :P

However it is rather interesting that the vice-president of the University of Ottawa Francois Houle has threaten Ms Coulter with a lawsuit if she says anything during her speeches that Mr Houle feels is inappropriate. Obviously free speech only applies to some in this ever so politically correct nation.

Is there any truth to his statement that promotion of hatred towards a group is punishable by law?

In short, yes.

Sections 318 and 319 of the Criminal Code make it a criminal offence to:

-advocate genocide
-publicly incite hatred
-wilfully promote hatred against an "identifiable group

An identifiable group is defined as any section of the public distinguished by:

colour
race
religion
ethnic origin
sexual orientation

What other than being rather rabid conservatives that believe all liberals are traitors, etc etc etc, and so on and so forth????

Birds of a feather and all that

In short, yes.

-advocate genocide
-publicly incite hatred

colour
race
religion
ethnic origin
sexual orientation

Well, she's pretty much done all that here in the US so one might think she'd appreciate the prescient letter from the Provost.
Nah.

What other than being rather rabid conservatives

You forget (or were not aware) I am not religious so this automatically excludes myself from being a Conservative.
This also means I disagree with most of the crap Ms Coulter spews.

Do not confuse my severe dislike of the "Liberal Party of Canada" for a perceived dislike of Liberal people. I do not agree with everything Liberal people say and do, but the two are very different (Liberal people and the "Liberal Party of Canada"). Being in the USA you and your media pay little to no attention as to what goes on up here. But my dislike of the "Liberal Party of Canada" has everything to do with their long history of stealing money from the Canadian tax payer while they continue to spew lies to their lemmings as they arrogantly still refer to themselves as "The Natural Governing Party, the only people who should ever be allowed to govern in Canuckistan". :P

Back on topic, I could care less about Ms Coulter and her speeches while she is here.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

In short, yes.

-advocate genocide
-publicly incite hatred

colour
race
religion
ethnic origin
sexual orientation

Good to see specifics, but what does that really mean? No free speech? None against popular groups? Or hardly any different from the US standard where inciting violence (or yelling fire) isn't protected speech either? Would a holocaust denier get jailed?

Good to see specifics, but what does that really mean? No free speech? None against popular groups? Or hardly any different from the US standard where inciting violence (or yelling fire) isn't protected speech either? Would a holocaust denier get jailed?

Holocaust deniers have been jailed - but that's been for publishing false information (subsequently, those convictions were overturned by the Supreme Court of Canada as being unconstitutional). I'm not sure of any high profile cases regarding hate speech convictions.

Crown Prosecutors seem leary about charging people under 318 or 319. That is to say they will charge them, but usually, the charges are reduced to something less severe.

It is interesting that there is a case right now of a university student Salman Hossain. He openly advocates the killing of Jews, Canadian soldiers and Canadian politicians. This has been ongoing for the last 2 years, yet the law doesn't seem willing to proceed with hate speech charges.

Haven't got time right now to look it up, but in the '80s two high profile cases of anti-Jew nuts went to the SCOC. Jim Keegstra was charged with disseminating "false news" by teaching his high school class that the holocaust did not happen. The law was thrown out.
At the same time Earnst Zundle was charged with promoting hatred against an identifiable group. The same court upheld this law. Both votes were 5 to 4 with one justice swinging.
You can say the Jews are assholes, but you cannot say we should kill them.

Haven't got time right now to look it up, but in the '80s two high profile cases of anti-Jew nuts went to the SCOC. Jim Keegstra was charged with disseminating "false news" by teaching his high school class that the holocaust did not happen. The law was thrown out.
At the same time Earnst Zundle was charged with promoting hatred against an identifiable group. The same court upheld this law. Both votes were 5 to 4 with one justice swinging.

Ahh. Right, I forgot about Keegstra. But I think that his conviction was upheld by the SCOC, but Zundels was overturned.

Keegstra's conviction was on hate and fell within section 319, but Zundel conviction was on publishing false information. As I mentioned, that law was deemed unconstitutional by the SCOC. He was convicted twice (first time was thrown out on a technicality).

OMG ITS A SIGN OF ARMEGEDDON FOR SURE.. IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT

I'm glad to see the Canadian courts have more good sense about the suppression of speech than the Canadian legislatures do.

By the way, "yelling fire in a crowded theater" is not the same as "hate speech"; the former is penalized not because it is offensive or even slanderous, but simply because of its risk that it will immediately cause a stampede that will harm people. On the other hand, to an American lawyer or political scientist, hate speech, even if vile and slanderous, should never be criminalized: thus the First Amendment.

...Right. Because if you don't care to see Ann Coulter in person you must hate conservatives...

How many times have you seen her in person yourself?...
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Really?

Joe: "All seats for the final game of the '04 world series were sold out."

Quanisha: "I don't believe you. Prove it. Give me the names of everyone who attended the game."

Joe: "Can't. Don't know the names. All I know is the tickets were sold out. Couldn't get one."

Quanisha: "This proves you're lying..."

Good ol' liberal Democrat logic.

Cheers,
Jon