npgraphicdesign

Would religion prevent you from being in a relationship?

Let's say you are dating/fall in love with someone from an opposing religion (say Muslim/Jewish for example.) Or let's say your family is very openly against the religion of someone you're dating, to the point where continuing to date that person would cause a rift between you and your family?

How would you handle that?

PS. This isn't about me currently, but I have been in a similar situation in the past, and it ended for reasons other than religion.
PPS. Shah, sheddap. :P

altough i'm being accused of being a fascist racist, NO.. but i'd expect her to respect MY traditons! ;)
likewise, i'd try my best to respect HERS as well!

and no, i'm NOT religious! :|

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

altough i'm being accused of being a fascist racist, NO.. but i'd expect her to respect MY traditons! ;)
likewise, i'd try my best to respect HERS as well!

and no, i'm NOT religious! :|

So asking the other person to convert to Islam would indicate that they're not respecting your religion/beliefs? ;)

ps. you'd only expect her to respect positions, not traditions. :ph34r::P

It could. Not if it was any specific religion of which I can think. But if someone’s religious beliefs and practices were diametrically opposed to my core beliefs, e.g., extreme fundamentalist of almost any religion, Taliban, or FLDS, then yes, it would be a problem for me. Or someone who ridiculed any sort of religious belief/practice. I am willing to go a long way w/r/t embracing and engaging the beliefs of someone I am seeing seriously, very much including efforts w/r/t (placating, as it may be in cases) his family if that's something important to him & who he is. Those are my feelings tho’, ymmv.

I was the product of a mixed marriage -- Catholic and Methodist (back in the day when that *was* considered mixed). The Catholic side of the family was less than pleased.

It's an interesting question. :)
/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

Or someone who ridiculed any sort of religious belief/practice.

Oh come on. Some beliefs/practices just deserve ridicule. ;)

If ya share agreement on which ones those are, it's all good fun.
I like hummus, but I'm not Muslim[/url]. Should I be experiencing an existential crisis? :P

/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

If they were fanatical about it? (any religion, including the fanatical sect of atheism) it would prevent me. Ditto on fanatical politics, etc.

But it never would have gotten past the first few dates.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

It could. Not if it was any specific religion of which I can think. But if someone’s religious beliefs and practices were diametrically opposed to my core beliefs, e.g., extreme fundamentalist of almost any religion, Taliban, or FLDS, then yes, it would be a problem for me. Or someone who ridiculed any sort of religious belief/practice. I am willing to go a long way w/r/t embracing and engaging the beliefs of someone I am seeing seriously, very much including efforts w/r/t (placating, as it may be in cases) his family if that's something important to him & who he is. Those are my feelings tho’, ymmv.

I was the product of a mixed marriage -- Catholic and Methodist (back in the day when that *was* considered mixed). The Catholic side of the family was less than pleased.

It's an interesting question. :)
/Marg

Thanks Marg. I had a situation where my first (and only true love so far) was Muslim. I am Jewish. Didn't plan for it, didn't sit there and try to find a Muslim significan other, it just...happened. Head over heels in love, haven't found anyone like her since then...anyways, we talked about possible marriage. I know religion/spirituality was important to her, and I was willing to accept that. However, when she asked me if I'd convert to Islam so that the marriage could be accepted by her country (Morocco) I said hell no. I know there were other reasons behind it as well..such as her family not being tolerant of marrying anyone who's not Muslim, etc etc etc. I know that Islam/Judaism is a very exterme combination, moreso than any other religions out there...and I'm wondering if anyone else had a similar situation, not just with those two religions, but others as well.

Or someone who ridiculed any sort of religious belief/practice.

Oh come on. Some beliefs/practices just deserve ridicule. ;)

If ya share agreement on which ones those are, it's all good fun.
I like hummus, but I'm not Muslim[/url]. Should I be experiencing an existential crisis? :P

/Marg

Don't worry. I won't tell the DHS. :D
www.FourWheelerHB.com

I had a situation where my first (and only true love so far) was Muslim. I am Jewish. Didn't plan for it, didn't sit there and try to find a Muslim significan other, it just...happened. Head over heels in love, haven't found anyone like her since then

Sounds great, but doesnt mean you wont either (assuming your not dating any longer?)

we talked about possible marriage. I know religion/spirituality was important to her, and I was willing to accept that. However, when she asked me if I'd convert to Islam so that the marriage could be accepted by her country (Morocco) I said hell no. I know there were other reasons behind it as well..such as her family not being tolerant of marrying anyone who's not Muslim, etc etc etc. I know that Islam/Judaism is a very exterme combination, moreso than any other religions out there...and I'm wondering if anyone else had a similar situation, not just with those two religions, but others as well.

I have a friend here in kuwait who is about to marry a muslim woman and he has been considering converting to Islam. And my brothers fiance had to convert to Islam to marry her ex-husband, who eventually had her kicked out of the country. I saw her confronted by her kuwaiti ex, and three days later she was "kicked out" back to the phillipines. They have a child together and that is another story altogether. I can say that with everything that has been presented to me, she has no rights to that child. Converting to Islam is more than just a spiritual conversion (assuming one accepts it as truth), and you need to be completely aware of that especially if her family is very religious. I have some bitterness toward this woman for bringing my brother into the divorced family of a filipino (convert to Islam), a kuwaiti ex husband (who she married 2 times actually) and a 2 yr old fully kuwaiti child (as it relates to kuwaiti law, the child can never be filipino, and the father recieves monies from the government of Kuwait to support the child)... Its really sort of a big mess, but I cant control who my brother falls in love with, and, I believe he is in love with her, so my role now is to contain my bitterness and support my brother in his happiness as best I can.

The bottom line is, that my brothers fiance has a child in kuwait that she will not get to live with, and the conversion to Isalm has played a major role in the ex husbands attitude toward her, and he has used that against her in his mind and in his actions. Not only are the religions different, the cultures are different, and the traditions ect... You'll need to grow in sensativity when your families are together, thats for sure.

Nevertheless, religious families of both Judaism and Islam can either be moderate or radical. From what Ive seen, most families are more tolerant than what we often think when they see the happiness in thier loved one is pure. Either way use great respect and attempt to gain as much understanding as you can, because they arent going to change anymore than you want to right?

Ultimately though, I still say follow your heart. Barriers are made to be broken, I did make friends with a Palestinian Muslim who openly hugged me in public in the old city of Jerusalem, and I think about him alot. Hope that helps for something at least.
"We didn't start the fire"

I'm a Lutheran...My wife is LDS.

And if you know anything about LDS - that's a major no-no.

Causes no issues whatsoever.

Her dad kept sending missionaries to the house all the time to talk to me.

So I signed him up for a whiskey-of-the-month club.

I miss those nice missionary kids.
- Harvey, BASE 1232
TAN-I, IAD-I, S&TA

BLiNC Magazine Team Member

Let's say you are dating/fall in love with someone from an opposing religion (say Muslim/Jewish for example.)

So what? As long as they're not trying to convert you (and vice versa), you should be fine. I had several such relationships in past. And if she tries, and she's hot, you can pretend for a while you'll convert, and then dump her when you got bored :)

Or let's say your family is very openly against the religion of someone you're dating, to the point where continuing to date that person would cause a rift between you and your family?

Excuse me, do adult people still consult with their family whether they should date someone? I thought it ended up like 40 years ago!
* Don't pray for me if you wanna help - just send me a check. *