Gawain

Which City Will Win the Olympic Games in 2016

My brother has lived both in Chicago and Rio for extended periods. His wife is from Rio, and lives in Chicago. I'd say their experience probably trumps yours.

Rio has more institutional problems. And while Chicago isn't perfect, they both love it. Plenty of culture, stuff to do. Yes, they live in a suburb, but so do most people in the area.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

ah, shit, you're right.

Oh well, Spain can continue to be Europe's best kept secret. B| The place everyone skips on their tours of the continent...and ironically the most beautiful and least expensive place to visit :P

Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

This just in - Chicago and Tokyo have been voted OUT in the first two rounds of voting by the IOC. It's now down to either Rio or Madrid.

Makes me wonder if the USOC recruited Obama to try and save them, they might have known the IOC planned to ice them. The Euros are still unhappy about the bribery scandals in Salt Lake City and the bombing in Atlanta.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

The Euros are still unhappy about the bribery scandals in Salt Lake City and the bombing in Atlanta.

Not to mention the whole problem with people trying to visit the US. If we won't let any of the Middle-eastern athletes in it might not look so good for the Olympics :S

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

This just in - Chicago and Tokyo have been voted OUT in the first two rounds of voting by the IOC. It's now down to either Rio or Madrid.

Makes me wonder if the USOC recruited Obama to try and save them, they might have known the IOC planned to ice them. The Euros are still unhappy about the bribery scandals in Salt Lake City and the bombing in Atlanta.

After going out of our way to thumb our national nose at the rest of the world from 2002-2008, it doesn't surprise me at all.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

My brother has lived both in Chicago and Rio for extended periods. His wife is from Rio, and lives in Chicago. I'd say their experience probably trumps yours.

i've lived north of chicago for almost a year and spent a week in rio. why does someone else's experience trump my experience? i saw what i saw. most of chicago and the surrounding area is a big steaming pile of shit. i've seen it for myself. rio is similar to many south american cities that i have been to. large amounts of serious poverty that is highly visable.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

After going out of our way to thumb our national nose at the rest of the world from 2002-2008, it doesn't surprise me at all.

So... are you seriously trying to blame this on President Bush too?! :S:S

Is the former Japanese Prime Minister Koizumi to blame for Tokyo getting eliminated?

GamesBids.com has more reliable information than your speculation and blame.

President Lula Stirs More Emotion Than President Obama in Final Presentation

They have lived north of Chicago for over 10 years. My brother spent a total of 7 1/2 years in Rio, and his wife lived there until she was 24.

I think that time in place does mean something when you're trying to characterize a city. Note that it's still just their opinion, but their opinion is based on the above experience. I'd say I have more experience to opine on skydiving in the 1970's than some people. It's still my opinion, but I was there for a significant period.

Wendy P.

President Lula Stirs More Emotion Than President Obama in Final Presentation

He's a demagogue; it's his specialty :D

Wendy P.

So... are you seriously trying to blame this on President Bush too?! :S:S

I don't believe I mentioned Bush, but since you bring him up....
:P

Is the former Japanese Prime Minister Koizumi to blame for Tokyo getting eliminated?

Has he been going out of his way to piss off the rest of the world too?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Chicago out the first round

The IOC is a bunch of racist, right wing, bigots!>:(

Wait what? What do you mean most aren't right wing, or even white? They have to be.......they disagreed with Obama ....... they have to be racist. And only right wingers are racist.[:/]:S [end sarcasm]
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

Wait what? What do you mean most aren't right wing, or even white? They have to be.......they disagreed with Obama ....... they have to be racist. And only right wingers are racist.[:/]:S [end sarcasm]

AND[/B] they hate Japan too!! How dare they pick Rio!?

oh wait... maybe Rio made the best bid?

nah... couldn't be.

Rio apparently did a stellar job with the 2007 Pan American games; that had to count well with the IOC. And yes, the fact that the games have never been in SA would count for something.

There will be massive crowds, some crime (but lots of police presence to counter it), and a lot of tourists that will be shuttled as expeditiously as possible from hotel to venue.

It's also a stunningly beautiful city, with lots of great tourist attractions.

Wendy P.

Wait what? What do you mean most aren't right wing, or even white?

ohh, they ARE
they just don't know it

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Did he go there and flap his jaws?

In case you did not notice that around the world Chicago is viewed as the most corrupt city in the western world and possibly the entire world.

Now throw in a TV media ultra wealth type, a corrupt mayor for life, plus a president the world is really starting to distrust because he represents Chicago Politics, and you have a recipe for disaster.

Politicians and Media types should have kept their mouths shut and noses out of it.

Couple that with the fact that several events were not allowed to take place in Chicago because the mayor has decreed it and you have failure.

Yeah, if we'd had Bush as president still we'd've for sure nailed it. :S

Wendy P.

Me too, if it did get held in Chicago only the ultra wealth would have been able to afford seeing it.

The corruption and crime coupled with the mismanagement and theft of funds would have left the people around here holding a debt that starts looking like the 10 trillion dollar deficit that the president thinks is a good idea.