PLFXpert

Do You Believe Every Human Life is Unequivocally More Important to Protect Than the Life of Any Animal?

we can do this all day

What would be the fun in that?

Oh yeah...;)

Amber Lynn, Scarlett Johannson, and Jewel. Does Kevin Garnett count? :D

Blues,
Dave

"One of these things is not like the others..." Street>

Kid Rock

What about kidney or gall stones? ;)
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

I don't believe in animal cruelty, but on the other hand I am left speechless by the number of people that I meet that are unable to separate their emotional/rational treatment of a pet from that of a human child. I find it deeply disturbing and honestly without wishing to offend bordering on mental illness when someone truly accepts and treats a pet cat or dog as a child of their own.

>>I don't believe in animal cruelty

------

Huh?????

What part is difficult to understand? He's saying that: on the one hand, he believes that people should never be cruel to animals; but nevertheless, he does not believe that pets are the equivalent of human children, and he finds people who do treat their pets as though the pets were their human children to be rather odd. At least that's what I think he's saying.

Ok makes sense... the way it was written made me wonder if by saying, he didn't believe in animal cruelty, he was saying he didn't believe cruelty to animals is cruelty.
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

I support reasonable protections for the environment, plants and animals alike. But sometimes it get totally absurd. Several years ago several forest fire fighters died because their supporting aircraft were denied permission to pick up water from a nearby lake that contained an endangered fish. The impact on the lake would have been negligible, but zealots make stupid rules.
Tom B

Why? If that's really the last rhino, and that's their only source of food, those kids are going to die anyway. Why not protect that rhino so it can breed a few rhinolets before killing it off? That way the species _and_ those kids survive.

You miss the point of this mental masturbation. I could create a scenario where the Rhino is the only source of food and the kids who eat it won't die after it is gone. Perhaps some entrepeneur is opening an all you can eat gorilla hamburger stand and it won't be open for 3 months. The kids could eat the rhino burgers for 3 months and then switch to gorilla burgers.

I think all of this is a projection of our own feelings. I personally believe no animal on the planet is worth my life or the life of a family member. I can project that rationalization onto you and other members of the human race. If I feel that way, I guess it is ok for you to feel that way also. If everybody feels that way, then no animal on the planet is worth a single human life.
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

I think all of this is a projection of our own feelings. I personally believe no animal on the planet is worth my life or the life of a family member. I can project that rationalization onto you and other members of the human race...

pretty elegantly said right there

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I think all of this is a projection of our own feelings. I personally believe no animal on the planet is worth my life or the life of a family member. I can project that rationalization onto you and other members of the human race...

Except the topic was about every human life, not a special one which a family member clearly is to each observer.

Except the topic was about every human life, not a special one which a family member clearly is to each observer.

see in blue

like a lot of debates, people have different views when it's personal vs someone else - I appreciate his ability to see that any person in the entire population is 'personal' to someone else out there - so applying our 'personal' opinions as a general position (or having the strength to accept our general opinions in our personal life) is the least hypocritical position one can take

it's one thing that amazes me here is that lots of people have two positions on everything, but can't admit it

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

like a lot of debates, people have different views when it's personal vs someone else

That was partially my goal of starting this thread.

I appreciate his ability to see that any person in the entire population is 'personal' to someone else out there - so applying our 'personal' opinions as a general position (or having the strength to accept our general opinions in our personal life) is the least hypocritical position one can take

Exactly!

It is why I was careful in how I phrased the question...

it's one thing that amazes me here is that lots of people have two positions on everything, but can't admit it

Will post a follow-up question soon (in a hurry right now).
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

> I personally believe no animal on the planet is worth my life or the
> life of a family member.

I agree, no one animal is. However, there are cases where killing that one animal may have long range consequences that would result in a lot of people dying. Those situations are worth avoiding IMO.

Also note that that's not really an issue with top predators. Killing off the last bee or fig wasp would have far wider-reaching ramifications than killing off the last rhino, and a great many people would die as a result.

Having trouble coming up with an adequate follow-up question.

I posted the original question for two main reasons (OK, three if you count I love these types of discussions for various reasons):

The first reason we touched on: personal vs. someone else.

The second reason is the problem with being quick to judge another person's actions without first looking at your own--I.e. what you would do if you substitute their X for your Y.

I voted "no" to my own question and accept that others might make my same decision at my expense.
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

Several years ago several forest fire fighters died because their supporting aircraft were denied permission to pick up water from a nearby lake that contained an endangered fish.

That would be an awful thing to happen. Not being familiar with that incident, I tried to find it via Google, but no joy. Do you have a story link and/or can you more specifically identify the incident? Thanks.

http://forestry.about.com/od/forestfire/ss/top_fires_na_4.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirty_Mile_Fire
A 2-hour delay was one of a number of factors that appear to have contributed to the deaths. But there was a delay.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

If everybody feels that way, then no animal on the planet is worth a single human life.

True. There are probably at least a dozen people in the world who would protect Michael Vick from some random dog he was fighting with. I'm happy to not count myself among them.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)