JohnRich

Ban military-style semi-auto firearms?

Ah, do you know what John does for a living?

I've known John, and of John for over 10 years. We jumped out of the same jumpship for a long time at SDH. Nevertheless, this is a place to certainly whine and cry about things you do & don't like. But jeez, enough is enough. All that to the side, we don't need people bringing these topice WITH PICTURES to everybody and their brother's attention. There are people here looking for just that kind of fodder. As i said, there are proper forums to post this kind of material, where even Dick Tracy couldn't get to the bottom of it.
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

Ah, do you know what John does for a living?

I've known John, and of John for over 10 years. ......

Thanks
You have confirmed my suspicions then. Not that I expected it but you have in any event. Oh, and by the way, the "whining" being done I do not feel is being done by him. Just my opinion though
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

AR and SKS owners: get ready to submit yourself for a background check. I suppose this would cover M14's/M1A's, and M1 Carbines too. And of course, this background check effectively registers you with the state as an "assault weapon" owner, and someone who needs to be watched closely.

Good! anyone that wants to own such a weapon should be ragarded as potentially dangerous.

You are right! I had never thought of it that way. You have opened my eyes! :S It is the weapon that makes the person dangerous, not the other way around.

I own an AR and at home it has a trigger lock on it. Not for safety. I put the trigger lock on for transport to and from the range and don't see a need to take it off at home(unless I'm cleaning it). It comes off when I get to the range. I have handguns around the house without a trigger lock though.

I think he makes a valid point, as wanting one of them indicates a certain mindset in the individual.

:D:D:D

Like I am surprised Mr Second Amendment supporter:D:D:D:D:D:D

You keep posting and the more we learn about the real teacher you do not want to show

Keep it up. and the truth shall set you free!!!!!

Abraham Lincoln

AR and SKS owners: get ready to submit yourself for a background check. I suppose this would cover M14's/M1A's, and M1 Carbines too. And of course, this background check effectively registers you with the state as an "assault weapon" owner, and someone who needs to be watched closely.

Good! anyone that wants to own such a weapon should be ragarded as potentially dangerous.

You are right! I had never thought of it that way. You have opened my eyes! :S It is the weapon that makes the person dangerous, not the other way around.

I own an AR and at home it has a trigger lock on it. Not for safety. I put the trigger lock on for transport to and from the range and don't see a need to take it off at home(unless I'm cleaning it). It comes off when I get to the range. I have handguns around the house without a trigger lock though.

I think he makes a valid point, as wanting one of them indicates a certain mindset in the individual.

You keep posting and the more we learn about the real teacher you do not want to show

Kallend *does* make a valid point - there *are* people out there with poor impulse control. There are, of course, plenty of people that *DON'T* have poor impulse control but you don't hear about them in the news very often - just the idiot saying "hold my beer and watch this".

Rhys' allegation that 'all gun owners are dangerous' is, of course, complete twaddle and should be dismissed as such.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

You have confirmed my suspicions then. Not that I expected it but you have in any event. Oh, and by the way, the "whining" being done I do not feel is being done by him. Just my opinion though

And you mine. This is your opinion, that's cool because you're 100% entitled to it. Although i might not agree with what you say, i will defend to the death your right to say it.

Don't make me go "Statistical" on you, because John by far (With Kaelland in close second) Whine & cry and post more stuff about this topic than any other members. Do your own research before responding to his defense. If John wishes to respond in his own defense, that's a different story. Unless your his Private P.C. I can't imigine you stepping in on his behalf. I believe John is an able bodied gentleman and more than capable of speaking for himself.

What I do know is John is not the persona at the DZ that he projects in these forums. When i see him on the DZ, he's so different, he's nice, cordial and is the first to help young SkyDivers out. Don't get me wrong, please I love him to death. If as many people cared about me, as do him, maybe JUST MAYBE i wouldn't be in trouble all of the time.

I don't know you, but I'd like to do some SkyDiving with you. Take Care.
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

Have you ever considered engaging the brain BEFORE starting to type?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Have you ever considered engaging the brain BEFORE starting to type?

Nice comeback:D

But I consider your open honesty right up there with Obama's. More than likely you will consider that a compliment huh :S
Abraham Lincoln

I hope you have a great Christmas and a fine New Year, Marc.

Same to you John. I also hope that your wife returns to good health soon.
Abraham Lincoln

Is a Corvette intrinsically more dangerous than a Focus? I doubt it. But the type of personality that wants a Corvette is, apparently, more likely to lead to problems.

Likewise, riding a Ducati is no more difficult/dangerous than riding a moped, right?

The difference in power between these two classes of vehicles is dangerous in the hands of the inexperienced, esp for the RWD Corvette before traction control came along. It's not very different from the yahoo who jumps directly to the sub 100ft canopies.

