warpedskydiver

Coyotes kill woman on hike in Canadian park

Coyotes kill woman on hike in Canadian park

This undated promotional photo released by LW Communications shows Taylor Mitchell, 19. Tw...
By ROB GILLIES, AP
Thu Oct 29, 1:01 AM EDT

Two coyotes attacked a promising young musician as she was hiking alone in a national park in eastern Canada, and authorities said she died Wednesday of her injuries.

The victim was identified as Taylor Mitchell, 19, a singer-songwriter from Toronto who was touring to promote her new album on the East Coast.

She was hiking solo on a trail in Cape Breton Highlands National Park in Nova Scotia on Tuesday when the attack occurred. She was airlifted to a Halifax hospital in critical condition and died Wednesday morning, authorities said.

Coyotes, which also are known as prairie wolves, are found from Central America to the United States and Canada.

Wildlife biologist Bob Bancroft said coyote attacks are extremely rare because the animals are usually shy.

Bancroft, a retired biologist with Nova Scotia's Department of Natural Resources, said it's possible the coyotes thought Mitchell was a deer or other prey.

"It's very unusual and is not likely to be repeated," Bancroft said. "We shouldn't assume that coyotes are suddenly going to become the big bad wolf."

Royal Canadian Mounted Police spokeswoman Brigdit Leger said other hikers heard Mitchell's screams for help on Tuesday and called emergency police dispatchers.

Police who were in the area reached the scene quickly and shot one of the animals, apparently wounding it. But the wounded animal and a companion coyote managed to get away.

Paul Maynard of Emergency Health Services said Mitchell already was in critical condition when paramedics arrived on the scene and had multiple bite wounds over her entire body.

"She was losing a considerable amount of blood from the wounds," he said.

An official with Parks Canada said they blocked the entrance to the trail where Mitchell was attacked and were trying to find the animals to determine what prompted such an unusual attack.

"There's been some reports of aggressive animals, so it's not unknown," said Helene Robichaud, the park's superintendent. "But we certainly never have had anything so dramatic and tragic."

Mitchell was an up-and-coming folk and country musician who was nominated for a 2009 Canadian Folk Music Award in the Young Performer of the Year category.

"Words can't begin to express the sadness and tragedy of losing such a sweet, compassionate, vibrant, and phenomenally talented young woman," Lisa Weitz, Mitchell's manager, said in an e-mail. "She just turned 19 two months ago, and was so excited about the future."

___

On the Net:

Taylor Mitchell's Web site: http://www.taylormitchell.ca

http://www.myspace.com/taylormitchellband

I grew up just a few minutes away from where this happened, my mother just told me about it. Sad news. A lot of people are over-reacting back there; This was definitely a tragic incident, but it doesn't mean coyotes are going to start jumping out of the woods and eating people[:/]

I got nuthin

Biologists in Canada and the north-east US have used DNA to determine that coyotes have been breeding with wolves to produce what they are calling "coywolves". Lager than a coyote, smaller than the wolf, they seem to not have the same natural fear of humans that either parent species has. This could someday be a big problem.
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

"There's been some reports of aggressive animals, so it's not unknown. But we certainly never have had anything so dramatic and tragic."

I wonder if the female hiker was menstruating, which allowed the coyotes to smell blood, triggering an attack instinct, like when they smell the placenta of a newborn calf.

"There's been some reports of aggressive animals, so it's not unknown. But we certainly never have had anything so dramatic and tragic."

I wonder if the female hiker was menstruating, which allowed the coyotes to smell blood, triggering an attack instinct, like when they smell the placenta of a newborn calf.

I wonder if the female hiker was carrying a gun.
"Only fools and food enter the woods without a gun"- Cliff White

Blues,
Cliff
2muchTruth

Biologists in Canada and the north-east US have used DNA to determine that coyotes have been breeding with wolves to produce what they are calling "coywolves". Lager than a coyote, smaller than the wolf, they seem to not have the same natural fear of humans that either parent species has. This could someday be a big problem.

AWESOME!!!! Hybrid, mutant, aggressive man-eating coyote/wolf mixes! Where do I get one? I shall call it "fluffy"

;)

Very sad news...and shocking.

I live on the Canadian Prairies and grew up here over 40 years ago. I never once saw a coyote as a kid growing up. This past summer I have seen coyotes 6 or 7 times. Including spotting three in 5 minutes while driving to our cabin just 90 minutes from the city.

I have heard of coyotes being very aggressive on an off-leash area just a few blocks from where I live in Saskatoon. This summer the police shot a cougar inside city limits. There have been many reports of cougar sightings over the last few years in and near the city.

There used to be a farm family living on every section of land...most with a rifle or two or three and any coyote or fox that came near was shot before they had a chance to get at the chickens or anything else. I think these coyotes avoided all contact with us as a result. I don't think there were any cougars around at all as I never heard of any sightings. They were an animal that lived in the mountains of British Columbia.

