Ron

My problems with God

Awesome, all of those are reasons i am agnosic.

and it is certainly good reson to believe that christians are idiots that have no clue about what they base thier lives upon, the same could be said for islamic and other religons.

good viewing and well thought out.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Entertaining, but regretfully lacking in the insight against which he rails.

Only saw half of it.

But I saw the part where he complains about keeping of slaves, beating your child with a rod, etc.

The Old Testament of the Bible is a record of the experience of mankind through the context of the Ancient World.
And the world at that time, was by our standards, a pretty fucking brutal, short-lived time. It was said that life at that time was "nasty, brutal, and short"

The harsh laws of the Israelites were par for the course back then. In fact many of the competing civilizations at that time also had human sacrifice, so the Israelites were at least above that. But at that time, PEACE was considered an interruption of WAR, and not the other way around.

You can see this in statistics. Military technology has VASTLY increased compared to ancient times, and yet a smaller percentage of modern people die in war than in ancient times. In ancient times, it was par for the course to deliberately slaughter every civilian in a war. That is not the case today.

We should be thankful we live today and not in ancient times. The brutal shit we see in Old Testament tracts are mankind's experience with God filtered through the context of their own brutal life & culture.

After Jesus, a bar of morality was set. It was a bar that got continually violated, often by Christians themselves.

But the bar was still there, even if some chose not to embrace it.

Jesus, without an army behind him (very rare to get anything done in ancient times), chose to say that there is VALUE in helping the meek and the poor. That love is greater than hate.

One could always say that God's demands on us are unreasonable who are down here as mortals enduring all this crap. So God bridged the gap by coming down here in all the muck & becoming one of us.

I'm not a very good Christian, but this is my take on things.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

A buddy sent me this and I have to say it strikes the EXACT reason I don't buy into the bible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvRPbsXBVBo&feature=player_embedded

I do wish there was a transcript I could read.

A transcript would allow investigative analysis. As near as I could tell, he starts failing around the 7 minute mark. As usual with the naysayers, the message of the New Testament is overwhelming without the guidance of the Holy Spirit.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

[

A transcript would allow investigative analysis. As near as I could tell, he starts failing around the 7 minute mark. As usual with the naysayers, the message of the New Testament is overwhelming without the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

I would say that is a cop out about the 'holy spirit" One that is in the Holy spirit is one who is not using all,if any of their critical thinking skills. The NT is so filled with historical errors, contradictions, and just plain hogwash that if one has to be in another state of mind to accept this as fact is scary. People drive airplanes into buildings using this logic.
To say Jesus was a good guy is just plain wrong, read the gospels for your selves. If you think Jesus provides a good moral compass you are heading in the wrong direction.

As usual with the naysayers, the message of the New Testament is overwhelming without the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

That is covered in there.

So you honestly think that God created the most painful of all places imaginable with the intent to torture forever anyone that does not love him?

And you don't find it at ALL strange that God USED to communicate to the masses and perform miracles, but just stopped doing all of that?

You don't find it interesting that the all knowing God created people he KNEW would become evil... so evil in fact that he decided to kill all but ONE family? And you would think that since he was all knowing he would have known that THAT family eventually would have also started sinning?

Best of all the BEST defense is for religious people to claim you need "Faith" to understand?

Again, care to discuss the points, not just claim you need faith? Cause, I could also state that Santa is real and you just need faith to understand that as well.... It does not make it true in anyway.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Only saw half of it.

But I saw the part where he complains about keeping of slaves, beating your child with a rod, etc.

The Old Testament of the Bible is a record of the experience of mankind through the context of the Ancient World.
And the world at that time, was by our standards, a pretty fucking brutal, short-lived time. It was said that life at that time was "nasty, brutal, and short"

The harsh laws of the Israelites were par for the course back then. In fact many of the competing civilizations at that time also had human sacrifice, so the Israelites were at least above that. But at that time, PEACE was considered an interruption of WAR, and not the other way around.

You can see this in statistics. Military technology has VASTLY increased compared to ancient times, and yet a smaller percentage of modern people die in war than in ancient times. In ancient times, it was par for the course to deliberately slaughter every civilian in a war. That is not the case today.

We should be thankful we live today and not in ancient times. The brutal shit we see in Old Testament tracts are mankind's experience with God filtered through the context of their own brutal life & culture.

After Jesus, a bar of morality was set. It was a bar that got continually violated, often by Christians themselves.

But the bar was still there, even if some chose not to embrace it.

Jesus, without an army behind him (very rare to get anything done in ancient times), chose to say that there is VALUE in helping the meek and the poor. That love is greater than hate.