As an Airborne Ranger I hosted a contingent of French Comandos during an exchange with my LRSD unit. The French were blown away with our POW's (privatly owned wepons) They said if such wepons were availabel in France that even an honest man would turn into a bank rober. Their point of view was as informitave as it was shocking. It seemed their understanding of POW's was inversly preportional to their exposure to them. This prompted my First Sgt come up with an old latin phrase: aben-aden-donus..... aint been nowhere aint done nothin dont know sh*t to describe such people. A perfect example of this can be seen on utube. It is a congresswomen advocating the banning of "barral shrouds" Worth a look. Oh BTW aimed semi auto is vastly more lethal than full auto and one would know this if one was not abenadendonus (or French).

A weapon indeed makes an average person MORE dangerous. Do you really think Seung-Hui Cho would be able to kill 32 people if he didn't have access to guns?
* Don't pray for me if you wanna help - just send me a check. *

Here is an example how you could very easily, and legally, possess an assault rifle that has no serial number. Buy an AK parts kit online, as well as a stamped receiver. Bend the receiver, and assemble the gun.

Are you sure that possession of such assembled gun is legal?

What gun did Tim McVeigh use to kill 168 people?

I wouldn't consider him an average person by any means (nor were people flying planes into buildings, who killed much more without guns as well). But none of recent murderers was anything close.

I wouldn't consider him an average person by any means (nor were people flying planes into buildings, who killed much more without guns as well). But none of recent murderers was anything close.

So bombers aren't average, but a crazy kid that kills 32 people is average? :S

Here is an example how you could very easily, and legally, possess an assault rifle that has no serial number. Buy an AK parts kit online, as well as a stamped receiver. Bend the receiver, and assemble the gun.

Are you sure that possession of such assembled gun is legal?

Unless there are local/state laws being violated (mag capacity or something similar), yes.
It is legal to build a weapon for your own use.

Selling it (or even giving it) to anyone else is a different matter.

We have a couple that get brought down to my local range. Although not required, the owners put serial numbers on them. It's simpler to do that than to try to explain to a cop that it isn't necessary.
Yahoo Answer
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

A weapon indeed makes an average person MORE dangerous. Do you really think Seung-Hui Cho would be able to kill 32 people if he didn't have access to guns?

How is that relevant in any way?

"A does X" does not imply "B doesn't do X"

(BTW The reason Tim McVeigh got arrested was that he was carrying an illegal gun).

What does that have to do with the fact that a gun does incrase the lethal potential of the average person?

(I agree that a bomb would as well, so would chemical weapons...but that's all beside the point)

If your argument is that the average murderer would use bombs if no firearms were avilable, I would like to see some form of research that backs that statement.

Wanting one can also indicate several other things. Your illogical leap only fits your perception, not reality.

We know for sure that a similar situation exists with cars. A 20 year old driving a Corvette is charged huge insurance premiums because the companies have a wealth of data indicating that this driver is more likely to do a lot of costly damage than one who drives a Focus.

A 20 year old wants a Vette because he thinks it is much cooler than a Focus.

A 20 year old wants a Vette because he thinks it will attract women more than a Focus.

A 20 year old wants a Vette because he thinks his friends will think he is cooler for owning it over the Focus.

At least, this is what my brother-in-law in the insurance business tells me.

Personal anecdote does not equal data.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

But jeez, enough is enough. All that to the side, we don't need people bringing these topice WITH PICTURES to everybody and their brother's attention.

All of his guns pictured are legal.

This should really drive you nuts then:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vopYDdRSDoA

That's me in the front.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

At least, this is what my brother-in-law in the insurance business tells me.

Personal anecdote does not equal data.

Insurance premiums for different types of car ARE data, however. Go comparison shopping for yourself since apparently you don't believe me.

The type of (car/gun) you choose DOES reflect on your personality.

I would not consider Cho to be an average person. I would not consider anyone that goes on a killing spree to be an average person.

Cho got guns to do his evil wishes... McVeigh made a bomb.

The type of (car/gun) you choose DOES reflect on your personality.

Yes, but the problem is with you incorrect conclusion you came up with.

Which I already covered and you ignored, "Wanting one can also indicate several other things. Your illogical leap only fits your perception, not reality."

You stated, "But the type of personality that wants a Corvette is, apparently, more likely to lead to problems. "

Nonsense... I know plenty of 40 year olds with Corvettes, and MY insurance rates on a Vette would be LOWER than my current car based on history, age ect.... (I looked at them last year).

Your insurance example has two major flaws:

1. It is a PRIVATE company charging more. There is no LAW that says a 20 year old can't own a Corvette.

2. Your "dangerous" personality argument is really more about inexperience driving than the car.