These days there is nobody around out in the country as the family farms have disappeared and the wild life is flourishing. Are these animals losing their fear of humans because they aren't being shot at, because they haven't developed the fear of humans?

I used to tramp around in the bush near our cabin when I was a kid but I am very hesitant to let my two boys, 10 and 12, do the same after hearing of something like this happening as I know there are lots of coyotes around our cabin. I've seen them and I often hear them yipping at night.

Is this recovery of wildlife something that is happening in other places? Are incidents with aggressive coyotes becoming more commonplace?
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

I used to tramp around in the bush near our cabin when I was a kid but I am very hesitant to let my two boys, 10 and 12, do the same after hearing of something like this happening as I know there are lots of coyotes around our cabin. I've seen them and I often hear them yipping at night.

Yeah murrays,
you should be scared for your kids living way out in the wilds and all.

Maybe you should move them somwhere more citified- civilized ..,

Have you considered Richmond, Ca.?

Blues,
Cliff

2muchTruth

This is the first human death (by coyotes) that I've ever heard of. Usually they run off at the first sight of people or danger. These are normally timid animals.

I heard of a hiker once who was being stalked by a coyote. It was following him across the prairie. When it tried to attack him, he killed it with an axe. He had no firearm.

I wonder if this girl ran from these coyotes. That can trigger a response for them to chase whatever is running. Even in the city, you should know better than to run from a mean dog.

If you run from a bear there is a good chance it will come after you. That goes for most other critters. It's better to stand your ground, wave your arms, and holler a lot. I did that last summer with a black bear that was close and acting wierd. I also had a 357.

If you are confronted by an angry moose, you should run. Normally it will chase you a short distance and leave you alone.

It's too bad that more trapping for coyotes, isn't done. The price of fur, is so low that it is not profitable any more. The anti-fur movement has an affect on that too. After all it is inhumane to trap...:S

Here in Montana we have a lot of coyotes who end up with mange when they are over-populated. They itch so badly that they rub much of their fur off, and then freeze to death in cold weather.

I saw a coyote chasing a deer the other day. I've never seen that before. Usually they go after smaller critters like mice.

I've camped many times without any type of bear spray or firearm. Like someone mentioned. It may not be smart. I'd worry more about bears and possibly a mountain lion. Wolves aren't supposed to bother people, but that is possible too....

A woman menstrating could be a factor. Years ago there were two women killed in Montana, on the same night, by Grizzlies. They were killed by different bears, in two separate locations. Both were menstrating. There is a book describing that night. I think it was called Night of the Grizzly...

Biologists in Canada and the north-east US have used DNA to determine that coyotes have been breeding with wolves to produce what they are calling "coywolves".

I suppose this could happen. Normally a wolf will kill a coyote. They are competition for food. Wolves may be hungry enough to eat a coyote too. Many of these animals don't live on salad....

I've heard of coyotes who lure a dog away from a farm house and then several of them will kill it. I've never seen this happen though.

A friend of mine had one of his hounds killed and partially eaten by a mountain lion. He showed me the picture of a half a dog laying there. The lion had eaten the rest....

This poor girl, probably looked pretty tasty to those hungry coyotes. Too bad she didn't have a gun and know how to use it....

We have coyotes in my area. I've seen them a few times. They are elusive and shy away from humans. One night we had some windows open (with screens). My wife woke up to go to the bathroom with an open window. She saw one of our cats on the sill with his fur all spiked up and looking out the window. She looked out and noticed two coyotes sitting outside the window staring at our cat. When they saw my wife appear, they ran off like the dickens.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

We have them in our back yard all the time. (Actually one comes in, sits under our window and howls at the moon, which is annoying.) They're a size that couldn't threaten anyone older than about 5.

Living with wildlife is part of living outside an urban setting. It's not hard to live with them - but they are wild, and they live by their own rules.

They're a size that couldn't threaten anyone older than about 5.

Living with wildlife is part of living outside an urban setting. It's not hard to live with them - but they are wild, and they live by their own rules.

Yeah, I agree. They look like large foxes with their skinny bodies and bushy tails, with a wolfish head.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

>You are mistaken that they could not seriously harm anyone older than 5.

You haven't seen our coyotes.

>All they do is bite the rear of your legs, you are then crippled and on the ground.

So could a chihuahua, but I'm not worried about them either.

>You obviously don't hunt.

And you obviously don't know what you're talking about when it comes to coyotes. You know what they say about assumptions.

We have them in our back yard all the time. (Actually one comes in, sits under our window and howls at the moon, which is annoying.) They're a size that couldn't threaten anyone older than about 5.

I'm not sure if it would work but it would probably be a fun experiment. Get 2 or 3, fill em with water (maybe with a lil tobasco), and set em up in your backyard. After tripping once or twice the yotes probably won't come back. Or at least watch their distance.

http://www.alternativepaintball.com/mines.htm
www.FourWheelerHB.com