One could always say that God's demands on us are unreasonable who are down here as mortals enduring all this crap. So God bridged the gap by coming down here in all the muck & becoming one of us.

I'm not a very good Christian, but this is my take on things.

The usual and expected claptrap apologies.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

A buddy sent me this and I have to say it strikes the EXACT reason I don't buy into the bible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvRPbsXBVBo&feature=player_embedded

More mumbo jumbo from you. The guy in the video nailed it

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Lame.

One of the things I have found amazing about the Bible is that when someone reads it, they seem to find what ever they are looking for. Reasons not to believe, reasons to believe, justification to sin, forgiveness from sin, reasons to exclude, reasons to include, and on, and on, and on. For me, I have found God and am humbled and thankful for the experience.

A transcript would allow investigative analysis.

Concur. A transcript would be useful, interesting, & ... perhaps even edifying in the subsequent discussion.

/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

I really think Santa Claus ruins God for a lot of young people. I did some bad things when I was a kid, and I never got coal in my stocking.

So, I'm supposed to believe that I go to Hell when I die, right? :S

Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

One of the things I have found amazing about the Bible is that when someone reads it, they seem to find what ever they are looking for. Reasons not to believe, reasons to believe, justification to sin, forgiveness from sin, reasons to exclude, reasons to include, and on, and on, and on. For me, I have found God and am humbled and thankful for the experience.

We try to proclaim a message of salvation from torment. We talk about receiving a gift of love which brings peace of mind and removes anger, anxiety, depression and guilt from our lives by revealing a new path and a new life. We are hated for saying it. We expect to be ridiculed and it has no effect because we know we are assured the final victory in Christ Jesus.

We are only to proclaim the gospel and the coming Day of the Lord. We are not responsible for the decisions or behavior of the others. Many are called but few are chosen.

Merry Christmas brother.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Anyone who believes that Mjöllnir (Thor's hammer) is capable of
leveling mountains is thought to be crazy.
Sounds like ridiculous superstition.

The Mayans believed for centuries that human sacrifice would overcome drought. to eliminate drought.
Anyone support that?
Dangerous superstition.

How about Druid magical elfstones? Invisibility?

All the past religions had sacred books.
Now we have a current crop of sacred texts and mythical beings
that are just as laughable.

Do people ridicule the current religions?
Absolutely, as they should.

After Jesus, a bar of morality was set.

There have been many bars of morality set in the history of mankind. Jesus did set one, but there were many before that, and have been many since. All have value. The presumption of exclusivity is greatly overstated.

One of the things I have found amazing about the Bible is that when someone reads it, they seem to find what ever they are looking for. Reasons not to believe, reasons to believe, justification to sin, forgiveness from sin, reasons to exclude, reasons to include, and on, and on, and on.

And that's exactly why the Bible as a guidance is a complete piece of crap.

Look on the Driver's Handbook, which was prepared by the least perfect form of already imperfect humans (i.e. government, who according to some people is inferior in managing things comparing to Private Industry). No parables, no bullshit, no kidding. And somehow everyone reading it gets pretty much the same message. Why a supposedly perfect God was not able to produce at least something like that as a guidance, is beyond my imagination.
* Don't pray for me if you wanna help - just send me a check. *

And that's what makes Christianity so hard to believe. The Bible can be interpreted so many different ways that there is no way to know what the correct interpretation is.

It's all an idea used to deny the fact we're responsible for our own actions. The only reason Christianity is so prominent today is that the ones who implemented, changed it around, re interpreted it over and over to fit their plans had with them the "guns, germs, and steel" to do so. The bible as wee know it today was written by man, altered throughout time, and influenced by hundreds of cultures by men with their own political/financial agendas. They took the teachings of Jesus (who was not the son of God. That is very silly), who was just very liberal, wanted people to relax, chill out, be good to one another (values) and that threatened roman imperialistic ideas. They then took his teachings and ran with it, changed things in the Old Test. to match the NT and bam.... superstitious people had no choice but to fall into the trap while the people at the top laughed all the way to the bank. The creation myths, afterlife myths, miracles ALL evolved from pagan myth which in turn evolved from studying the sky and building stories around them. Devils, demons, angels, gods, creation.... all stems from pagan myth.

Remember, if there were truly one way THERE WOULD BE... there would not be over 150 totally different mainstream religions with their own myths, miracles, and birth-death-rebirth deities. Christianity alone has almost 34,000 different denominations/sects/reformations. Many the same but many very different. I like to tell people when they tell me that their way is the only right way that if they were born in India they would be Hindu, have multiple Gods, and believe in reincarnation.